Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-10-2015, 19:19   #1

Boat: Young 42
Engine driven fridge/freezer needs a new condenser

Hi all,
I have a large freezer and small fridge which run on an engine driven Sanden compressor. The condenser for the system needs an overhaul, but I'm looking into getting a replacement. The condenser is in the sea water intake line for the engine. I think that because I never changed the zinc, there's alot of grit and possibly corrosion inside. This may be causing the gas to not cool as well as it should, and may also be restricting flow of sea water to the engine. I can't find a manufacturer's name on the unit, but it is 2 feet long, with 1 1/4 inch hoses in and out. I've googled many sites, but can't find anything quite the same. Maybe it's not popular anymore (Mine was installed in New Zealand). Anyone know where to find something like this?
Cheers,
David
SV Jipcho

Old 02-10-2015, 04:32   #2

Boat: Morris Justine
Re: Engine driven fridge/freezer needs a new condenser

I have a Seafrost engine driven system. When I broke my compressor, I was
able to get a new one from Seafrost and install it without any problems.

Figuring our the manufacturer might make it a lot easier. Or, even if you
can just find an exact replacement for the compressor. Try bringing it to
a car repair shop that specializes in air con - they might have ideas.

Good luck.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:13   #3
Marine Service Provider

The best thing about engine driven refrigeration other than not needing to worry about expensive direct current power management is all replacement parts are available most any where in the world.

Seawater to refrigerant or seawater to oil heat exchangers are generally interchangeable. The condenser you describe with 1 inch hoses sounds like a marine engine or transmission oil heat exchanger commonly used around the world in engine driven refrigeration. It is important that these heat exchangers be constructed from saltwater resistant marine brass. Unlike other type tube in tube air conditioning condensers seawater passes through multiple small tubes on your heat exchanger. Most charter boat and engine driven refrigeration manufactured outside the US use the type heat exchanger. Technautics in this country used multiple tube heat exchangers like yours on their engine driven pleasure boat refrigeration utilizing cooling water">engine cooling water to remove refrigeration process heat before interring engine.

On engines having seawater pump and hoses larger than of an inch operating in less than tropical water temperatures a seawater adjustable water bypass around condenser is recommended.
Old 09-10-2015, 00:08   #4

David, many years ago, while working for quality stainless fabricators I built and installed that condenser. Have a count of how many tubes it has internal if 7 then it is a copper core, if 4 it'll be alu-bronze, nowadays I use 90/10 cupro nickel and instead of 2 5/8" copper outer they are now 3 1/8" however this has enabled them to be shorter overall (500mm) from memory there will be a zinc anode in the inlet (thread 3/8"bsp) along with a pressure relief valve just up a bit, if you can source 90/10 low fin tube locally (5/8" bore) then it is easy to pop 7 of these at 420mm long into a 3 1/8" copper tube 500 mm long , use 15% silfoss or better and weldcote the remaining exposed copper body (as in while its still welding hot run silfoss over it) which'll negate a lot of rot problems, you'll also note another tube like thingey alongside probably painted blue that is a refrigerant receiver and does need to be there I still make these so if you want one (no idea where you are BTW) then PM and we can arrange.......Tony..Seafreeze NZ
Old 10-10-2015, 10:51   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann View Post
The best thing about engine driven refrigeration other than not needing to worry about expensive direct current power management is all replacement parts are available most any where in the world.

Seawater to refrigerant or seawater to oil heat exchangers are generally interchangeable. The condenser you describe with 1 inch hoses sounds like a marine engine or transmission oil heat exchanger commonly used around the world in engine driven refrigeration. It is important that these heat exchangers be constructed from saltwater resistant marine brass. Unlike other type tube in tube air conditioning condensers seawater passes through multiple small tubes on your heat exchanger. Most charter boat and engine driven refrigeration manufactured outside the US use the type heat exchanger. Technautics in this country used multiple tube heat exchangers like yours on their engine driven pleasure boat refrigeration utilizing engine cooling water to remove refrigeration process heat before interring engine.

On engines having seawater pump and hoses larger than of an inch operating in less than tropical water temperatures a seawater adjustable water bypass around condenser is recommended.
Hi Richard,
Thanks for the reply. My gut feeling is that you are on the money. I believe my condenser is indeed bronze or brass. At least I know that the nut containing the zinc is. I have cleaned out my old condenser with vinegar and water, inserted a new nut and zinc, and will see how it runs now after she's back in the water in November. I will research Technautics for a replacement, and may pick one up just in case. I'll be in the Caribbean for another season or two, so I don't have any long passages on my itinerary right now, so there's no urgency. Thanks for the help!
David
Old 10-10-2015, 10:58   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfnz View Post
David, many years ago, while working for quality stainless fabricators I built and installed that condenser. Have a count of how many tubes it has internal if 7 then it is a copper core, if 4 it'll be alu-bronze, nowadays I use 90/10 cupro nickel and instead of 2 5/8" copper outer they are now 3 1/8" however this has enabled them to be shorter overall (500mm) from memory there will be a zinc anode in the inlet (thread 3/8"bsp) along with a pressure relief valve just up a bit, if you can source 90/10 low fin tube locally (5/8" bore) then it is easy to pop 7 of these at 420mm long into a 3 1/8" copper tube 500 mm long , use 15% silfoss or better and weldcote the remaining exposed copper body (as in while its still welding hot run silfoss over it) which'll negate a lot of rot problems, you'll also note another tube like thingey alongside probably painted blue that is a refrigerant receiver and does need to be there I still make these so if you want one (no idea where you are BTW) then PM and we can arrange.......Tony..Seafreeze NZ
Hi Tony,
That's interesting. I wonder if you actually installed MY freezer on Jipcho at Gulf Harbor Marina in Whangaparoa (Seaquip?).
Anyway, thanks for your reply. I've cleaned out the condenser with vinegar and water, changed the zinc plug, and when I relaunch in November hopefully she will be back to top form. If not, I will take your advice and try the repair, or may search out a similar new product, as mentioned by Richard Kollman. I miss NZ, and eventually hope to get Jipcho back to her home waters after circumnavigation.
Chhers,
David

Tags
engine, freezer

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: