Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2014, 16:31   #16
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Re: electronic frig thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
yes I know this, which is why I asked if asked if people had any experience with the electronic ones as they are programmable
I made one, inexpensive and very flexible in what you can measure & record. See this thread....
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nt-124511.html
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 18:03   #17
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Why would you want the refrigerator thermostat to be programmable? So it could make the beer colder in the evening, but not waste time keeping it cold after 1am?

I don't get it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 21:47   #18
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Why would you want the refrigerator thermostat to be programmable? So it could make the beer colder in the evening, but not waste time keeping it cold after 1am?

I don't get it.
Why not

Aren't all thermostats programmable?

For less than a replacement mechanical and a bit of work you can make one which can do the same job as a normal one but much more besides, log cycling time and adjust both on & off temps. For the cost of a couple of beers I added a bluetooth board so can control from a tablet. Time will tell with reliability, good chance it will be better than a mechanical unit.
Old 25-07-2014, 05:34   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Richard Kollmann on the subject ➥ http://www.kollmann-marine.com/tip6.aspx

DIY Thermostats With Adjustable Hysteresis

A Thermostat With Adjustable Hysteresis

Simple electronic fridge thermostat

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 08:06   #20
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Aren't all thermostats programmable?"
Adjustable, yes. Programmable? No.

A home house thermostat that can be programmed to raise and lower temperatures according to when the occupants are home, away, or asleep, is programmable for a good reason. Although most are programmed incorrectly or not at all, apparently.

A refrigerator or freezer thermostat that is programmable, meaning, it follows a program to vary temperatures according to times? Makes no sense at all. Those boxes are always kept at constant temperature, as far as I've known.

The ice cream, the beer, the milk, are always either at the right temperature, or the wrong temperature. And kept there.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 14:41   #21

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC
Re: Electronic Frig Thermostat

Has anyone out there had any in-use experience with the stainless steel heat exchanger sold by Ozefridge?
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 19:41   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

A refrigerator or freezer thermostat that is programmable, meaning, it follows a program to vary temperatures according to times? Makes no sense at all. .
Adjustable /programmable, fair enough. The point was that it is not that difficult or expensive to replace a mechanical thermostat with a microprocessor which can do exactly the same job and much more besides. For example a few lines of code could raise the temperature as the batteries get discharged etc.
Old 26-07-2014, 07:00   #23
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Adjustable /programmable, fair enough. The point was that it is not that difficult or expensive to replace a mechanical thermostat with a microprocessor which can do exactly the same job and much more besides. For example a few lines of code could raise the temperature as the batteries get discharged etc.

Thermostat control tampering
I am surprised to read some of the compromising performance remarks about thermostats as they point out how mobile boat refrigeration has a different meaning to each want to be boater. Most boaters and especially blue water boaters want a dependable refrigerator with the ability of maintaining food quality and cooling drinks. Adding less reliable electronics may be OK in an automobile traded every three to five year, but not so smart in a marine dynamitic environment of shack, rattle and moist air conditions.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 07:12   #24
CLOD

Boat: none

So tell me about a good mechanical thermostat got my spillover fan the will maintain air temperature between say. 34-38 degrees. I'm not locked into an electronic one I just want my meat to not spoil and at same time my soda to not freeze .

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 26-07-2014, 07:16   #25
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann View Post
Thermostat control tampering
I am surprised to read some of the compromising performance remarks about thermostats as they point out how mobile boat refrigeration has a different meaning to each want to be boater. Most boaters and especially blue water boaters want a dependable refrigerator with the ability of maintaining food quality and cooling drinks. Adding less reliable electronics may be OK in an automobile traded every three to five year, but not so smart in a marine dynamitic environment of shack, rattle and moist air conditions.
Less reliable electronics? How do you know? We're talking about some basic chips as opposed to a mechanical switch turning on and off some much more complex electronics in the unit driving the compressor. Why should that be less reliable?
Old 26-07-2014, 08:37   #26
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Less reliable electronics? How do you know? We're talking about some basic chips as opposed to a mechanical switch turning on and off some much more complex electronics in the unit driving the compressor. Why should that be less reliable?

It is not that electronics can not be designed and protected as well as snap action mechanical thermostats against shock or vibration or even voltage spikes and corrosion. The problem is most electronic boat circuit boards are not protected against marine harsh environments. One of the best examples of this is Adler Barbour CU100 and 200 electronic circuit board failures. Failures of mechanical thermostats are repairable or easily bypassed any where in the world by almost anyone.

Anyone who truly used a boat on vacation or as a live aboard is already aware of the number of repairs that need to be corrected when back in dock after a cruise. Smart boat owners know to keep it simple and avoid equipment failures. Knowledge of how to handle equipment redundancy can also be a big help while cruising.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 14:25   #27
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann View Post
It is not that electronics can not be designed and protected as well as snap action mechanical thermostats against shock or vibration or even voltage spikes and corrosion. The problem is most electronic boat circuit boards are not protected against marine harsh environments. One of the best examples of this is Adler Barbour CU100 and 200 electronic circuit board failures. Failures of mechanical thermostats are repairable or easily bypassed any where in the world by almost anyone.

Anyone who truly used a boat on vacation or as a live aboard is already aware of the number of repairs that need to be corrected when back in dock after a cruise. Smart boat owners know to keep it simple and avoid equipment failures. Knowledge of how to handle equipment redundancy can also be a big help while cruising.
I think you're being a bit harsh on diy electronics, I've been a full time liveaboard for 8 years, it doesn't take much to offer substantial protection - ip66 or better enclosures cost very little as do micro controllers and voltage regulators. Certainly easy to provide much better protection than the bd35 controller I have on board which doesn't seem designed to be protected against a harsh marine environment. The big downside is that you really need to enjoy tinkering and a little programming to build a simple microprocessor thermostat, if not then it's unlikely you'll spend the time learning, though it really is low level simple stuff.

Mechanical thermostats repairable anywhere by almost anyone?.......... Hmmm..
Old 26-07-2014, 16:54   #28

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

We have AB electronic thermostats (I think they are actually rebranded Carel) that have worked perfectly for 15yrs. Other boats we know have even older ones.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 13:07   #29
CLOD

Boat: none

So during a recent 9 day sailing trip the fan thermostat has lost the war and now the fan just runs constantly (better than it not running at all). So I turned down the freezer temperature to control the temperature in the refrigerator side of the box and than worked well.

But now I'm back to looking for a replacement thermostat for the spillover fan if there are more suggestions.
Old 07-09-2014, 13:19   #30

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I'm upgrading to a carel.

RPARTS.COM - DIY Kit Analog Thermostat to Digital
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote