Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2015, 12:59   #1

Boat: sloop 35'
Experienced comparative opinions on composting heads?

Hi all, Can I get a real practical comparison on the composting toilets that people have used on their boats in the winter? I need to purchase a head that cannot freeze if the electric goes out at the dock this winter. I do not want to start another discussion of the wrongly named composting or the aptly named desiccating heads or the opinions of someone who never lived with one. Please tell us the good, bad and ugly of what you used and if you have experience with more than one brand or model please compare. Thank you all... this is a great resource!
rossny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 13:11   #2

Re: Experienced comparative opinions on composting heads?

We've used ours over the winter but that was in Georgia so only a few nights in the 20's and the heat was on.

It worked fine. As full time liveaboard, we didn't notice any significant difference in the consistency when we emptied it.

I see you are from NY which is a good deal colder, so not direct experience but worst case the composting just slows down when cooler. Otherwise, it should work fine.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, head, posting