Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2015, 06:34   #61

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Fresh water makers best price and performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
That's a problem with a greedy distributor, not Spectra. We ran into the same problem in Spain. Ended up sending the unit back to California ourselves and had it it (actually both) factory rebuilt for $425 each.
I've had similar issues with Spectra distributors, but great service directly from Spectra. Got ripped off for $500 by a distributor in Marathon FL for a pump which would have been replaced under warranty direct from Spectra. Scum bags collected $500 from me and then collected on the warranty claim from Spectra. Spectra provided me the documentation showing this, but would not intervene. I was in transit so wasn't practical for me to pursue a small claims action, but I should have at least posted a BBB/Chamber of commerce complaint in retrospect.

This aspect of Spectra service is the only complaint I have. Spectra should weed out their problem distributors, it hurts their image in the marketplace.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 06:47   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage Gecko View Post
I have owned a 12 volt Spectra and while it was OK and making about 28 ltrs per hour I thought it was good gear and it was my first Watermaker.Then the pump started to leak and I read somewhere on this forum you could get a reman unit for I think $450 USD.However that did not apply outside of the USA and the distributer here in Aus wanted somewhere closer to $2500 and dependant on the condition of the original pump add freight etc etc.I contacted Spectra in the US and all they did was refer me back to the Aus distributer.They are possibly good units but far too expensive in some parts of the world.
That's unfortunate. I assume it had to do with being purchased from the Aussie distributor, not the fact you were in a NON-USA location. I had my Clark Pump rebuilt by Spectra USA for their standard fee, but I was in Panama at the time. The transaction was very smooth.

My old (10 years) Clark Pump was leaking, but still functioning at diminished output. I wanted to limit my downtime, so Spectra agreed to ship me a rebuilt unit (for which they charged me full value deposit). I installed it and then shipped them my old unit. They evaluated it and credited me the difference. Net cost, excluding shipping, was about $500. Very happy with the whole process.

Spectra has also on several occassions shipped me parts at no charge under their original owner lifetime warranty.

Bottom line: by pass Spectra distributors if at all possible...except Tellie of course. ;-)
Old 11-07-2015, 06:51   #63
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Hoppy, from my experience spectra are unfortunately very expensive in Europe. Freight and tax charges I guess. The Ventura 200T is likely to be around $6000 in the USA and closer to $8000 in Europe.
We went with another energy recovery type made in France and are very happy with it
Watermaker SLCE and AQUA-BASE for yachts and land based applications
The other mentioned earlier in the thread looks interesting as well, made in Barcelona
Eco-Sistems Watermakers | Marine watermakers with Energy Recovery System
Seems cheap and easy to install with good efficiency. Maybe ask the OP about his experience with it.
Do you know the approximate prices of their basic 30 l/hr systems?
Old 11-07-2015, 06:55   #64
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Do you know the approximate prices of their basic 30 l/hr systems?
Yes, the first price I was offered was $4650 (yesterday) for a 25-30 litre 12v model drawing 15-16amps. This was from Sailfish who also sell reconditioned and warranted water makers, based out of UK.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:02   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Yes, the Spectra is a different in this manner because it essentially uses a boost pump as part of its pressure operation, and the Clark pressure booster is not a piston pump and is fairly impervious to pressure drops.

But it is pretty much unique in the field for this. Every other system I have come across recommends, or requires, a boost pump if the HP pump is to be mounted above the waterline.

I agree about spending money to get a good system. However, all I have responded to here is the OP's question about getting a reasonable output watermaker that can run solely off solar for <<$5000.

Everyone with Spectra's and inexpensive low output systems keep challenging me on this and misinterpreting me to have said that there are no watermakers that can run on solar.

But I have yet to see anyone present a system that meets the OP's criteria.

Mark
Greetings Mark,
There are several systems that meet the criteria, typically see:
Eco-Sistems S25 compact £2995.00 - Sailfish Marine - Watermakers, Marine Generators, Solar Panels and more..

It could be argued that a typical DC demand of 15/16a is too high but you are getting 25-30 litres per hour for this - the cost is £2995 (assumed no VAT if outside EU waters) which is around $4650, plus shipping. It is do-able. This has become a mainstream manufacturer.
I have seen several companies that offer these levels of supply.
Sailfish, who were recommended to me by a Brit cruiser, also sell reconditioned water makers with a warranty.
Hope this helps the original poster.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:11   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post

$12 per gallon is total baloney. ...
+1, even with the high initial cost of a Spectra. I paid about $6,500 for my Spectra Catalina 300 back in 2004. I've spent about $1,200 on maintenance over 11 years (including rebuild of Clark Pump, replacement of aging MPC control board, and a $500 rip off by a scum bag Spectra distributor...which should have been $0). Unit has about 800 hours on it (not on the boat so can't check exactly).

So 800 hours at a nominal 12 GPH is about $0.80 per gallon.

Also true that nothing about boat ownership makes financial sense. In many venues I could acquire water for less than $0.80 a gallon, but not at a remote anchorage in the dry season. When we first went cruising back in 2001, I learned quickly that the quest for water is the limiting factor of how long you can stay in remote locations. A watermaker gives me the option of spending extended time in remote anchorages while blissfully consuming all the water we want (sure keeps the Admiral happier)...4 months this year with never the need to acquire water...even with guests aboard...ahhh. Also avoids jerry jugging water...boy that suxs. For me personally, I'm happy to pay for that.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:30   #67

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1

The purpose of a solar watermaker isn't low cost, it's complete independence from shore, and survival in some conditions. The allure of a completely independent sailboat with a solar watermaker and fishing gear is very attractive to a lot of people.

The excuse I use with my wife is that it's survival gear, both for sea and for socal. If you're at sea, and your boat is rolled by a storm, and presuming you survived that but your rig didn't, and you've motored until you ran out of diesel, a solar watermaker and some fishing longlines are the difference between spending six months adrift or being dead.

Also, I live in Southern California, so I'll be able to sell water at $12/gallon and legally take long showers on my boat pretty soon...
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:35   #68
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
Yes, the first price I was offered was $4650 (yesterday) for a 25-30 litre 12v model drawing 15-16amps. This was from Sailfish who also sell reconditioned and warranted water makers, based out of UK.

The sailfish site is very expensive for new and used WMs. Note the price on the manufacturers site is 3000 euros, not pounds. About 3300 usd I guess.
The basic aquabase model is around €5000 ex vat.
You would need to do your homework regarding quality on the eco sistems. It's a new company and doesn't have the proven track record of satisfied customers for reliability, warranty and repair that spectra has. Spectra is pretty much flawless with their product, design, quality, after sales service and customer satisfaction
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:39   #69
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

A quick review of our WM here.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ew-128388.html
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:04   #70

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post

This aspect of Spectra service is the only complaint I have. Spectra should weed out their problem distributors, it hurts their image in the marketplace.
They may already have done so. I am unable to find a Spectra distributor in Marathon on Spectra's website.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:07   #71
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post

I agree about spending money to get a good system. However, all I have responded to here is the OP's question about getting a reasonable output watermaker that can run solely off solar for <<$5000.

Everyone with Spectra's and inexpensive low output systems keep challenging me on this and misinterpreting me to have said that there are no watermakers that can run on solar.

But I have yet to see anyone present a system that meets the OP's criteria.

Mark
You must have missed my earlier post. I purchased a used Spectra 380c for just under $2000 which produces 17 gallons per hour that was in terrible shape. I was only interested in the Clark pump, and empty filter and membrane cartridges. Then had Spectra rebuild the Clark pump, purchased two new pumps, new hoses, filters and membrane. Total cost for an essentially new Spectra 380c (Catalina) was under $4000 complete.

That's how you do it and meet the OP parameters.... Yes it can be done.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:23   #72

Boat: Skookum 53'

Thanks for the education Mark. I guess I'll be looking to install a water maker in the future.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:46   #73

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
They may already have done so. I am unable to find a Spectra distributor in Marathon on Spectra's website.
I am the the authorized dealer and service provider for Spectra in the Florida Keys. Not sure what company you had a bad dealing with Belizesailor, but I have been in place now just under a year.

RK Marine Service
Tavernier Fl
305 395 2783
RKMarineService.com

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:55   #74

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
Hello Mark, Dont keep us all in suspense - what water maker have you? what is the power source /requirement? output? reliability? simplicity? capital cost? 40" membrane? etc.
Cheers.

Sorry, thought I mentioned it earlier. It is a 30gal/hr 120vac CruiseRO system with two 40" membranes. We typically get 33-37gal/hr and nothing has gone wrong with it for the two years it has been operating. Very simple - it is a manual system that costs ~$5000 (see the CRO website for exact costs).

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:02   #75
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
My father recently sold the yacht he owned with my uncle. He ran the numbers from ownership and worked out that they could have paid for quite a few charters around the world plus the first/business class airfares to get there. I told him I will NEVER do the same number crunching. When it comes to owning a yacht, ignorance is bliss and best.

When I realised I would be stuck in Corfu 2-3 weeks waiting for my mast, I tried to get prices for the Spectra Ventura 200T. Neither the distributor for Greece which was actually based in Cyprus and the UK distributor could be bothered responding to my request. I don't know why they bother having "contact me" on their web sites if they can't even be bother responding. This was even before the current mess in Greece,

It's a lot of money, but as I will be onboard full time, the convenience of not having to go to a dock to refill the tanks will be worth it.

As I type this I'm starting to think I should have tried harder to find someone I can give my money to.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Then you call me RIGHT NOW! My phone is always on 24/7 I promise I will take care of you and answer any quuestions you have.

Halden Marine Services | Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators

Ask for me J.T. (aka Tellie)
(954) 515-7077
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
price, water