Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2016, 09:46   #1

Boat: Moorings 38
Freshwater Pump runs continually

I have a 4gpm 35psi Jabsco multi outlet freshwater pump that runs very loud and continuously. It does pressurize the lines somewhat but not like it did before when it would run and then shut off once the pressure was reached. Before I rip it out should I also check the accumulator (the oldest piece of the system) first or is it the pump itself ? I would appreciate any suggestions or guidance.
Thanks
Captain Rob
CaptRob725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:55   #2

Boat: Privilege 435
Re: Freshwater Pump runs continually

I'm assuming that you mean 45psi? If the pump is running, it's not usually the motor that's at fault, they either run or they don't. However, the rubber cups that push the water through the pump get worn and the pump takes longer and longer to build up pressure. You can buy service kits for your pump and they are easy to fit.

It's not likely to be an accumulator tank problem. If you removed the pressure tank from the system, the pump should still get to pressure and turn itself off.

One more thing; you mention that the pump is loud? Louder than before? If that is the case, it's usually because there is insufficient water running through it. Are you sure there's no blockage on the inlet side. Do you have a strainer? Is it clear?
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:02   #3

You might want to read the troubleshooting guide in the pump manual. This is a recurring subject, which a search, too, can find.

Pump pressure sensor
Pump diaphragm
Loose hose connections leaking air (either side of pump)
Old hose with leaks

YOU have to play detective. There is no single solution unless you do your own homework and physical investigation.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:31   #4

It is definitely louder than before when all was working well. I do have a strainer and it is clear. I get some water at the Galley faucet and the aft head faucets but it doesnt take long (5 seconds) before the water stops flowing.
I have changed tanks from the inlet side and checked the others, one is low, but only by a few gallons. The others are full. I will search the WEB with the Jabsco model# to see what comes up.

More to come. Thanks
Old 05-02-2016, 10:36   #5

Unscrew the inlet nut on the low pressure side of the pump. It probably looks like a wing nut. If the water flows out freely, reconnect the net. Unscrew the outlet nut on the high pressure side. Turn the pump on. If it's not gushing water at 3.8gph (or thereabouts), then you know it's your pump and you need a service kit.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:02   #6

Ok, Now that I have dried off here is what happened. Unscrewed the inlet side and got lots of supply water from the tank through the strainer. Loosened the hi presuure side and turned the breaker on and got a thorough washdown of the galley with hi pressure water. Re-tightened it and ran the pump and all faucets are receiving appropriate pressurized water. The pump just wont shut off.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:13   #7

OK. Definitely your pump. It appears that the pressure switch on it is faulty and needs replacing. Before you do that, on the bottom of the pump is a small screw. It adjusts water flow. Try messing with that.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:00   #8

Ok. Definitely the switch. I adjusted the screw all the way in both directions, no change. I think I am going to replace it with a Shurflo as this model was noted as problematic in other forums.
Thanks for your assistance. fair Winds
Captain Rob
Old 05-02-2016, 12:45   #9

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRob725 View Post
I have a 4gpm 35psi Jabsco multi outlet freshwater pump that runs very loud and continuously. It does pressurize the lines somewhat but not like it did before when it would run and then shut off once the pressure was reached. Before I rip it out should I also check the accumulator (the oldest piece of the system) first or is it the pump itself ? I would appreciate any suggestions or guidance.
Thanks
Captain Rob
The freshwater pump is usually quite sensitive to suction side pressure. Too much pressure drop and it will experience cavitation. It wont flow anyrhing then.

Also check the flow rate. (Impeller condition)

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 13:40   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
The freshwater pump is usually quite sensitive to suction side pressure. Too much pressure drop and it will experience cavitation. It wont flow anyrhing then.

Also check the flow rate. (Impeller condition)

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Many (most?) freshwater pressure pumps are multi diaphragm types. They don't have impellers, and they don't cavitate.

They're generally perfectly happy to run dry, except that they usually won't reach the switch-off pressure on air.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 17:40   #11

There's a chance that your valves or diaphragms have got minute debris in them, causing the pump not to reach it's designed pressure ((I think it's 2.5 bar). I have had that happen, a good cleaning fixed the problem.
Old 05-02-2016, 18:36   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Sounds like bad valves to me. Bad valves won't let the pump build enough pressure to shut off the switch. Rebuild or replace the pump.

This ShurFlo should be a good replacement and the built in bypass circuit will allow you to remove the accumulator tank. A little extra room never hurts.
SHURflo Extreme Smart Sensor 4.0 Fresh Water Pump 12VDC 4901-0211 / New Mfg# 4148-153-E75
Old 06-02-2016, 07:41   #13

Boat: Cheoy Lee 41

I have a water pump that sometimes runs continuously. The pressure switch gets stuck in the on position. I took a rubber mallet and tapped the water pump side (not the motor side) and after a few taps the switch opens and the pump turns off.
n8kraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:05   #14

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

I had the same problem. The pump would run albeit very loud. Pressure would finally build up, but then would only last seconds when the faucet was opened. The pump was being starved for water.

My problem was a blocked filter from the tank. If your filter is clear, you may have a line blockage somewhere between the tank and the pump.
Kalinowski is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water