Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 18:28   #1

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Engel Refrigeration

Looking for info from boats with Engels aboard.
1) Are you happy with em
2) do they throw off a lot of heat (we would like to put one under our slaon table)
3) what is your average draw during the summer months

and anything else you'd like to add

Thanks,
Erika
Old 04-03-2011, 18:37   #2

Boat: 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl hull 172
Re: Engel refrigeration

Can't comment firsthand Erika, but Rebel Heart mentions using one here
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ugh-56061.html
at 1-3 amps & about a 15-20% duty cycle.
Old 04-03-2011, 19:10   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Looking for info from boats with Engels aboard.
1) Are you happy with em
2) do they throw off a lot of heat (we would like to put one under our slaon table)
3) what is your average draw during the summer months

and anything else you'd like to add

Thanks,
Erika
Erika:

I've had an Engel unit on board about ten years. Great units started out just using it for refrigeration:
http://biankablog.blogspot.com/2010/02/what-works-whats-cool.html

Then this past season tried an experiment using it as a freezer and froze bottles of water that I then put into a regular cooler. That work really great too and how I will probably use it from now on:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: IS THIS A COOL WORLD OR WHAT!

The Engel I have draws a little under 3 amps and my two 75 watt solar panels have no problem keeping everything topped up. They are great units and don't put out a lot of heat. But, I'd recommend that you do want to give them some space on the side where the compressor is located i.e. don't box it in completely.
Old 04-03-2011, 19:15   #4

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Thumbs up Re: Engel refrigeration

I have had mine for 4 (5?) years now... very happy with it.

It is an 27, which is about the right size for us. It draws 2.4a when running (IAW our Link 10 monitor). In temperate climate it will run VERY little if you are not in it often... in the summer (FL and Bahamas) it would run more, but mostly when opened... very reasonable.

What I like most about it is that it is quiet, more so then some installed systems. The heat it puts into the cabin is not an issue for us, and we are on a smaller boat where it would be noticed more.

THey sell a fancy mount, I passed on that since it has good handles that allow it to be easily secured.

I also passed on the insulated blanket, some say it improves the performance... one thing I do is to cover the lid with a towel since where it is located the sun can shine directly on it when the hatch is open...

I am happy with mine, as are all the people I have spoken to who have them. Like much good boat gear, they are expensive... but you get what you pay for.

It will freeze if set above 1.5, and
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 19:41   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Hmm... I had love/hate relationship with mine. OK I am going back 20 years when I had it on the boat so the units may have changed since then.

Pros: Easy to buy and just plonk on board, always worked (in fact my 20 year old engel still works even after sitting unused for some years).

Cons: poor (thin) insulation, takes up a lot of space compared to a custom unit built to fit your boat, not very efficient (due thin insulation and static air condenser).

I ended up building a custom box around it (except for the condenser end) that had an extra 1.5" insulated sides, 1" insulated bottom and 2" insulated top.

If I was doing it again, I might add some flat fans against the condenser tubing.

I can't recall the actual current draws but it wasn't over the top.

But it really depends on your ambient temperatures, I found my set up was OK for cabin temps around the mid 20's (C) but pretty sad once temps went above the low 30's (C).

Previously I had a custom built unit with about the same internal space but with 4" of insulation and a remote static water cooled condenser and it was at least four times more efficient but cost 3 times the price and took weeks to install.

So all in all, I liked the Engel but it wasn't great, rather it was just OK (and tough).
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 20:40   #6

I am thinking of buying the 40 quart cooler ($850) and building a box in front of companionway to install it in. Open where it needs to vent. My bridgedeck is only 4 inches so this would act as a more proper size bridgedeck and no changes in cabin. For now a small cooler and frozen water bottles work but it would be nice to have a permanent DC powered one in the future.
blgklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 21:59   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

I have one..draws about 3 amps.
It was bought new 2004 and used and abused it as a "work" fridge during my refit (up until last summer) it was amazingly quiet, and had excellent temp control. I cant realy say as I noticed it being hot, although I know it should have had a fair discharge.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:11   #8

Thanks for the input!
Erika
Old 13-04-2011, 06:13   #9

Got our Engel45, plugged it in, set it to 3, and went to the movies (Source Code -good movie). Got back three hours later, thermostat read 6.6 deg F! What a great product.
Erika
Old 13-04-2011, 12:09   #10
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Then this past season tried an experiment using it as a freezer and froze bottles of water that I then put into a regular cooler. That work really great too and how I will probably use it from now on:
Freezer Blocks seem to capture and hold cold better than bottled water - and smaller in size. Used to get around 3 days out of them in a cool box (Northern Summers). Downside is that you can't drink them when they defrost

Twin Freezer Packs 2 x 200g - Cooling Equipment -> Cool Boxes and Bags - Cooking - Family Camping Supplies - For all your family camping needs
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 12:16   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Got our Engel45, plugged it in, set it to 3, and went to the movies (Source Code -good movie). Got back three hours later, thermostat read 6.6 deg F! What a great product.
Erika
Yeah we have the same model I believe. It's really a great product. And if you have a problem with it you don't need to gut the boat to fix it.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 13:47   #12

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
Re: Engel Refrigeration

Mine has been plugged in for 4years and has never missed a beat. It's under the table on Turtle and at a bit past "2" it keeps my beer at a lovely 32* summer or winter here in Houston. No/little noise and no noticable extra heat in the cabin. I love my Engel........m
Old 13-04-2011, 14:31   #13

Boat: 36ft one off trimiran

I have 2x engels a 40L and a 38L we bought them in 2002 and they havent been off ever since, they draw roughly 3.2 amps, they are the bees knees ! and they dont give off any heat that iam aware of-cheers andy
trinescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 07:06   #14

Boat: Hunter 41 - Kava Kava

We use ours for extra storage when we're out for a few weeks. Use it mostly for bulky items, like lettuce and other veggies. Don't have to turn it very cold, so uses less electricity.
truant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigeration