Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2009, 05:45   #1

Freshwater pumps w/o Accumulator tanks

Does anyone have experience with the Flowjet, Shureflo or Jabsco pumps that allow you to eliminate the accumulator tank? Any poss. downside?

thanks.

John
jlubimir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:01   #2

Boat: Lord Nelson 41 S/V Fair Wind
Send a message via AIM to MJWEENZ
Our last boat, a Carver 36, had the Shureflo pump with no accumulator. The system worked OK but "pulsed" when on. I toyed with adding an accumulator but lack of space was an issue. I'm sure it would have worked better with one but was servicable without.

Mike
MJWEENZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:13   #3

Location: December 2014 Back in Marmaris Turkey getting Dora Mac ready to put back on the market.
Boat: Diesel Duck 462 M/V Dora Mac
John
My boat was built with a Jabsco pump that was promoted as not needing an expansion/accumulator tank so the builder didn't install one. The problem was the system has a hotwater heater in it. The pressure relief valve would discharge occasionally and I traced it to the fact that the heated water had no place to expand to. I installed a tank and now have no problem.
Randal
Randal Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 00:50   #4

Send a message via AIM to Daniel du Toit
Generaly you do not need a accumulator tank for your system, depending which pump you use. However, it does ,most of the time, eliminates that pulsating effect. You will also find that your flow will be better when you open your tap just a little bit. Personally, if I have the space, I will install one.
Daniel du Toit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 08:51   #5

Boat: Privilege 39
We added a small accumulator tank - I think the capacity is only around 16 ounces or so, but it completely solved our pump pulsing issues. It doesn't take much volume to fix this, and give a small tank a try first!
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 11:21   #6

Send a message via AIM to Daniel du Toit
I'm not to sure, just check with your local supplier, some pumps have a "set screw" that you can ajust to stop the pulsing effect...?
Daniel du Toit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 08:15   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Have a Sureflow - what a great upgrade.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 05:07   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randal Johnson View Post
John
My boat was built with a Jabsco pump that was promoted as not needing an expansion/accumulator tank so the builder didn't install one. The problem was the system has a hotwater heater in it. The pressure relief valve would discharge occasionally and I traced it to the fact that the heated water had no place to expand to. I installed a tank and now have no problem.
Randal
I'm confused...Jabsco recommends putting a check valve at the supply into the water heater.
They also suggest (in the instructions for there expensive accumulator tank) that it be installed down stream of the pump, cold water side.
When the water heater heats up, I don’t see it expanding back into the cold side because of the check valve, it would seem the accumulator should go in the hot side...is that where you put it?
Is the high temp no concern to damage the bladder?
Thanks.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 05:12   #9

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Just so we're talking apples to apples here, are these the new pumps with the electronic sensors instead of switches? Some have 5 chambers, some have 4...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 05:24   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Its the Jabsco VSD 17 has 4 little diaphragms and I'm pretty sure it got an electronic sensor.
Its run speed varies with use.
If I barely open the tap, it runs very slow....if I fully open a couple, it halls ass.
Old 17-03-2009, 05:38   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
Its the Jabsco VSD 17
Hey James! Thats the same model I'm looking at. Fully electronic sensor. Any pulsing apparent? Any need for an accumulator? It's probably the VSD 14 or 17 for me. Hows the output for showering? Too much?

Old 17-03-2009, 05:52   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hey Chris
I haven’t showered yet with it, but it moves plenty of water.

I went 1/2" all the way and have no lack of volume or pressure.

No pulsing what so ever.

I will mention that its not that quiet...it’s ok for me, I like to know its running.

My pump is in the bilge and I haven’t yet run it with the board all installed, so I imagine it will get a bit quieter...also seems to produce a fair amount of vibration.

But what about this concern of the expanding hot water...my tank is not yet energized or plumbed to the engine so I have not tested it, but have read what Randal said and am a bit concerned?

One other note….when it runs out of water it keeps running but has a very different sound, so it obvious something has changed.

Also it had no problem pulling the water up a couple feet from the near empty tanks with no prime what so ever.
Old 17-03-2009, 06:21   #13

Thanks James! As far as noise goes, IMHO never install a freshwater pump you cant hear. On a charter out of the Florida Keys, the stern shower nozzle blew out its seal right after my son showered. Unbeknown to me, we vented 80% of our fresh water before I found the leak. Thank God I was next to shower. Couldn't hear the pump run at all. So now we're approaching the Dry Tortugas for a several day stay, four people onboard and 15 gallons of water (besides bottled drinking water) left to share. Can you say rationing...

Oh, and on my boat the fresh water manifold will NEVER have all 3 tanks turned on at once. I'll end up with at least 50 gal. that way...

Old 17-03-2009, 06:25   #14

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
I have a VSD 17 and have had no pulsing issues. Shower pressure is just fine. It's pretty quiet at low flow rates but despite the advertising to the contrary at high flow rates it gets pretty noisy. It's located under one of the bunks in the rear cabin and will really make someone jump when someone turns on a faucet.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 09:11   #15
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
We have the Jabsco's (bigger model I think but with sensor) and they are just lovely. No pulsing and no breaking down. Before that, we had the same thing from Shurflo with many problems (these extreme things). They have too much pressure (65 psi) which can't be changed, started leaking etc.

We have no checkvalve into the waterheater. It's purpose would be to protect the plumber working on a mixing-faucet on the boat. (shut down pump, disconnect cold but get back-run hot from heater).

A nice thing we did: you probably end up buying a spare pump. If you have anything spare, they tell you to get a spare waterpump first. We decided to install it parallel to the normal one, with it's own breaker. This gives you: more flow when both are on like when flushing/emptying tanks; you know spare is working; flip a switch when pump brakes and do repair later; periodically switch to other pump so both get used and last longer.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote