Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2008, 18:39   #1

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Question Exhaust Hose Installation Tips?

I spent several hours fighting a 2-inch corrugated exhaust hose ... it was rotten and long past due for replacement. The worst part is the section from the aft engine room bulkhead and the bend it takes underneath the aft cabin sole. I gave up trying to feed it through and cut the sucker out...

So now that the easy part is over, any tips / tricks for installing the new hose that I should know about? I wonder about using that electrical cable lubricant that they use for pulling cables through conduit?

This is NOT going to be fun - I can just tell...
Old 24-02-2008, 18:50   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
I slopped Dawn dish soap on all the fittings and inside the hose. It worked quite well.
Old 24-02-2008, 20:04   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Mark,
I've suggested this before for running hoses through tight areas but just in case you missed it earlier, the very best thing I've found is KY Jelly Personal Lubricant. Not too expensive and disolves in water. Works great!
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 21:03   #4

Boat: 44 footer
For cutting the flex hose there is nothing better than a fine tooth japanese style wood saw and a pair of side cutters for the wire. Takes about two seconds...

Polish whatever it is going onto with sand paper, lube it up and twist it. Get one half wedged on then twist and wiggle... figure out which direction the wire turns and "thread it on."

Its also not a terrible time to put a chamfer or radius on the part your sliding the hose on. Sometimes ten seconds with a file to break the edge is all it needs.

Also, don't clamp the first end before the other is on unless the nipple or whatever is extremely short. Eventually the twisting will try to kink the hose... if you turn it back the other way it backs off. Go back to the other end and rotate back. Try to keep the lines/text down the side running pretty straight so the hose is relaxed... Sometimes a little turn here and there will keep it off of bulkheads though so use the twist to your advantage if it needs it!
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 21:12   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpj23 View Post
I spent several hours fighting a 2-inch corrugated exhaust hose ... it was rotten and long past due for replacement. The worst part is the section from the aft engine room bulkhead and the bend it takes underneath the aft cabin sole. I gave up trying to feed it through and cut the sucker out...

So now that the easy part is over, any tips / tricks for installing the new hose that I should know about? I wonder about using that electrical cable lubricant that they use for pulling cables through conduit?

This is NOT going to be fun - I can just tell...
Welcome to my world...
it is what it is, just get done
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 22:47   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Make sure you use proper exhaust hosing. I assume the corrigated stuff was a simple air ducting hose?? Often seen, doesn't last. Proper wet exhaust hosing must be oil resistant and heat resistant to at least 70degC. That makes it expensive and not very friendly stuff to work with.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2008, 01:53   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
There’s several different formulations of electrical wire-pulling lubrications, including:
"Aqua-Gel" water-based, soluble polymer type lubricant
"Yellow 77" wax-based type lubricant

All of which are commercially available from Ideal Industries, Inc.
Check to products pdf’s to determine the best match*:
IDEAL INDUSTRIES, INC. - Wire Pulling Lubricants
and: http://ideal.sdafiles.com/

* These different types of lubricants are used with electrical wires having different types of insulating jackets, in accordance with published specifications.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2008, 04:55   #8

My problem was not in making the connections to the hose, but just in the friction pulling the blasted thing under the sole. It lies right against my main exhaust hose at one point and the hard-wall-rubber-to-corrugated-rubber friction coefficient is apparently VERY large....

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
Welcome to my world...
it is what it is, just get done
Thanks Pat .... I figured as much. But hey, I'm a dreamer... and that's why we own a boat
Old 02-03-2008, 20:06   #9
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Yeah...that old corrugated exhaust hose is a real &^*(&. It was used, I feel, in areas where a tighter radius was needed without the hose kinking......Dawn is good...I just hope she has the upper body strength to really help you out.....Seriously
If you can get someone to push...while you pull....if you can't get your hands on the leading end, fish a small line down to the hose...poke a hole in the hose and put the line thru it....and fish it....we sometimes have to get real creative when it comes to some vessels that have a hull/insert type of construction
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:38   #10

Talking OK So I Cheated

I wimped out and paid the extra $$ for the new silicone VHT hose. One 12ft section made snaking the hose through the tight section in the aft cabin easier than it was to remove the old hose!!

Worth every penny to me....

Old 13-09-2009, 01:19   #11

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Mark, that does't look like 4" hose...
How is this stuff holding up after a year and a half.
Thinking about using it instead of the traditional black stuff...
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 07:27   #12

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Mark--

I have just gone through this with out boat. FWIW I found the Vetus hose is much more pliable than any of the other hoses one might buy and it is very highly rated. Once I switched to that, and gave the outside a good spray withSailKote, I was able to thread the hose without undue difficulty. In our case, I used a length of 1/4" line as a messenger and was able to pull the hose from one end while a pal fed it into the engine space from the other and the job went pretty easily (compared with 2 full daze to extract the old hose--in pieces!).

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust, installation