Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2015, 10:09   #76

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Fresh water makers best price and performance?

Sigh. I am going to give up on this point, but will say before I do that I don't think the OP differentiates much between $4650 and $5000 when he asked if all water makers cost $5000.

Also, all bets are off regarding finding a used system. Of course one might fill the requirements this way, but it wasn't what the OP asked, one may have to search for a long time, and one may get a pig in a poke - particularly if one does not have much experience with these systems. And there will not be any warranty or service help (Tellie and Rich excerpted, of course).

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:11   #77
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage Gecko View Post
I have owned a 12 volt Spectra and while it was OK and making about 28 ltrs per hour I thought it was good gear and it was my first Watermaker.Then the pump started to leak and I read somewhere on this forum you could get a reman unit for I think $450 USD.However that did not apply outside of the USA and the distributer here in Aus wanted somewhere closer to $2500 and dependant on the condition of the original pump add freight etc etc.I contacted Spectra in the US and all they did was refer me back to the Aus distributer.They are possibly good units but far too expensive in some parts of the world.
My current boat came with a 7 KVA Genny so I now have a 240v portable unit putting out more water in an hour than the 12 volt took nearly all day to make plus we can do the washing,charge the batteries,heat the water,boil the kettle,make toast etc all in an hour and as someone else said just for a few litres of diesel that I would need to use anyway with one of the motors if I want hot water.
If the boat did not have a Genny fitted I would still use a 240 volt unit via a Honda or similar.
We like to be independent so the convenience of not having to go into Marinas to chase water for us far out ways the cost of the watermaker and the means to operate it.
Chris

You are getting bad information. First thing is if you were the original owner of your Spectra the Clark pump has an original owner lifetime warranty. There is NO reason to spend $2,500 to fix a Clark pump, even for a second owner. A renamed one is 100% as good as new and is 1K less than that. I have never seen a totally destroyed Clark pump, ever, never, nada, zilch, and I've seen a lot of them, more than most. Anyone with a Spectra issue can call me anytime. Geesh I've been here for years on CF offering my help to any CF member.

Halden Marine Services | Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators

Call me anytime 24/7 ask for me J.T. at (954) 515-7077
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:16   #78
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Yes, the Spectra is a different in this manner because it essentially uses a boost pump as part of its pressure operation, and the Clark pressure booster is not a piston pump and is fairly impervious to pressure drops.

But it is pretty much unique in the field for this. Every other system I have come across recommends, or requires, a boost pump if the HP pump is to be mounted above the waterline.

I agree about spending money to get a good system. However, all I have responded to here is the OP's question about getting a reasonable output watermaker that can run solely off solar for <<$5000.

Everyone with Spectra's and inexpensive low output systems keep challenging me on this and misinterpreting me to have said that there are no watermakers that can run on solar.

But I have yet to see anyone present a system that meets the OP's criteria.

Mark

True to a point but if the OPs criteria is at this point unattainable he might as well have said a fully automated system under $500. The price difference is minimal for the proper unit to fit not just his pocket book but his needs and his boats capabilities.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:18   #79
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage Gecko View Post
Yes possibly a greedy distributor but I was advised the pumps actually went back to the states and was subject to freight etc etc.
But definately a Spectra problem as they would not deal or communicate with me at all and repeatedly referred my Emails
back to the distributer for them to contact me which they did but could or would not match the price. Not really customer service in my opinion.
If a company like Specrtra is not prepared to open their own doors in a country and only appoints a "distributor" then in my eyes that distributor is the companies representative and any good or bad falls under the original company banner and in this case bad and Spectra.Ive taken my money elsewhere.

Again, (954) 515-7077

PS If anyone EVER has a problem with a Spectra distributor or dealer in any part of the world remember (954) 515-7077
Old 11-07-2015, 10:21   #80

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You must have missed my earlier post. I purchased a used Spectra 380c for just under $2000 which produces 17 gallons per hour that was in terrible shape. I was only interested in the Clark pump, and empty filter and membrane cartridges. Then had Spectra rebuild the Clark pump, purchased two new pumps, new hoses, filters and membrane. Total cost for an essentially new Spectra 380c (Catalina) was under $4000 complete.

That's how you do it and meet the OP parameters.... Yes it can be done.

Yup. I purchased a used HRO with the clark pump and energy recovery system for $1100 shipped. The unit worked great for two years, but I wanted to replace the membrane before our Atlantic crossing... So, I bought a used non-proprietary size membrane housing for $50. New 2521 Dow filmtec membrane for $180 and fittings for an additional $50. Back-up feed pump for $150 from Surflo. All total... around $1600 with three years of use and it's moving into the new boat.

I bought a Kayadyn 40E first, but we needed larger capacity and the 8 gallons an hour of the HRO has been about perfect for the two of us. We run it off 475 watts of solar and still have over 15 amps charging the batteries.

Solar and watermaker.... two things I wouldn't cruise without.

Matt
Old 11-07-2015, 10:29   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Then you call me RIGHT NOW! My phone is always on 24/7 I promise I will take care of you and answer any quuestions you have.

Ask for me J.T. (aka Tellie)
(954) 515-7077
Thanks... but I'll decline the offer....

As you are in the US, anything you send will have to go through Greek customs and they are not working so well at the moment. It might take 3 days to ship it from you to Athens and then another 3 weeks to get it to Corfu I put my mast back on 2 days ago and it should have a new harken roller on it. I've heard "my" roller is still in customs.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:30   #82
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
I've had similar issues with Spectra distributors, but great service directly from Spectra. Got ripped off for $500 by a distributor in Marathon FL for a pump which would have been replaced under warranty direct from Spectra. Scum bags collected $500 from me and then collected on the warranty claim from Spectra. Spectra provided me the documentation showing this, but would not intervene. I was in transit so wasn't practical for me to pursue a small claims action, but I should have at least posted a BBB/Chamber of commerce complaint in retrospect.

This aspect of Spectra service is the only complaint I have. Spectra should weed out their problem distributors, it hurts their image in the marketplace.

Well since I am the only distributor for the Florida Keys as well you did not speak with me or my official dealer at all. This is not really your fault because there is a business in Marathon, that has to be unnamed here for board rules, that IS NOT, I repeat NOT a Spectra distributor or dealer for me period. That particular problem has been handled, but sometimes it still crops it's ugly head. The only legitimate dealer in the Florida Keys is RK Marine our own CF member Dulcesuenos. He is capable of handling anything Spectra need you have. If he is unavailable I always am.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:41   #83
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
They may already have done so. I am unable to find a Spectra distributor in Marathon on Spectra's website.

Because one does not exist in Marathon. The only qualified and AUTHORIZED Spectra dealer in the Florida Keys is in Tavernier. RK Marine, CF member Dulcesuenos.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:57   #84
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Thanks... but I'll decline the offer....

As you are in the US, anything you send will have to go through Greek customs and they are not working so well at the moment. It might take 3 days to ship it from you to Athens and then another 3 weeks to get it to Corfu I put my mast back on 2 days ago and it should have a new harken roller on it. I've heard "my" roller is still in customs.

Yeah, I'm sure that really sucks. But phone calls or E-mails aren't subject to Greek tax as far as I know. I'm always here to help if just for some advice.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:59   #85
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

OK, I think I've thoroughly saturated this thread.

PS Did I mention I'm here to help?

Old 11-07-2015, 11:02   #86
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Hehe thanks Tellie, your advice and help is always appreciated!
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:09   #87
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Sorry, thought I mentioned it earlier. It is a 30gal/hr 120vac CruiseRO system with two 40" membranes. We typically get 33-37gal/hr and nothing has gone wrong with it for the two years it has been operating. Very simple - it is a manual system that costs ~$5000 (see the CRO website for exact costs).

Mark
Thanks, Mark.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:24   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Yeah, I'm sure that really sucks. But phone calls or E-mails aren't subject to Greek tax as far as I know. I'm always here to help if just for some advice.

True, but they are subjected to NSA surveillance

thanks
Old 11-07-2015, 11:52   #89

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

A vote here for Spectra.

We have used a 150T for the last 6 years.

A rough calculation shows it has made 72,000 L or 19,000 gal. It has never missed a beat. Other than filters, the only other replacement has been the feed pump after about 5 years use. (about $300 from memory).
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 12:11   #90
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
A vote here for Spectra.

We have used a 150T for the last 6 years.

A rough calculation shows it has made 72,000 L or 19,000 gal. It has never missed a beat. Other than filters, the only other replacement has been the feed pump after about 5 years use. (about $300 from memory).
Now that I am happy to hear. We also bought a Spectre but it is still new at only 15 months old - I was getting twitchy as we shall be looking at a new WM soon for our new boat and was already fixating on Spectre. I shall have to get in touch with Tellie to get the information on warranties.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
price, water