Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2010, 04:02   #1

Epoxy Potable Water Tanks

Has anyone had much long term experence with marine ply and epoxy tanks coated with a food greade epoxy? The food grade epoxy I looked at was Bar-rust, and also NSP120. Both are NSF approved for potabel water usage. The kicker is that they were approved for 1000 gallon tanks. Our smaller tanks will have much more surface contact to volume ratio. Is this any concern? Combined with a General Ecology filter I suspect that it shouldn't be a problem. I spoke with tech support as system three, and MASS and both said that their product was not certified for potable water use, but both said that they would use it for potable water use. They said that after fully curring after a week or so that the solid plastic that epoxy forms is inert. West System reccomended double mixing is 2 seperate pots with 2 seperate mixers to FULLY mix epoxy used in potabe water applications fpr a complete uniform cure. It seems that integral tanks are the best value to volume that you can get. But what about the long tem effects?

Also check out: Atom Voyages | Voyages Aboard the Sailboat Atom - Integral Watertank Construction
atmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:59   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
sounds like you just formed the test group
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:26   #3

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
My old Prout had the original direct against GRP tanks replaced with some plastic bags. Not very good but they are potable rated. I fancied makingg some up from flexible water rated hose, say 4 or 6 inch flexible lay flat stuff like the old fire hoses.
It gives you multiple tanks, should one go bad.
Old 09-10-2010, 13:12   #4

Boat: Sceptre 36
I would be most interested in what you find out. Custom plastic tanks are extremely expensive. Can see no reason not to fabricate with plywood coated with something suitable.
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epoxy