Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-10-2017, 12:01   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Engel fridge/freezer deal!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosiersailor View Post
Did you try it at different settings? I set it on 2 for cold beer and waters and that seemed to be perfect. Right around 33F. On the way home (2 hour drive) I had a few waters left so I turned it down to 5 and the waters were frozen when I got home.

Thanks again for the heads up on the deal. I did see the price has gone up a little to 649 now. Will have to see how it holds up on the boat and taking road trips, but so far happy.
I set mine just slightly under 2. I think with the box completely filled and air flow restricted it was colder in the bottom. Some lettuce froze in the bottom even though the thermometer on the top of the basket was above freezing. Might add a little fan to circulate the air when it's really full.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:20   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Engel fridge/freezer deal!!!

Got mine today.

1. It is heavy, be real heavy full of food, but has to be heavy Iím sure with the compressor and all.
2. There is less interior space than I was expecting, the compressor takes up a large portion of the box, I assume the next size up loses the same cu in to the compressor but you get 50% more interior volume, likely with not much increased exterior size? Maybe the 60 gt might be worth a look?
3. It is noisy, actually it vibrates a good bit and this vibration is the noise. Place your hand on it and you can really feel it, there is no question whether itís running or not. I could see how if anything were loose and it set up a secondary vibration it could be noisy indeed. Mine is sitting on a very thick cushiony rug which should isolate the vibration, but if I turn everything off in the Boat you can certainly hear it, no question
4. It does seem to work very well, as in it cooled down very quickly, which makes me think that if I were to go buy 20 lbs of meat that it just might freeze all 20 lbs in one day, maybe.
5. Itís not as well insulated as I would have though, itís in the interior of the Boat with interior furnishings around where itís placed at 78F, the exterior of the Engel is 67F, however it obviously cools very well anyway.

Tags
freezer

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: