Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2009, 04:22   #16

Boat: Portobello - a Walter Knoop designed "DOVEN 30"
I put an electric loo in my boat - the swirl it produces seems to solve/dissolve the problem.
Portobello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 05:39   #17

I have a small toilet brush which is a nothing but a dish washing brush with nylon bristles which hangs on a hook next to the head to clean the inside of the bowl. Out sink is right there too and it has a hand shower which allows one to apply fresh pressurized water if flushing with salt water is not enough.

A more challenging problem are the big guys which are hard and don't want to "go with the flow" and remain behind. YIKES These critter require demolition before heading to better places. The toilet brush seems to be thee weapon of choice here. A few drop of dish soap seems to help in clean ups.

This is not rocket science.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 09:01   #18

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte
After use, we give the bowel a good pumping[...]

Apologies in advance for the thread drift, but occasionally have a look on Ebay for bowel listings. Lots of bowls.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 07:23   #19

Boat: Catalina 30
Send a message via Yahoo to anjinsan
Well, this thread has so moved me that I decided to try some of this at home since the boat is in the shipyard having her bottom painted...So..I placed the tissue in the bowl NS and EW as instructed. Wanting to be accurate, I got my hand bearing compass out to check my alignment. Yumpping Yimmany...I was off course!! Not wanting to get my dividers wet durring this re positioning, I went to the kitchen, got a pair of chopsticks, grabbed my US Army issue Stocker and Yale compass. There I was, on the floor in front of the toilet, chopsticks in hand when my Japanese wife walked in!!Of course shes the one with the camera around her neck. I wont send along the pics she took. She would not let me see them. I think she sent them to her lawyer.
anjinsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 08:38   #20
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
this sounds very strange
gonesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 12:07   #21

baby bottle brush works great for cleaning the daily stains. for removal of the built-up stains I pour about a pint of muriatic acid and let it set for about 15 min.

keep in mind that I have no baby, so no accidental mixups.
thefilthywhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2009, 07:54   #22
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjinsan View Post
Well, this thread has so moved me that I decided to try some of this at home since the boat is in the shipyard having her bottom painted...So..I placed the tissue in the bowl NS and EW as instructed. Wanting to be accurate, I got my hand bearing compass out to check my alignment. Yumpping Yimmany...I was off course!! Not wanting to get my dividers wet durring this re positioning, I went to the kitchen, got a pair of chopsticks, grabbed my US Army issue Stocker and Yale compass. There I was, on the floor in front of the toilet, chopsticks in hand when my Japanese wife walked in!!Of course shes the one with the camera around her neck. I wont send along the pics she took. She would not let me see them. I think she sent them to her lawyer.
Priceless!! Lol
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2009, 09:58   #23

I have a lavac, which produces a decent amount of flush power. It's run by a Mark V bilge / waste pump.

After you use the head for a #2, I like to put a splash of vinegar in. It helps to kill any odors, and increases the acidity of the water. Causes "stuff" not to stick so much, and helps disolve salts. Pushing vinegar through your head is always good to do.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2009, 10:01   #24

Just to get all of this out there so I never have to write about this again, I'd add in that your diet can make a huge difference as well when it comes the gross-ness of anything that comes out the other side.

A diet in more natural foods, low to little alcohol, and eating portions inline with your needs (and not necassarily your appetite) can make things a lot easier on the pipes, literally.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2009, 12:55   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
ah contrare...its the high fiber diets that really sink your boat, or at least make it uninhabitable.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2009, 17:14   #26
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
How to make a 16 inch floater….

Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2009, 21:15   #27

Boat: Beneteau 36.7
Some threads are designed to head south.

This one managed to gain a suprising amount of useful information.....
theonecalledtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2009, 22:48   #28

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
A diet in low to little alcohol, .

surely you jest sir. I would rather deal with the skid marks drunk than sober....
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2009, 04:15   #29

Boat: Cal 39, Karma

Finally...an area I can post about with some expertise. About once a week, I dry my bowel an wax the inside. I'm obsessive about cleanliness of the head.
Rebel Heart, what did you ever decide about the Portland Pudgy? I'm thinking about buying one.
jim
jimking100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 03:06   #30

Boat: Bristol 35.5
Each season, apply 2 coats of "Rejex" a wax (expensive) which works well for autos and wheels. Extremely slippery and, best of all, it works!
sbrin is offline   Reply With Quote