Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2012, 17:12   #1

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Eutectic air con

Has anyone tried using a eutectic system as the basis for a chilled water/central air con system?

Generally a chilled water system is larger capacity and requires a genset of course but I wonder if I could use a eutectic system hanging off the main motor when motoring or off the genset when charging and thereby avoid the requirement to run the Genset exclusively for the aircon. I suspect air con cooling demands would be too great but
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 04:07   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Eutectic air con

A 20 meter (65Ft.) boat in a warm climate would need about one ton of ice or eutectic solution melting per hour to provide it with air conditioning. Remember creature comfort with air conditioning on a boat generally requires lowering humidity and this means generating, collecting and disposing of condensate moisture removed from interior air.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 22:06   #3

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann View Post
A 20 meter (65Ft.) boat in a warm climate would need about one ton of ice or eutectic solution melting per hour to provide it with air conditioning. Remember creature comfort with air conditioning on a boat generally requires lowering humidity and this means generating, collecting and disposing of condensate moisture removed from interior air.
Thanks for that Richard - puts the idea in context. I Googled the idea and found a Japanese academic paper which sort of validated the idea for peak loads in industrial setting but your assesment sounds correct.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote