Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2018, 11:57   #1

Boat: 42' Grand Banks M/Y
found fix for shower head dribble

Hi All,

While i'm unable to find the thread, I've read discussion here about how to efficiently stop the flow of water through a shower head for a "wash cycle" and have it come back on again at the same temp at which it was paused.

I found the answer on an RV site along with shower head reviews. The short answer is to install this: https://www.amazon.com/K1140B-Shower...ddictbutton-20

It can be installed at the shower head or by the faucets. I've installed one and it performs as advertised. I did get a slight spike in hot water after restarting the water flow so a little caution is still advised. Here's a link to the whole article: https://campaddict.com/rv-shower-head/
Blaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 13:34   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: found fix for shower head dribble

Yea I found one of those at my neighborhood hardware store years ago. Works like a champ
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 03:37   #3

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I was going to post a link to the shut-off valve I bought, because it works great.

Turns out it's the same one Blaine posted a link to!

I bought another one for the house. I love these things! No more dribble out the shower head while soaping up.

There are two things to consider. (1) If you struggle with remembering to turn things off, you may want to leave that dribble to remind you, and (2) the hot and cold valves are still open while this valve is off, so you may get a momentary "blast" of hot or cold when you turn it back on. It's best to stay out of the stream for that moment. I suspect it's because there's some back-flow one way or the other, based on pressure differences in the system.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 03:56   #4

Boat: Kristen 52

After searching without any luck for a shower head that shuts completely off......
I installed a conventional garden nozzle, not very elegant but works great and got one that is the wife's favorite color.
My old boat had one that shut off completely, I did have the problem of temperature change due to pressure difference of hot/ cold. Solved that with check valves Right before taps.
Old 20-05-2018, 10:35   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom45 View Post
...I did have the problem of temperature change due to pressure difference of hot/ cold. Solved that with check valves Right before taps.
Good idea. I hadn't thought of that. Next time I'm in there doing any plumbing work, this is going on the list!
Old 21-05-2018, 01:29   #6

Location: South Africa curent saling to the Bahamas from Annapolis
Boat: Knysna 500SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine View Post
Hi All,

While i'm unable to find the thread, I've read discussion here about how to efficiently stop the flow of water through a shower head for a "wash cycle" and have it come back on again at the same temp at which it was paused.

I found the answer on an RV site along with shower head reviews. The short answer is to install this: https://www.amazon.com/K1140B-Shower...ddictbutton-20

It can be installed at the shower head or by the faucets. I've installed one and it performs as advertised. I did get a slight spike in hot water after restarting the water flow so a little caution is still advised. Here's a link to the whole article: https://campaddict.com/rv-shower-head/
Hi Blaine
I am busy with a new yacht build and am interested in your post so that I can do it right first time. Please help here ....... I dont understand what you mean by "wash cycle" in your shower rose. I also dont fully understand the problem you are trying to solve.
If you could elaborate some it would really be appreciated.
Thanks
Lambretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 05:00   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambretta View Post
Hi Blaine
I am busy with a new yacht build and am interested in your post so that I can do it right first time. Please help here ....... I dont understand what you mean by "wash cycle" in your shower rose. I also dont fully understand the problem you are trying to solve.
If you could elaborate some it would really be appreciated.
Thanks
I think the "problem" is that most water-saving shower shut-offs don't really shut the water off. They reduce it to a dribble.

I believe this is done for two reasons: (1) keeping some water flowing keeps the hot or cold water (whichever has slightly more pressure) from wandering into the "other" pipe, and (2) some people forget to turn off the valves after the shower. In both cases, the solution is to never really turn off the flow.

Some of us find that annoying and a little condescending. Not to mention that we're still wasting some water, even if we turn "off" the flow to soap up (the "wash" cycle) before turning it back on to rinse off (the "rinse" cycle.)

Another problem is if you have two shower heads (say, a regular one plus a hand-held one,) and each has a shut-off which dribbles. No matter which one you use, the other one is still, well, dribbling. The fix is to install a "real" shut-off valve at the offending fixture(s).
Old 21-05-2018, 05:32   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I think the "problem" is that most water-saving shower shut-offs don't really shut the water off. They reduce it to a dribble.

I believe this is done for two reasons: (1) keeping some water flowing keeps the hot or cold water (whichever has slightly more pressure) from wandering into the "other" pipe, and (2) some people forget to turn off the valves after the shower. In both cases, the solution is to never really turn off the flow.

Some of us find that annoying and a little condescending. Not to mention that we're still wasting some water, even if we turn "off" the flow to soap up (the "wash" cycle) before turning it back on to rinse off (the "rinse" cycle.)

Another problem is if you have two shower heads (say, a regular one plus a hand-held one,) and each has a shut-off which dribbles. No matter which one you use, the other one is still, well, dribbling. The fix is to install a "real" shut-off valve at the offending fixture(s).
Thanks for the comprehensive reply ..... all makes sense now ...... and I have ordered some of the in line cut off valves from Amazon
Old 22-05-2018, 13:29   #9

Boat: 42' Grand Banks M/Y

Hi Lambretta,

CaptTom pretty much covered it. Many shower heads are sold with a "pause" switch or button to halt the water flow while you lather up, (which I facetiously
referred to as a wash cycle). The idea is to save water by not having to turn the faucets back on and readjust the temperature when you're ready to rinse off, thus saving water. The problem is that most of these suck (and I mean that purely in the professional plumbing sense )

The valve I posted a link to was proven to solve this problem by the authors of the article I also linked to. I think it would be informative for you to check it out. They also reveal the best shower head for you to spec in your new build. Good Luck!
Blaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 22:54   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine View Post
Hi Lambretta,

CaptTom pretty much covered it. Many shower heads are sold with a "pause" switch or button to halt the water flow while you lather up, (which I facetiously
referred to as a wash cycle). The idea is to save water by not having to turn the faucets back on and readjust the temperature when you're ready to rinse off, thus saving water. The problem is that most of these suck (and I mean that purely in the professional plumbing sense )

The valve I posted a link to was proven to solve this problem by the authors of the article I also linked to. I think it would be informative for you to check it out. They also reveal the best shower head for you to spec in your new build. Good Luck!
Appreciate the feedback and have checked out the article ...... and ordered the valves and the recommended shower heads ..... it is amazing what I have learnt and picked up on this forum over the years to help in my decision to buy and then to enhance my build process
Old 19-04-2019, 04:52   #11

Many thanks for above information. I was facing the same situation earlier this month and decided, based on reading this thread here and others, to order a shower head plus that separate shut off valve referred to above. It works fine for me but I couldn't believe how hard it is to figure out what shower head to order and this whole thing with the shut off valve. Sometimes the easy things ain't easy for us campers. The article mentioned above as well as this thread here explain it well though and I also found their advice to be confirmed on other sites like this one here: https://mycamperfriend.com/rv-shower-head/

Been following this forum for a while and benefitted many times from it. This time, the forum helping me solve the shower header question made me happy enough to turn from a "silent follower" to someone who may be able to contribute here and there as well.
ClarkPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 15:52   #12

Boat: Nonsuch 30 Classic

I replaced my shower head that quick connect to the head sink tap with a kitchen sink rinse sprayer. nice spray, easy to use blinded by soap\,inexspensive!!
Fishbone 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 17:35   #13

Boat: Krogen 42

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0694.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	396.1 KB
ID:	194868
Old 28-06-2019, 02:32   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Clark.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, rib, shower