Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2014, 15:15   #1

Evaperator or Holding Plate in my Situation?

Good morning cruisers! I am aware this question has been asked in many forms but please bear with me.........

I am converting an ice box which is shaped like a vertical wedge. 0.33m x 0.45m at the top, 0.74 of a metre deep, 0.13m x 0.33m at the bottom with the out board wall curved as the insulation follows the hull generally. It comes to about 85 lt .

I have been told the plan would be to install the holding tank/plate on the wall near the top of the tank or an evaporator down one wall (top to bottom) or attempt to bend the evaporator around the inside near the top of the tank, OR install an O shaped evaporator and some how set it up with the inside of the O operating as a freezer?? And the outside of the O cooling the fridge section?

I'm not overly concerned about having a freezer section although I must admit it does seem like it would be handy. My main concern is this....

I see us mainly using the fridge to keep vegetables, occasional milk and butter and occasional fish or other meat following a trip ashore. Is it likely that a holding plate/tank will give freezer burn to any vegetables sitting next to it or freeze drinks when this is obviously not wanted. Given our box shape it is likely to be difficult to keep products away from the plate. Or do they just not get that cold?

I am tossing up between constant temperature of I the evaporator system or the power efficiency of the holding plate.

I am also concerned that in order to keep products off the evaporator I would need to install a grill to hold everything away and in my tall skinny box I would lose a lot of space?

Can any of you cruisers give us the benefit of your experience please?

Regards

Bart
Bart Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:37   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Evaperator or holding plate in my situation?

A small 85 liter (3 cu ft) icebox is almost impossible to convert into a freezer refrigerator combination. As to holding plate versus thin plate evaporator thin plate would be the most efficient and waste less space. Holding plates need to be large enough to store surplus energy and unless your battery bank is very small and boat is equipped with wind or solar power forget the less efficient holding plate.

As far as items freezing when touching either holding plate or evaporator that is true but when thermostat is set to maintain refrigerator temperatures of 36 of 45 degree F items a small distance away from plate will not freeze.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 15:08   #3

Thanks Richard
I do have a large house battery bank and solar panels but I think I will take the evaporator plate option if you think it will be more efficient.

I was I tossing up between the isotherm evaporator or eutectic plate options so they are both relatively easy to fit.

I was mostly concerned with the usability of the box with the two units.

Once again thank you for the advice.
Bart Man is offline   Reply With Quote