Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2015, 08:46   #136

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Fresh water makers best price and performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Tellie or any one else for that matter, any thoughts on Schenker

The specs on the Schenker smart 30 (30l/hr @ 9amps) seem to suggest a fairly similar performance to The Ventura 200T

Schenker watermakers - Smart 30 digital

You must have missed post 122 !!

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:02   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post

What has it got to do with Schenker?
Old 12-07-2015, 09:02   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post

That looks like a knocked off Spectra
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:49   #139
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Tellie or any one else for that matter, any thoughts on Schenker

The specs on the Schenker smart 30 (30l/hr @ 9amps) seem to suggest a fairly similar performance to The Ventura 200T

Schenker watermakers - Smart 30 digital

I don't knock other watermaker companies. Though the Clark pump is simple in theory and design it has come a very long way since it was first built for boat based watermakers. Making a mutant knock off is not as easy as it seems. What you may want to research is the service availability of parts. There is a distributor in Greece and only one in the entire US. I would plan accordingly.

Halden Marine Services | Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:04   #140

Boat: Skookum 53'

How is your service network on the pacific side Tellie?
Old 12-07-2015, 10:05   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
I don't knock other watermaker companies. Though the Clark pump is simple in theory and design it has come a very long way since it was first built for boat based watermakers. Making a mutant knock off is not as easy as it seems. What you may want to research is the service availability of parts. There is a distributor in Greece and only one in the entire US. I would plan accordingly.

They are made in Southern Italy and have distributors in Mallorca, Canary Islands, St. Lucia, Tahiti, New Zealand and Australia. Pretty much the route I would take if I perhaps sail home to Aus. For my cruising now, they also have one in Turkey.

I will not bother with the Greek dealer for pricing, no need to
Old 12-07-2015, 10:34   #142

Boat: Westsail 28

Rainman Desalination
And for a real world demonstration .
Rainman Reverse Osmosis - Or how we were saved | Sundowner Sails Again
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:42   #143

Quote:

There is frustratingly little info on their site which does make it harder to work out the fitting. Only the main unit and the feed pump have measurements.

The Ventura 200T & Schenker main unit are similarly sized, but the 200T's feed pump looks to be a much better size for me and the fact that I can download the manuals and read the fitting instructions does make me feel more confident about whether it can fit where I want it.

With the Ventura is there any problem putting it next to the hot water tank or will the performance suffer because of the extra heat?
Old 12-07-2015, 10:53   #144

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

If you are looking at an energy recovery watermaker look closely at warranty on the HP pump.

Spectra do an amazing offer here with a lifetime warranty for the original owner on this pump. Even outside this warranty they offer a rebuild for a very reasonable price.

There are really no other complex parts to manual Spectra watermaker. The low pressure pump is not expensive to replace (it is similar to the freshwater pump in a boats pressurised water system) and other than that it just a few pre-filter housings some hose and a gauge. There is nothing else to go wrong.

Spectra do charge a premium for their filters, but the major and expensive components are covered.

Sorry to sound like an ad for Spectra, but this sort of great offer needs to be acknowledged and factored into the purchase price. Unlike some other warranties it seems to work as advertised.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:25   #145
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
There is frustratingly little info on their site which does make it harder to work out the fitting. Only the main unit and the feed pump have measurements.

The Ventura 200T & Schenker main unit are similarly sized, but the 200T's feed pump looks to be a much better size for me and the fact that I can download the manuals and read the fitting instructions does make me feel more confident about whether it can fit where I want it.

With the Ventura is there any problem putting it next to the hot water tank or will the performance suffer because of the extra heat?

It depends on the "Extra heat". Most watermakers have some insulation and the small increase in heat is not a problem at all even in an enclosed area. I would be more concerned about an engine room installation too close to the engine itself. You can also contact me anytime once you are on the boat taking measurements and such to ask any questions you might have on installation issues. The success of any watermaker once chosen is very dependent on a good installation. Not hard, but having someone in your corner before you start work is a big plus. I'd check with Schenker about this as well during your research to make sure they will be there. I can't find any Schencker manuals at all. I'm sure they can be ordered but I would like to know what really comes with the unit and whether or not you have to order accessories like a fresh water flush.

Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:53   #146

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Believe it! I've got a Katadyne 40e and while small and inefficient compared to a spectra I've been able to operate it for 3-4 hours a day, as well as run the fridge and top up the batteries from overnight all with solar.
I run my Catalina 300 off solar. Very efficient at about 1 AH/gallon. We usually run 2 hours/day so about 24 AH for 24 gallons. I usually wait till solar output is good before starting. We have about 30 amps solar output max so on a good day I can run the water maker and add charge to batteries at the same time.

Even on a bad solar day, a one hour engine run of one engine use well less than 0.6 gallons of fuel (MD2020 burns 0.6 GPH at loaded cruising RPM, don't know exact charge only usage, but obviously less). Each engine has a 65A alternator so again I can easily run the watemaker and put quite a bit of juice back in the batteries at the same time on just one engine. At today's fuel prices that's pretty cheap water and I can do this for a lot of days before I need take on fuel.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:08   #147

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
It depends on the "Extra heat". Most watermakers have some insulation and the small increase in heat is not a problem at all even in an enclosed area. I would be more concerned about an engine room installation too close to the engine itself. You can also contact me anytime once you are on the boat taking measurements and such to ask any questions you might have on installation issues. The success of any watermaker once chosen is very dependent on a good installation. Not hard, but having someone in your corner before you start work is a big plus. I'd check with Schenker about this as well during your research to make sure they will be there. I can't find any Schencker manuals at all. I'm sure they can be ordered but I would like to know what really comes with the unit and whether or not you have to order accessories like a fresh water flush.

I was initially concerned about an engine room install, but it was the most convenient place go put it in my boat. I discussed with Spectra and they said they had tested up to 200F. Unless I have a fire, my engine room does not get anywhere near that hot.

So 15 years ago I decided to install in the engine room. I've had no problems I can specifically associate with heat.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 14:34   #148

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

It looks like spectra makes a compact version of the Cape Horn extreme... I wonder if that costs more and works just as well as the normal version.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 15:11   #149
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
To start, there is no exchange or upgrade program for a Katadyn to a Spectra. There was, for a limited time, an exchange for an older Spectra to a new one of the same model but it made no sense and was dropped.

Actually I was referring to the katadyn trade upgrade program from the 35E to a larger output katadyn system. The 35 45 and the 80 use the same membrane and I have the one in the 35 and a brand new spare that came with the boat
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 15:39   #150
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindLove View Post
In the end, isn't a watermaker just trading fuel for water? Most people I know run them off of the power from their generators or from the engine. Maybe they would be using the engine anyway for propulsion, but often they wouldn't be. When you run the engine at anchor so you can stay longer, then you are trading fuel for water.

I have a hard time believing a solar system could really provide enough power to push all that water under high pressure and still maintain the battery system.
Hi WindLove.....its just a question of having enough space to mount enough solar panels. Earlier postings reference this.
If you manage this arrangement you'll love the results!
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
price, water