Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2010, 16:31   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: caribbean winter, Durango,CO summer
Boat: Nordhavn 5740
Posts: 455
Images: 4
Freezer Insulation ?

I am thinking of adding more insulation to my freezer. What is the current material of choice? How should it be attached to the existing fiberglass liner? And what should I use to cover the added insulation to build a new, smaller, box?
__________________

__________________
gbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 18:19   #2
Registered User
 
pressuredrop's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: West Palm Beach
Boat: Allied Seawind 30
Posts: 794
here this might be of some assistance, Follow-Up to 'Building an Ice Box' - Built !

best material is the blueboard stiff, R5 per inch, and they say you want R30 for a freezer, so 6 or 7 inchs of insulation total, if you piss money get VIP (vacuum insulated panels)...
__________________

__________________
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 21:55   #3
Senior Cruiser
 
osirissail's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: A real life Zombie from FL
Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Posts: 5,416
Images: 2
There is a material known as R-Max board with is a foam board with aluminum foil facing. It has a R-factor of 5.9 per 1 inch thickness. You used to be able to buy it in Home Depot. Other insulation boards are available such as Dwyer Aluminum Mast Company- Manufacturers of Quality Sailboat Masts, Booms, Hardware and Rigging Since 1963. which has an R-value of 6.5 per 1 inch of thickness.
- - All the boards need to be put in place and then a protective layer of poly sheeting/film is put in before inserting the final box walls. The plastic sheeting (film)
is for waterproofing the foam board. Any water seeping into the foam or spaces between layers of foam will reduce the R-value to 1 as water is a great conductor of heat.
__________________
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 08:58   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Leucadia, California
Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru
Posts: 428
I used a material called Aspen Aerogel Spaceloft. It has a R-10.3 value per 1 inch. It is a blanket material, dimensions 3/8"thick by 72" wide sold in rolls. I wrapped 8 layers of the material around the finished FRP box's. Then stretched 6 mil vis queen around the Aerogel taped up the joins with duct tape. Then set the finished cocoon inside the joinery. Poured 4 lb polyurethane foam around the suspended unit. I did use R-parts vacuum lid/hatches. I have not yet commissioned the boat so I can not yet report on the effectiveness of the material. On paper I should have in excess of R-35 for the box. On the hull side of the box I have the 8 layers plus an average of 4" of foam. The hatches have the lowest R value in my system. I see that Glacier Bay are now using Aerogel inside of their vacuum panels. Here is a link to the guys I bought the material from. Aspen AeroGel Spaceloft Insul-Cap -Anchor Companies if you use this material wear a respirator it is hard on the lungs. Jack
__________________
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 09:35   #5
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevens 47 View Post
I used a material called Aspen Aerogel Spaceloft. It has a R-10.3 value per 1 inch. It is a blanket material, dimensions 3/8"thick by 72" wide sold in rolls. I wrapped 8 layers of the material around the finished FRP box's. Then stretched 6 mil vis queen around the Aerogel taped up the joins with duct tape. Then set the finished cocoon inside the joinery. Poured 4 lb polyurethane foam around the suspended unit. I did use R-parts vacuum lid/hatches. I have not yet commissioned the boat so I can not yet report on the effectiveness of the material. On paper I should have in excess of R-35 for the box. On the hull side of the box I have the 8 layers plus an average of 4" of foam. The hatches have the lowest R value in my system. I see that Glacier Bay are now using Aerogel inside of their vacuum panels. Here is a link to the guys I bought the material from. Aspen AeroGel Spaceloft Insul-Cap -Anchor Companies if you use this material wear a respirator it is hard on the lungs. Jack
Hello Jack,

Did a quick look at the Aspen web site and the Aerogel does sound interesting. Made from silicon dioxide aka silica or sand. The insulating properties look excellent but is based on the trapped air in the matrix which their website describe as like a sponge.

Did you have any information on the water absorption characteristecs? If this stuff soaks up water like a sponge the R value would drop dramatically. For the Glacier Bay panels since the Aerogel is sealed it's not an issue but as open insulation I wonder.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 10:09   #6
Vendor
 
witzgall's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Eastern Shore, MD
Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Posts: 1,775
Where?

Where did you buy the spaceloft?

Chris


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevens 47 View Post
I used a material called Aspen Aerogel Spaceloft. It has a R-10.3 value per 1 inch. It is a blanket material, dimensions 3/8"thick by 72" wide sold in rolls. I wrapped 8 layers of the material around the finished FRP box's. Then stretched 6 mil vis queen around the Aerogel taped up the joins with duct tape. Then set the finished cocoon inside the joinery. Poured 4 lb polyurethane foam around the suspended unit. I did use R-parts vacuum lid/hatches. I have not yet commissioned the boat so I can not yet report on the effectiveness of the material. On paper I should have in excess of R-35 for the box. On the hull side of the box I have the 8 layers plus an average of 4" of foam. The hatches have the lowest R value in my system. I see that Glacier Bay are now using Aerogel inside of their vacuum panels. Here is a link to the guys I bought the material from. Aspen AeroGel Spaceloft Insul-Cap -Anchor Companies if you use this material wear a respirator it is hard on the lungs. Jack
__________________
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 20:30   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Leucadia, California
Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru
Posts: 428
Quote:
Did you have any information on the water absorption characteristecs? If this stuff soaks up water like a sponge the R value would drop dramatically. For the Glacier Bay panels since the Aerogel is sealed it's not an issue but as open insulation I wonder.
No specific info. I would agree that in a open situation there could be a problem. The loose powder drew all the moisture from my skin, got a whiff without my respirator on not nice. My goal was to create a sealed a plastic membrane to repel moisture. The polyurethane on its expansion should have pressed the membrane tight against the FRP boxes. So we will see if it is effective in the long term. The product is used in thin construction panels in Europe. This link has more info ASPEN AEROGELS | Case Studies

Quote:
Where did you buy the spaceloft?
From the guys in the first link.

Jack
__________________
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 20:39   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Leucadia, California
Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru
Posts: 428
Quote:
Did you have any information on the water absorption characteristecs? If this stuff soaks up water like a sponge the R value would drop dramatically. For the Glacier Bay panels since the Aerogel is sealed it's not an issue but as open insulation I wonder.
Come to think of it. I have some scraps left over I should I should try immersing it in water to see how it absorbs. I will post the results. From memory when I was handling it, it created a silicone like film on my hand and other surfaces, water would bead on my skin. I had to use soap and warm water to clean the painted surfaces in the boat.
__________________
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 20:42   #9
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevens 47 View Post
Come to think of it. I have some scraps left over I should I should try immersing it in water to see how it absorbs. I will post the results. From memory when I was handling it, it created a silicone like film on my hand and other surfaces, water would bead on my skin. I had to use soap and warm water to clean the painted surfaces in the boat.
Interesting idea. Look forward to the results. Don't forget the respirator.
__________________

__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
freezer, insulation

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
insulation and airflow yacht_planb Construction, Maintenance & Refit 7 12-07-2013 20:51
Improving Insulation on Existing Fridge / Freezer sailorgal Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 1 17-04-2010 07:21
Ice Box Insulation Hi Ho Construction, Maintenance & Refit 4 03-01-2010 07:51
Insulation... Himself Construction, Maintenance & Refit 1 14-11-2009 18:42
insulation Hankthelank Monohull Sailboats 25 30-01-2009 16:54



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:13.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.