Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2018, 16:15   #16
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Evacuating refrigerator compressor

Top-O-the-Day:
If your refrigeration tech doesn't have a vacuum gauge that is measuring in microns....find another refrigeration tech.

Tip No 2.
If after vacuuming down your system for 30 minutes the tech tells you, "that's good boss, now lets recharge"...find another refrigeration tech.

And as a Bonus:
If your refrigeration tech doesn't know the difference between how to charge a Capillary Tube vs TXV system, yep you guessed it....find another refrigeration tech.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 17:26   #17
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Top-O-the-Day:
If your refrigeration tech doesn't have a vacuum gauge that is measuring in microns....find another refrigeration tech.

Tip No 2.
If after vacuuming down your system for 30 minutes the tech tells you, "that's good boss, now lets recharge"...find another refrigeration tech.

And as a Bonus:
If your refrigeration tech doesn't know the difference between how to charge a Capillary Tube vs TXV system, yep you guessed it....find another refrigeration tech.
Great advice Rich, simple and to the point but may I add..

Tip No 4. If the refrigeration tech / adviser spends the first 30 minutes (His short version!) telling you how great he is and who he talked with thirty years ago about yada yada ya etc..... find another tech / adviser!

On a serious note, if an R134a compressor is suspected of being contaminated, change the oil, its the best solution.. Also always fit a PROPER filter dryer. Not a spun copper type which have no felt filter, but a Sporlan type 032 or better still a 052 FILTER dryer. Then evacuate over night with a 2 stage pump (with digital vaccustat if possible)

Cheers OzePete Ozefridge | 12 Volt Refrigeration Systems
OzePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:56   #18

JKMilligan,

Can I email you in regards to your experience with your fridge? I’m in the process of figuring out the process of evacuating and recharging my split fridge system. Here in Portland we’re apparently void of any marine refrigerator mechanics.

Thanks
Tyler
Skipmarcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:35   #19
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipmarcel View Post
JKMilligan,

Can I email you in regards to your experience with your fridge? I’m in the process of figuring out the process of evacuating and recharging my split fridge system. Here in Portland we’re apparently void of any marine refrigerator mechanics.

Thanks
Tyler
Kollmann Marine
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 14:36   #20

Boat: Island Packet 38

These guys can advise you. I ended up scrapping the setup I had and doing something different instead of dumping more time/money into something that wasn’t very good even when it was working.
JKMilligan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor, refrigerator