Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2012, 13:34   #1

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
External Pressure Switch

I don't like many of the fancy new pressure water pumps with their fancy proprietary pressure switches....which seem to fail way too soon and are totally non-serviceable. In my experience they typically fail way before the other pump components (which typically have a very long service life)....invertible sticking you in some remote location with the need to get expensive proprietary parts flown in.

For cruising use, I want something that is simple, serviceable, and ideally available just about anywhere. So, when my last fancy little integrated pressure switch failed, I by-passed it and wired in a common well pump pressure switch. Simple, serviceable (every piece of one of these can be accessed with basic hand tools), a way long service life -- I've been running these at home for years, adjustable (many of the fancy ones are not), and available in any decent hardware store world wide.

I like this solution much much better. Oh, and they cost 1/3 to 1/2 of what the fancy yachtie ones cost (that's before including shipping to far away places).

belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 14:02   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: External Pressure Switch

I just had a similar situation with pressue switch tied to a relay. Long story short the failed pressure switch burned out the relay. I see the part pictured is a Square D. Do you have a part number for it?
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 14:57   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
I just had a similar situation with pressue switch tied to a relay. Long story short the failed pressure switch burned out the relay. I see the part pictured is a Square D. Do you have a part number for it?
The Square D unit was just handy picture I pulled off the net (boat's in Panama, I'm in Guate so can't easily get a pic right now). However, I have just installed whatever off-brand is available in hardware stores here in Central America both at home and on the boat and have never had trouble with any of them. My house is also 12 volt so I have a couple of these installed there too.

I expect any unit by Square D would be better quality than the ones I have used with great success.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 15:38   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

grainger or mcmaster carr shoud have them too. amazon has them too.

http://www.amazon.com/Square-FSG2J24...ressure+switch
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote