Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2019, 22:45   #196

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Eutetic Refrigeration for Marine use

Both Ozepete and Richard Kollman have included a lot of good information in their posts on a subject that many of us have a keen interest in. However Richard has used very intemperate language at times and has also stooped to vituperation and slander and should desist.

Refrigeration is applied science and consequently disputes can be readily settled with recourse to the science without invoking matters of faith and we should leave the emotive stuff to the AGW crowd who have far greater need of it.

RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 08:02   #197
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzePete View Post
How true that is Rob. I am 73 and have six (yes SIX!) sons who constantly remind this silly old b to move over and chill out, but it is hard.. We do like to stay somewhat relevant so these days I enjoy the email and phone assistance to customers, usually ending up chatting about all sorts of irrelevant nonsense!

Although I must say I do think it's a pity if someone who has contributed a lot over many years, ends up destroying their well earned reputation due to becoming overly defensive and feeling that they have to revert to extremes to remain relevant and dominant.

As my sons would say.. "Chill out Richard!" maintain your reputation and enjoy your retirement.

Cheers OzePete
Thanks Pete. I have enjoyed retirement for 35 years and always earned an honorable reputation in dealing with people. With that said I will not comment further.

Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 05:16   #198

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Thread is reopened.

Refrigeration is another interesting technical system.

I usually lurk on these threads because I know less about refrigeration than almost any other system on board.

I would dare to make only one comment -- I agree very much with A64's comment, that raw efficiency, that is the total daily consumption of power, is not really that important for any boat which has periods of basically free energy. It's rather how much power is consumed during periods when you're on battery power. A totally different idea.

I chartered a boat in the Med years ago which had a large engine-driven fridge compressor and a big holding plate. At anchor, we ran the engine for a couple of hours to charge the batts and freeze the plate. And we had ice and cold beer for 24 hours despite the heat.

Seemed like a good approach to me. Totally removed refrigeration from the electrical power budget.

That being said, I have been very satisfied with my two el-cheapo, mass produced Isotherm SP systems, which are 18 years old and apart from very slow leaks have been bulletproof. They use a fair amount of power, especially the deep freezer, but that has not been a major problem on this boat with a heavy duty generator and fairly large battery bank.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:46   #199

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

One of the nice things about Cf is the exchange of information and knowledge. To that end, we have removed some posts that were detrimental to the ideal.

Let us move ahead and leave the rancour alone. The site team are aware of 99% of what is in the background and deal with it in due course.

Thank you all for broadening our knowledge..
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 14:54   #200

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Eutetic Refrigeration for Marine use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I would dare to make only one comment -- I agree very much with A64's comment, that raw efficiency, that is the total daily consumption of power, is not really that important for any boat which has periods of basically free energy. It's rather how much power is consumed during periods when you're on battery power. A totally different idea.

It sort of kinda is, a thin plate evaporator would be a poor choice for such a situation, that is in my opinion the best use of an eutectic system, which has what is often referred to ďhold overĒ plates.

My argument is that assuming both systems are properly designed, that as long as the cold plate system isnít being used to store excess energy when itís available to use when itís not, and most cold plates systems do not, that a properly designed thin plate evaporator system can be as or almost as efficient, especially when you consider the space lost by the larger cold plates.
John, Cold EH has shown some exceptional results with an evaporator system.

However itís my opinion that if you want really, really good results with the minimum power draw, that insulation is the key, way more important than if you have a keel cooler, or air cooled, or cold plates or thin plate etc.

We were just off the boat for three days getting a bottom job done and I was able to see how much power we used in our refrigeration without any other power being used.
We normally use about 130 to 150 AH between the time Solar becomes ineffective to when it becomes effective again.

I found out that almost 100 AH goes into our refrigeration, now understand that is a BD80 system run 50/50 as a freezer/fridge and the two combined are 14 cu Ft, or almost as big as two 55 gl drums, plus we are running a 40 qt Engel as a deep freeze, set temp about -5 F, or the temp knob set just off wide open.

You can see that the vast majority of our power goes into refrigeration, and we have electric heads and watch TV etc, but even then itís only a fraction of what the cooling needs are.

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, refrigeration