Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2012, 02:28   #1

Boat: Outremer 40/43
Extra Drive Belt on a Yanmar 3 GM

I am looking to mount a belt driven Echotech Watermaker pump on my Yanmar 3GM.
Space is very limited as e boat is a catamaran and Ccess is over the back. I can easily get a piggyback pulley for the flywheel but M looking for inspiration to mount the pump itself????

Has anyone done this or seen it done somewhere?
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 08:11   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Extra drive belt on a Yanmar 3 GM

I've built a few watermakers in my time. I don't recommend adding high pressure pumps to smaller diesels like the 3GM.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 10:12   #3

Tellie
Thanks for that one.. Now I am a tad unhappy as it seemed to be a good idea.. . What sort of problems have you come across? Drawing too much power, wearing out belts? not running the engine hard enough when making water and causing the bores to glaze?
Old 21-02-2012, 14:47   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Power is not an issue. A 3GM has plenty of power to run far larger pumps than needed. The power is the lure many DIYers first think about. Smaller diesels are sensitive to vibration. The trick is to build a bracket that doesn't act like a lever with a pump hanging off the side of the engine intensifying the vibration 2 and 3 cylinder engines already create. Just a very slight offset that pumps easily create can make a well tuned diesel bounce around on it's mounts like a bucking horse making the setup worthless and destructive to expensive equipment. Usually Ecotech leaves it up to the owner to have his own mounting bracket made. They usually have suggestions on it's design depending on the engine build. There are side loading issues with a engine mounted pump that are never addressed on smaller engines. If your Yanmar is new they will not usually warranty bearings if they find anything other than a recommended alternator bolted to their engine. I don't want to get into any arguments with others that have engine mounted pumps that seem to work fine. I'm just pointing out my experiance. There are about five major recognized builders of watermakers and several smaller manufacturers. They build many varied sized watermakers for hundreds of different applications anywhere from the 6gph to 100+gph, 12, 24, 115, 220 and 230Volt. None of the larger ones offer an engine mounted watermaker for small boats. It should make you wonder why they are not all over the simple solution of just bolting on a high pressure pump.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 02:13   #5

I would like to offer my thanks in public to Tellie..
His comments about vibration have persuaded me to change my installation to an electric driven unit..
I do know that it is not possible to engineer vibration out of an engine without a lot of testing on a bench. I simply do not have the time or funds or the desire to take the engine out of the boat in order to put together something that will work and be reliable over many years.. and I am not prepared to take a chance ..
oce again many thanks to members of the forum for al your help.
Old 22-02-2012, 03:55   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

I built a set up for a (hydraulic) high pressure pump with a power take off running off the front balancer via a universal joint... in other words, the pump and engine had approximately the same shaft centerline with the pump in front of the engine. If you have room, this solves the scenario Tellie was describing

Tags
yanmar