Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2007, 13:05   #1

Boat: c&c landfall 43
force 10 water heater

anyone installed this unit before? or any advice? having trouble with getting hot water using the engine. going thru the trouble shooting now but any advice would be great
limmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2007, 13:23   #2
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Just installed one on Thursday. Followed instructions. No problems. Only have an hour or two running on engine and it warms the water. River is still pretty cold and engine won't go over 120 degs.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2007, 13:28   #3

did you install a bypass from the engine coolant out line to the in line before the water heater because i missed that part of the install also did you have air in the lines creating an air lock? thinking this might be my problem
Old 24-06-2007, 15:58   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
The bypass is critical. If it isn't installed, the valve shuts off coolant flow to the engine and the engine overheats. This isn't completely obvious from the instructions and IMO is a silly way to rig a hot water heater. The non-scald device is one of those things that protect you from yourself, but I don't think destroying the engine to prevent a possible hot water burn is a good tradeoff. I helped a friend install one and we simply shorted around the anti-scald device. Rigging a bypass loop was simply too complicated for the installation space and existing plumbing.

Mark
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2007, 12:13   #5

thanks mark ya when i looked at the instructions closer i realized that i have seperate lines for the water heater and it is not in line with the engine everything seems to be working now cheers jeff
Old 04-07-2008, 07:34   #6

Boat: Gulfstar SM 40
I have never been able to get any heat from the engine to the Force 10 water heater. I made sure there was no air, and put a separate header tank for the heater. I cannot mount my heater below the level of the engine hot water circuit. I used the factory installed hot water heater circuit points that Beta installed for me on my new 50 hp engine. I am thinking that there is simply not enough pressure in the system to get the coolant to flow the 12 inches or so, up to the top of the heater. Any suggestions? Also I am thinking of installing a 12V heater element instead of the 110V, so that I can use the excess power from my solar panels to heat the water. Now, by using the inverter, there is a residual draw of about 100 amps (at noon when I am getting 30 amps from my panels) from my batteries, which I think could damage them? I am at home now and I do not know if the factory element is a bolt in or screw in. If anyone knows, let me know!

Any suggestions would be appreciated,
Doug
Gulfstar 40
SkipperDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:48   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipperDoug View Post
... I am thinking of installing a 12V heater element instead of the 110V, so that I can use the excess power from my solar panels to heat the water...
12V Water Heaters are excellent as Solar/Wind power “Diversion Loads”.
A 300 Watt Heating Element is capable of heating 6 gallons (smallest Force 10) of water from 75 F. to 120 F. in about 2 hours; which would consume about 50 Amp/Hours of energy (@ 12VDC).

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:17   #8

Boat: Seafarer 30 Impetuous
SkipperDoug - I have a Force 10, but it doesn't heat very well, as my engine is raw water cooled, and only heats to approx 130 degrees, instead of 180, or so. Then there would be loss in the tranfer of heat.

Re: your issue - A friend of mine has a fresh water cooled Yanmar. His old water heater died, so he replaced with a Force 10. He could get hot water, until he took off the anti-scald valve all together, and ran directly into the hot water in (as the unit came a couple years ago before the anti-scald device). He said it made a big difference. Although he claims his old, different model worked better, and kept water hot longer (ie still had warm water in the morning)

Of course, if removing the anti-scald device, you would have to be careful it wasn't too hot at the taps - especially if there are kids aboard, etc.
*** I am not recommeding this, just passing on Friend's solution****
Northeaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 18:38   #9

Boat: Conser 47 Shearwater
12 volt heaters

You mention 12 volt water heaters...are there such athing? I have a big bank of solar panels ....about 400 watts worth and would love to avoid an engine heat exchanger unit....

any ideas? what do you mean by 'diversion loads'

many thanks
david

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
12V Water Heaters are excellent as Solar/Wind power “Diversion Loads”.
A 300 Watt Heating Element is capable of heating 6 gallons (smallest Force 10) of water from 75 F. to 120 F. in about 2 hours; which would consume about 50 Amp/Hours of energy (@ 12VDC).
dpollitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:49   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
A “Diversion” or “Dump” Load is used to prevent battery over charging on Wind, Solar, & Hydro generating systems. When your batteries are fully charged, the output is diverted to another load, such as an electric water heater.

More:

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/339/docserve.aspx

12VDC Water Heater (diversion) Elements:
Diversion Loads @ Survival Unlimited.com - Water Heater Elements, Air Heaters, DC water heaters, DC air heaters

31 Water and Air Heating Diversion Loads for Charge Controllers

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote