Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2012, 04:03   #16

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
We have the larger edgestar and I am pretty certain that is the consumption in fast freeze. We typically. Draw under 3 amps @ 29 degrees. And that is in 95-97 degree temps. With both our edgestar and Norcold fridge freezer running we consume a max of 5.5 amps at night / no solar. Usually it is lower as once the edgestar is @ temp the insulation does a great job and the compressor runs only once in a great while though fans run a little longer but hardly consume much. We ran the edgestar alone last year off one small deep cycle batt for 3 days before it needed charging
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 11:08   #17

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Evaluating 12v portable freezer options

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
We have been using the Engel 35 Quart unit for the last four years as a freezer to supplement the on board Aldler-Babour.

The Engel has performed flawlessly and hard freezes everything. The power consumption estimates are acurate.

The nice thing about the Engels is the dual voltage plugs... It automatically senses if it is drawing 12v or 120v and switches to the appropriate voltage automatically. OK not needed, but one less thing to think about when you plug into dock power.
Interesting. I like the dual power aspect.

I am considering installing a small Engel unit in the pilothouse to supplement the top-loading NovaKool in the galley, the idea being that drinks and some ice would be accessed more often from the PH during the day, leaving the galley reefer opened perhaps twice a day, thus lowering its larger draw.

My experience to date indicates that while snacks can be "dry" and unrefrigerated, people are constantly wanting to get pop, water bottles, ice and beer on day watches. I would rather leave the larger galley fridge out of that, frankly, and store "main meal" provisions in there.

Given I have the space to install the smaller sort of Engel as a drop-in under one of the pilot berths, does this make sense in your experience?
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:56   #18
cruiser

Interesting article; Weaco versus Engel

CeesH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	waecovsengel.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	44302  
CeesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:40   #19

Yes, very nice test. Thanks for posting it. Some tradeoffs there....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:53   #20

Boat: Taswell 49

I just bought the Waeco/Dometic CF-40 and so far have been very impressed. We are living aboard and using it as a freezer with temp set to 0*F but as we are still at a dock I have not yet run it solely on 12v. The one thing I didnt see in the manual was instructions for the turbo cooling feature? Maybe the CF-40 doesnt have this feature? Not really a big deal for me as it cooled down pretty darn fast in normal mode. Big thing is I got my 6 and 9 year olds off my back about ice cream...
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:59   #21

I have the Edgestar and don't find the power consumption to be that high. I decided to go with it and put the $400 savings into more solar capacity which more than compensates.

Also, it runs much more quietly on 12v than on 120v, I assume there's an AC to DC converter in it that puts out a lot of hot air and noise.

Cheers.
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:04   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post
I have the Edgestar and don't find the power consumption to be that high. I decided to go with it and put the $400 savings into more solar capacity which more than compensates.

Also, it runs much more quietly on 12v than on 120v, I assume there's an AC to DC converter in it that puts out a lot of hot air and noise.

Cheers.

I paid $540 for the 40qt Waeco Dometic. CF-40. Based on spec sheets it was more efficient than the Edgestar but cheaper than the Engel. Will have to see what it really consumes once we leave the dock.
Old 02-08-2012, 15:40   #23

Boat: Fastback 32 cat.

Waeco use chinese compressors in some of their models , I have a small waeco with the chinese compressor that I use occasionally. It works ok but interfers with am radio. It's not easy to find out which models use danfoss compressors.
Ian R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 16:17   #24

We have used our Waeco CF-50 for 7 years on a 30' power cat, in the car and now on our 48' Chris Craft. It has operated flawlessly.

I needed a 110VAC power supply as this was purchased from Waeco as reconditioned. i got one at Radio Shack and it has also been faultless.

I've looked at Engel and I'm sure they are a fine product, but I'm hunting for a CF-110.

OG
OldGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 12:27   #25

Im wondering if anyone has purchased the optional insulating covers for the Waeco CF series units? They dont look like they would make much of a difference in efficiency but figured I would ask.

Old 28-08-2012, 14:04   #26

Judging by how a Mylar blanket under a plain sleeping bag keeps a crappy Koolatron (not running, of course) cold for a longer period, I would say any insulation is helpful to the cause.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 28-08-2012, 14:10   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Judging by how a Mylar blanket under a plain sleeping bag keeps a crappy Koolatron (not running, of course) cold for a longer period, I would say any insulation is helpful to the cause.

Good point but Im guessing you didnt pay $50 for your old sleeping bag and mylar blanket no? Im considering just doing something similar to what you suggest instead of spending $50 on this cover. The thing interseting about the cover is the holes for the vents which I like and rings for securing it, although they look rather wimpy.
Old 29-08-2012, 05:15   #28

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Interesting. I like the dual power aspect.

I am considering installing a small Engel unit in the pilothouse to supplement the top-loading NovaKool in the galley, the idea being that drinks and some ice would be accessed more often from the PH during the day, leaving the galley reefer opened perhaps twice a day, thus lowering its larger draw.

My experience to date indicates that while snacks can be "dry" and unrefrigerated, people are constantly wanting to get pop, water bottles, ice and beer on day watches. I would rather leave the larger galley fridge out of that, frankly, and store "main meal" provisions in there.

Given I have the space to install the smaller sort of Engel as a drop-in under one of the pilot berths, does this make sense in your experience?
Obviously yes... Every time you open your larger refrigerator, you are allowing heat and humidity into your unit. The unit then uses more electricity to cool back down and frosts up faster.

Using a small refrigerator or even an ice chest for drinks and snacks is more efficient, especially if you are opening and closing it a lot. Also both the ENGEL or WAECO are usually mush easier to defrost nthan a boat ref/freezer mostly becasue of size and portabilty.

The problem with most boat freezers is they don't hard freeze or they take a lot of time to hard freeze meats, using more electricity.

That is what we use our Engel for. It hard freezes meat and we store it there until a couple of days before we are ready to use it and more it to the boat refrigerator or freezer.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 08:28   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Demeter View Post
Good point but Im guessing you didnt pay $50 for your old sleeping bag and mylar blanket no? Im considering just doing something similar to what you suggest instead of spending $50 on this cover. The thing interseting about the cover is the holes for the vents which I like and rings for securing it, although they look rather wimpy.
No...probably $20 for the bag and three bucks for the mylar from a camping place.

You could achieve the same effect by making a clip-together box from pink board insulation with a cut out for the Peltier fan, I suppose. Line that with Mylar or even alu foil and you've got a five-dollar R value multiplier!
Old 29-08-2012, 09:21   #30

Boat: Able 50
Re: Evaluating 12v Portable Freezer Options

I had a Waeco CF50 in the tropics for a while and was happy about every aspect of its operation but one. The lids on most of the models are too thin. When set on freeze mine was always cold and wet meaning that the insulation wasn't doing its job. I would recommend that anyone buying a Waeco avoid the 40, 50 and 60 and get a 35, 80 or 110. All have better and thicker lids.

If you want your Waeco to be a drinks cooler then don't bother. Any CF model will be just fine in that role.

If you just want a portable frezer take a look at the Isotherm series which has better insulation. Indel Webasto Marine - Isotherm Travel Boxes - Light and Compact Design for Outdoor Conditions

If you are starting with room temperature food it is important to realise that 12v won't freeze it. You must freeze everythng in the box before leaving the dock by running it on shore power overnight.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freezer