Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2011, 08:45   #16

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Fridge Fan??

Some muffin fans generate a LOT of RFI.
Don't ask me how I know.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 08:55   #17

Put one of those Stainless Steel vent covers with the rotating closure in over the fan hole and you can adjust the flow. two holes would be good, top and bottom. As said it ain't perfect but can be made better. I would get a really small or really low RPM muffin fan. Some refrige units have a buss where you can connect a fan to run only when the unit runs.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 09:02   #18

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Holes and a Fan..............

We built ours a few years ago.. used a "cool Blue" unit from Technotics (sp)..
We have a series of holes, 1 and 1/2 if I remember right from bottom to top.. 6 holes..
the cold always sits on the bottom, and it takes some time to find the right combination but start at the bottom and close off the holes.. I made little plastic circles and screwed them(with one screw) to the side.. like little doors allowing the cold to circulate into the refer..
We also had an issur of the cold plate freezing up.. By mountimg a muffen fan attached to the circut for the thermostat.. the fan is glued into the end of a Plastic "P" trap tube and lays on the bottom of the freezer to move the air around..
Odd thing, we judge the cold of the refer by the temp of the milk.. If the milk gets to the point of just where it freezes, we block the whole a little more.. Love my milk cold but not frozen.........
And your adjustments are not set forever.. taking into account the outside temp winter and summer, you might have to tweek it a couple times a year.....
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 16:01   #19

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

The standard Adler-Barber spillover system is a 1" fan mounted in a hole at the top of the divider on one end of the divider blowing air from the freezer to the fridge and another 1" hole at the top of the divider on the opposite end returning the air. The fan is controlled by a separate thermostat mounted halfway down in the reefer box.

If the box is well-insulated (and it should be if you are going to run a spillover system), and you access it normally (a few times/day - just not running a restaurant out of it), the need for defrosting should be limited to once every one to two months.

BTW, why two evaporator plates in the freezer. Are you sure these are not holding plates? If they are holding plates, you shouldn't have much issue with defrosting, as the frost will melt between freezing cycles.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 16:31   #20

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

The best dc fridge fans
JAMICON - Fans / DC Fans
Old 14-12-2011, 16:31   #21

Boat: Cal 2-29

[QUOTE=DeepFrz;837955]Don't you wonder at the thinking behind putting 3" of insulation between the fridge and freezer and then cutting a 4" hole in it?[/QUOTE

First thing thaat came to my mind. Maybe a rotary vent to control cold airflow.

JB
nylajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 16:54   #22

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
BTW, why two evaporator plates in the freezer. Are you sure these are not holding plates? If they are holding plates, you shouldn't have much issue with defrosting, as the frost will melt between freezing cycles.

Mark
I looked deeper into the fridge it is one Huge long curving plate that wraps all around 3 sides of the freezer. I have purchased a 15 cfm, fan, draws .18 amps I will wire it in with a T stat, and see what happens. The top diuviding plate seems to possibly have a small 1/4" to 1/2" gap at the very top. I will not be drilling any more holes.

Pretty sure this will help it.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator