Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2013, 16:39   #16
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII
Re: Engine connections to hot water tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by nes View Post
This diesel had very specific directions against running at low load (less than 30%).
The reason given for the load restriction was lower cylinder pressure at low load. The piston rings are designed to operate at rated load combustion pressures, this ensures normal lube oil consumption rates. Light and no load operation promotes “souping”, which is excessive oil escaping past piston rings into combustion chamber. Souping causes smoking exhaust and potential exhaust manifold fires.
Yes, forgot about that. I know it as 'slobbering' and it can make a mess out of your exhaust system. It can also cause buildup in the combustion chamber as it just runs too cold. Also, according to what I have read (no first hand experience thank God), this condition can become permanent if the engine runs under those conditions too long. I gather that both the rings and cylinder liner get damaged over the long term.
I have not heard mention of exhaust fires but can see that happening if the engine is run on idle for a long time.
I should clarify one thing - in my opinion (and no, I can't back it up), running at just above idle 'should' be ok if the engine is heavily loaded. Having said that, I tend to run around 2000 rpm to cover my butt.
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 06:54   #17

Boat: Catalina 310
Re: Engine Connections to Hot Water Tank

For those following the discussion on idling diesel engines, I started a new post so I wouldn't hijack this thread.
Old 25-09-2013, 07:26   #18
nes

Boat: Island Packet 445
Re: Engine Connections to Hot Water Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK n Smitty View Post
For those following the discussion on idling diesel engines, I started a new post so I wouldn't hijack this thread.
Thank you for pointing this out and starting the new thread. I am one of the guilty parties for hijacking this thread. (Even if it was unintentional).
nes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, water