Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2018, 19:52   #31

Boat: O'Day 40
Re: Espar Hydronic Durability

Holy crap! I bought the cheapest 40 footer ever made?
So anyone with a modestly priced boat is supposed to accept a lack of comfort?
I really don't understand your reasoning so I guess it is some form of snobbery.
Please tell me the name of your boat so I can sneak out of the anchorage if I see it coming in.
Old 11-11-2018, 20:37   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

bcboomer, I think you have misunderstood the 3000 hr. thing or you were mislead by someone trying to sell you a new unit. The 3,000 hr. is service interval, not service life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=P...&v=zgy1vSA03Io
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 21:18   #33

Great if that is right.

But the print brochure:
https://www.eberspaecher.com/en/prod...3-economy.html

It says:
Advantages:

Interfaces: CAN and S++
Economy: service life 3,000 h
Commercial: service life 5,000 h
Compatibility with all new and many conventional control units
New 24-volt heater for commercial applications
NEW: Power version with 5.6 kW heating performance
Very large output range
Utilization of residual heat through heating circuit run-on control
Stepless heating performance control
Noise emissions optimized

So is the brochure right or is the you-tube ad right?

I haven't finished replacing the pump but, if the heater works again, I'll start planning on a switch to Hurricane when it gives out. Hopefully I'll get another year out of it.
A dealer/installer says it won't work because he thinks the CPU's are bad.
Old 11-11-2018, 23:29   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
bcboomer, I think you have misunderstood the 3000 hr. thing or you were mislead by someone trying to sell you a new unit. The 3,000 hr. is service interval, not service life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=P...&v=zgy1vSA03Io

All of us Eber owners wish!

The service interval is far shorter than that.

3,000 hours is the actual designed service life.

I have faced the same question as the OP, and I use my boat in places where working heat might be a question of life and death.

I think there are a couple of viable options for making the heating really reliable enough:

1. Use a pot heater like a Dickinson, Sig, etc. These things are not low maintenance, but they have like three moving parts, and can be maintained without any big trouble. These things have a number of advantages, but on the other hand they have multiple disadvantages so not suitable for everyone.

2. Learn how to service the Eber and acquire the necessary tools and parts. It would be nice if the heat were fit and forget but it's just not. But servicing them is not difficult -- you have to clean the combustion chamber and glow plug every year, and once in a while you'll have to replace a flame sensor or glow plug. After 1000 hours or so you might need to replace a burner tube, and rarely a water pump fails. The early ones had control units which were extremely expensive and unreliable, but the MII versions apparently have solved that. So it's not really such a horrible big deal -- just another thing like a generator or engine which requires attention, requires knowledge, skill, tools and parts, to keep running.

3. To make it really failsafe, install TWO of them. If one needs service, just switch over to the other one. That's what I will be doing on my next boat.

4. These units have a limited service life. If you are running them 24/7, then budget to replace them every few years.

If you want to heat with diesel, there is no maintenance free way to do it. If we start from this fact, then it puts everything else into perspective.

And diesel is the only reasonable thing to heat with on a cruising boat. Solid fuel is not really practical, and propane is risky, expensive and hard to source and lug to the boat in quantities needed for heat.

As to other, cheaper types -- the Russian Planar ones have become very popular in the UK and are getting good reviews. They are cheaper than Eber and Webasto and are apparently rugged and durable. Maybe worth checking out. The parts should be cheaper, too, and the company which makes them is a large enterprise with apparently good service and support. I guess it's logical that the Russians would know something about heat. I would personally avoid the Chinese imitations of the Planars.

I have stuck with Eber, however. I recently replaced my old Hydronic 10, which came with the boat as new built, with a Hydronic MII 12. We'll see how it holds up. The old Hydronic 10 worked, like clockwork, for two years, the way I use it, before refusing to start and needing some kind of service or another. I spent a lot of money on it, unfortunately, as over the years I have failures of the control unit and burner tube, both a $1000+ failure, besides the small stuff like flame sensors and ordinary maintenance. I finally condemned it after the second control unit failure -- and Eber doesn't even supply them any more.

"The way I use it" is not 24/7. I do need heat year around (home port is above 50N and I roam as far North as 70N), but I don't run it all the time. I use electric when I'm on shore power, and off grid typically run the Eber for a few hours in the evening and a couple of hours in the morning, shutting it down at night and during the day time. Even in Greenland I did not, contrary to expectations, need to run it all the time.

I'm not sure it's actually a good idea to run it all the time, as it will idle a lot, and idling causes it to carbon up faster. Maybe having two of them -- a big one and a small one -- would be a good approach for this. Run the small one all the time if you want, and it it's undersized enough, it might have a good enough load for health. Set up the big one to come on from time to time as need when a lot of heat is needed.

Another boss Eberspacher tip -- if you want to extend the service interval -- install a kerosene (paraffin) tank and run the heater on kerosene for an hour or two every couple of weeks. This is supposed to burn off all the carbon and keep the combustion chamber squeaky clean. Carboning up of the combustion chamber is the main service item.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:12   #35

Dockhead

Surprisingly to me, I've had no maintenance issues with this heater. I had planned on adding a small tank for kerosene but didn't get to it and haven't needed it.

I've never cleaned the glow plug and it has always started right up, except for a half dozen times when it just sat there like a lump. No fault codes, just no response. I suspect an intermittent controller fault. Espar wouldn't do anything about it because there was no code.

Just wondering if you've looked at the ITR Hurricane? I see lots of favorable comments on line and it appears to be designed for durable, long term use.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:01   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Last boat had a pro heat unit designed for semis and busses worked great just needs cleaned every hear just like any other diesel fired heating system .
Proheat ? X45 Plus Truck
Kept dad comfortable all winter on his 3880 bayliner.
Old 12-11-2018, 14:44   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
Dockhead

Surprisingly to me, I've had no maintenance issues with this heater. I had planned on adding a small tank for kerosene but didn't get to it and haven't needed it.

I've never cleaned the glow plug and it has always started right up, except for a half dozen times when it just sat there like a lump. No fault codes, just no response. I suspect an intermittent controller fault. Espar wouldn't do anything about it because there was no code.

Just wondering if you've looked at the ITR Hurricane? I see lots of favorable comments on line and it appears to be designed for durable, long term use.

I have heard them praised, but they are vast in bulk, and not available in the UK, so not on my list.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 15:59   #38

Boat: 1998 Hunter 410 (now), 1981 Bayfield 32c (old)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I have heard them praised, but they are vast in bulk, and not available in the UK, so not on my list.

I believe the reason they are much larger is that they also replace your hot water tank in the freshwater system. In this sense the footprint is very reasonable as you are replacing two appliances with one that can work with either electricity or diesel.

(link) Hurricane Zephyr – Itrheat
The HURRICANE ZEPHYR’s diesel boiler provides 33,000 True Output BTU, supplemented by 5,000 BTU of auxiliary heat from a 1500 watt electric element (available in 120 or 240 VAC) which can provide limited hot water and space heating without diesel burner use while under shore power. The HURRICANE ZEPHYR has the ability to heat four separate thermostatically controlled space heating zones. The HURRICANE ZEPHYR is able to provide continuous, on-demand potable 120°F hot water at 1.0 GPM flow rates, and has an internal mixing valve to set hot water temperature preferences. The HURRICANE ZEPHYR’s internal heat exchanger can be used to preheat a vessel’s engine, and waste heat from the engine can be extracted to improve efficiency within the heating system. The HURRICANE ZEPHYR, like all HURRICANE heaters, features a marine-grade stainless steel coolant tank and a marine-grade stainless steel exterior casing.
VanIslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 16:02   #39

I see Calcutt Boats/dieselheating.com advertising them in Warwickshire/Southam.

I think I could find the space but they draw a lot more power than the Espar.

I may follow your lead and get a 2nd identical unit to swap in when needed.

The ProHeat Newhaul mentioned looks interesting. In between in size, likely more durable than Espar but, again, needs more power. The x30 would be lots of heat for us. Canajun company eh? Should understand heating. But possibly built offshore.
Old 12-11-2018, 16:13   #40

[QUOTE=VanIslandGuy;2760606]I believe the reason they are much larger is that they also replace your hot water tank in the freshwater system. In this sense the footprint is very reasonable as you are replacing two appliances with one that can work with either electricity or diesel.

True, but in my situation I have a hot water tank under the galley counter.
I should have looked a little harder at them when I started because I've already put in a new hot water tank. The SCH25 would be my choice now.

I think that, especially for a centre cockpit, the Zephyr would be ideal.
Old 12-11-2018, 22:54   #41

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslandGuy View Post
I believe the reason they are much larger is that they also replace your hot water tank in the freshwater system. In this sense the footprint is very reasonable as you are replacing two appliances with one that can work with either electricity or diesel.

My ITR Zephyr fit in the same space as my old hot water tank. It was almost exactly the same footprint. I did loose a little space running the exhaust aft. Hot water on demand is nice and works really well, summer or winter. The unit has been very reliable, but I don't put on the hours the OP is doing, so it's hard to compare.
I did have a hot air Espar on my last boat. It was much more finicky and expensive to keep running.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 06:30   #42

We have the Espar Hydronic, so far so good. On the shutoff issue, ours came with the little timer interface to turn it on and off, and you can set the time it stays on for, from short time to infinity.

Steve
Maverick 505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 09:01   #43

I used to have a Webasto hydronic system similar to the espar and it was always breaking. After spending $900 to repair it again, I installed the “fixed” unit and it broke again that very night. Enough was enough and I purchased a Kabola hydronic system; that was in 2003. These units are bullet proof. Fifteen years later the only part that I have replaced is the circulation pump. I have been a full time live aboard in the Pacific Northwest for almost 4 years now, so my Kabola gets plenty of use. In addition to providing ultra reliable heat, mine has a loop that heats my domestic hot water as well; I don’t even have a traditional hot water heater. These furnaces are made in Holland and are quite expensive compared to other hydronic systems, but in my opinion, the initial purchase price is well worth it for the years of trouble free service that these furnaces will provide for you. Mine is now 15 years old and I have no doubt that it will last another 15 years.
gka-tuckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 20:16   #44

I don't know where your Espar dealer is but they definitely make a thermostat that says espar on it whith a built in on off switch. If you want a truly high quality furnace first would likly be Kbola and then Hurricane . I have had a number of Espar always little issues currently I have a Wabasto 8500 BTU it is built with furnace grade nozzle and igniter so far I'm impressed all have been hydronic.
Pacfic Dawn l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 14:41   #45

Boat: Privilege 37

I run a hydronic eberspacher as well (UK name for Espar). I liveaboard full time and my system runs 24/7 for more than 7months. I have individual thermostats for each matrix heater. However, I have the 10kw unit which has a MUCH longer expected life than the smaller 5kw one. The downside is that it rarely gets pushed to deliver heat, but I have not had a problem with fouling, I do use Fuel Set in my fuel, and this helps to keep it clean. The other downside is that it uses a lot more fuel. Still cheaper than trying to heat with electricity and MUCH more effective.
On my 4th year now!