Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2019, 06:25   #106
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Posts: 1,244
Re: Eutetic Refrigeration for Marine use

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzePete View Post
Have near completed more testing and will post Data shortly. This report will address many of the practical inputs members added to this thread since my first post / report.

Cheers OzePete
Maybe this time you will produce quantitative analysis of your comparison or at least answer questions regarding the results. Hopefully your analysis of your eutectic plate versus Randy's engineering of Technautic”s eutectic evaporator will be of interest.
__________________

Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 14:53   #107
cruiser

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Yarroweyah, Victoria. Australia
Boat: "Arapaho"
Posts: 439
Re: Eutetic Refrigeration for Marine use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann View Post
Maybe this time you will produce quantitative analysis of your comparison or at least answer questions regarding the results. Hopefully your analysis of your eutectic plate versus Randy's engineering of Technautic”s eutectic evaporator will be of interest.
Strange comments Richard!
The original post provided detailed analysis of the data findings, presented clearly and in a manner that most without a refrigeration background could understand.

As for inferring that I didn't answer questions! Really? Out of the threads total of 106 posts, I contributed 31 posts mostly as responses to questions, so not quite sure what you are saying here! (BTW still waiting for your response to post 60!)

In the second part of your post, the reference to quote "analysis of your eutectic plate versus Randy's engineering of Technautic”s eutectic evaporator" is rather odd!
In all of my posts I made absolutely NO such reference, why would I, Cool Blue's eutectic system and ours are very similar and provide similar energy efficiency.

Cheers OzePete
__________________

OzePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 14:56   #108
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 316
Re: Eutetic Refrigeration for Marine use

Another bit of friendly advise to OzePete, and I do mean friendly in the most sincere form.

Can you post your results on YOUR website, also?


For some reason, I and others, can not access your original CF posts on the "Commercial Posts" section.
missourisailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 15:19   #109
cruiser

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Yarroweyah, Victoria. Australia
Boat: "Arapaho"
Posts: 439
Re: Eutetic Refrigeration for Marine use

Quote:
Originally Posted by missourisailor View Post
Another bit of friendly advise to OzePete, and I do mean friendly in the most sincere form.

Can you post your results on YOUR website, also?


For some reason, I and others, can not access your original CF posts on the "Commercial Posts" section.
Thanks for that MS. Once I get the data together I will load it on our web site also if I can... its a time thing!

Also you should be able to get this entire thread here: Eutetic Refrigeration for Marine use - Page 8 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

The original was mysteriously removed but has since been reinstated but under a different heading. All good now so hopefully you can load it and follow from the get-go!

Cheers OzePete
OzePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 15:21   #110
Registered User

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sydney Australia
Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Posts: 1,267
Re: Eutetic Refrigeration for Marine use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann View Post
Maybe this time you will produce quantitative analysis of your comparison or at least answer questions regarding the results. Hopefully your analysis of your eutectic plate versus Randy's engineering of Technautic”s eutectic evaporator will be of interest.
Richard, could you please explain the difference between a eutectic plate and eutectic evaporator, I just don't understand what you mean. I would have thought that both were remarkably similar.
__________________
Rob aka Uncle Bob Sydney Australia.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 15:31   #111
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 316
Re: Eutetic Refrigeration for Marine use

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzePete View Post
The original was mysteriously removed but has since been reinstated but under a different heading.
Cheers OzePete

OzePete,
Because sometimes I'm a bit dense, is this thread a copy of the original one that you posted on the "Commercial Post" section?
missourisailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 15:37   #112
cruiser

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Yarroweyah, Victoria. Australia
Boat: "Arapaho"
Posts: 439
Re: Eutetic Refrigeration for Marine use

I think it is. Not sure yet as to what is going on except that it recently disappeared. I enquired and it is now back albeit with a new heading...very odd
OzePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 17:07   #113
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Posts: 1,244
Re: Eutetic Refrigeration for Marine use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Richard, could you please explain the difference between a eutectic plate and eutectic evaporator, I just don't understand what you mean. I would have thought that both were remarkably similar.
Sorry for adding more to the confusion. Evaporators are the item inside the refrigerated box where heat is extracted and carried away by the refrigerant. The evaporator refrigerant coils heat absorbing metal surfaces are critical in where it is or is not thermodynamically efficient. There are Five types of evaporators used in our boat icebox conversion refrigeration unites, Thin plate, Convection fan evaporators, Exposed refrigerant tubing , both Liquid Solution eutectic and Solid eutectic material plates. Most of the major companies marketing at one time offered Eutectic liquid solution plates but today there are only two companies in the US. SeaFrost and Technautics are still in the small 12 volt compressor eutectic plate business. There are yes other companies around the world supplying at least 1, 000 eutectic solution plates to mostly charter boat companies.

Uncle Bob you are correct Eutectics plates are remarkably similar in that there is a substance inside generally a metal sealed tank that will store energy. What makes one manufacture eutectic plate different is the design of the refrigerants evaporator tubing inside the eutectic solution’s lower heat conduciveness. Technautics, Dole who made Crosby and Grunerts Cold galvanized steel plates and Frigoboat all used evaporator coils inside tank that resembled the radiator in an automobile. Sea Frosts Cast aluminum eutectic very efficient pates used sheet copper to move heat to evaporator tubing. I have tested all of the above plates and they are all very efficient. The maybe 300 eutectic plate I made and sold I confess only two would equal the performance of those companies listed above.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 17:45   #114
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 126
Re: Eutetic Refrigeration for Marine use

the movie "Who killed the electric car" interviews a solar cell inventor and his near perfect solar panels that are nowhere to be found. THAT is what happened to solar, someone, I would say oil companies but that is only a theroy, bought up the good stuff and we the public have been lulled into " bread and circus". One thing the government can't charge us for is the wind on the open sea, I say open sea because the Irish Constituion says , the government shall own the potential energy of the wind across your property." or something like that. Ireland is windy much of the time and the potential for free electricty is great.
wtmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 19:07   #115
Registered User

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sydney Australia
Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Posts: 1,267
Re: Eutetic Refrigeration for Marine use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann View Post
Sorry for adding more to the confusion. Evaporators are the item inside the refrigerated box where heat is extracted and carried away by the refrigerant. The evaporator refrigerant coils heat absorbing metal surfaces are critical in where it is or is not thermodynamically efficient. There are Five types of evaporators used in our boat icebox conversion refrigeration unites, Thin plate, Convection fan evaporators, Exposed refrigerant tubing , both Liquid Solution eutectic and Solid eutectic material plates. Most of the major companies marketing at one time offered Eutectic liquid solution plates but today there are only two companies in the US. SeaFrost and Technautics are still in the small 12 volt compressor eutectic plate business. There are yes other companies around the world supplying at least 1, 000 eutectic solution plates to mostly charter boat companies.

Uncle Bob you are correct Eutectics plates are remarkably similar in that there is a substance inside generally a metal sealed tank that will store energy. What makes one manufacture eutectic plate different is the design of the refrigerants evaporator tubing inside the eutectic solution’s lower heat conduciveness. Technautics, Dole who made Crosby and Grunerts Cold galvanized steel plates and Frigoboat all used evaporator coils inside tank that resembled the radiator in an automobile. Sea Frosts Cast aluminum eutectic very efficient pates used sheet copper to move heat to evaporator tubing. I have tested all of the above plates and they are all very efficient. The maybe 300 eutectic plate I made and sold I confess only two would equal the performance of those companies listed above.
OK, lets see if I got this right, now there is no such thing as a eutectic evaporator, just eutectic tanks and various incarnations of evaporator plates,be they thin single plates, thin fin types with fans or exposed refrigerant tubing.
You have in the past made a point of differentiating Rich's and Petes eutectic product, can you please enlighten me on the actual difference and just what makes one better than the other. I have seen both and both appear to perform the required task rather well. What am I missing?
Cheers.
__________________
Rob aka Uncle Bob Sydney Australia.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 20:31   #116
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Posts: 1,244
Re: Eutetic Refrigeration for Marine use

Uncle Bob I know nothing about Pete's plate all of the others I have ether cut open or seen pictures of what is inside. Pete has only told us his plate is not a holdover plate as it depends on cycling compressor. He has not done a comparison with any of the popular eutectic plates and his test between a thin plate evaporator and his plate was not of much value that you will have to admite. I can not comment on his refrigeration because I have never seen one. Pete will tell you the only comment I ever made was I did not like his business plan that had nothing to do with his refrigeration units.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 21:16   #117
Registered User

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sydney Australia
Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Posts: 1,267
Re: Eutetic Refrigeration for Marine use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann View Post
Uncle Bob I know nothing about Pete's plate all of the others I have ether cut open or seen pictures of what is inside. Pete has only told us his plate is not a holdover plate as it depends on cycling compressor. He has not done a comparison with any of the popular eutectic plates and his test between a thin plate evaporator and his plate was not of much value that you will have to admite. I can not comment on his refrigeration because I have never seen one. Pete will tell you the only comment I ever made was I did not like his business plan that had nothing to do with his refrigeration units.
Richard, thanks for your reply however if I recall correctly Pete describes his eutectic refrigeration system as a holdover system both here (I could be wrong) and in his advertising. My understanding is that virtually any system that freezes a volume of coolant for use in soaking up latent heat within a box would be described as a holdover system, would this not be correct?
I am interested because the refrigeration in my boat has become, shall we say lacklustre, and in this age of global sourcing of equipment and product the options are definitely greater than ever before. Oh decisions, decisions.
__________________
Rob aka Uncle Bob Sydney Australia.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:03   #118
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5
Re: Eutetic Refrigeration for Marine use

NEED a Copy of Richard Kollmann's last DO-IT-YOURSELF REFRIGERATION Book.
Willing to borrow one - Will Copy and Return !!!
Thanks, AB
Abendicum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 04:38   #119
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Posts: 1,244
Re: Eutetic Refrigeration for Marine use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Richard, thanks for your reply however if I recall correctly Pete describes his eutectic refrigeration system as a holdover system both here (I could be wrong) and in his advertising. My understanding is that virtually any system that freezes a volume of coolant for use in soaking up latent heat within a box would be described as a holdover system, would this not be correct?
I am interested because the refrigeration in my boat has become, shall we say lacklustre, and in this age of global sourcing of equipment and product the options are definitely greater than ever before. Oh decisions, decisions.
Uncle Bob, The difference between a Holdover eutectic plate and a Cycling eutectic plate is in the volume of stored eutectic ice. Usually I consider a holdover refrigerator plate needs ˝ gallon of eutectic solution for each cubic ft of box size and one gallon for each cubic ft of freezer space for a 12 to 24 hour hold over melting period. The only times when holdover plates make sense is when there is surplus energy from a extremely large compressor or alternative energy from wind or solar. Smaller cycling plates do not allow ice to melt very much before a thermostat starts compressor again. Holdover plate compressors are sometimes operated by a timer instead of a thermostat to take full benefit of more ice melting.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:32   #120
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 24,035
Re: Eutetic Refrigeration for Marine use

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzePete View Post
I think it is. Not sure yet as to what is going on except that it recently disappeared. I enquired and it is now back albeit with a new heading...very odd


It was archived.
I reinstated it when you asked, but apparently got the heading wrong, I thought I got it right, sorry. I am not a computer person, combine that with I use an IPad for reasons of room and power consumption and as many know using the mobile version is challenging sometimes.
The good news is however unless I’m mistaken nothing was lost, every post is still there.
__________________

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
marine, refrigeration

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Eutectic refrigeration for marine use Pelagic Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 96 10-05-2018 16:27
Help with making practical use of top loading refrigeration, or switching to somethin AndDavRos Provisioning: Food & Drink 36 01-12-2016 05:34
Thoughts on 'Marine' Refrigeration alanperry Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 21 14-10-2013 11:30



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:42.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.