Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2018, 05:49   #31

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Electric Toilets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata View Post
Slight variation on the topic, but in the right area of CF for an answer (I think)
Does the group see a benefit in using the Raritan Treatment system discharging into a holding tank? Particularly where the Raritan system is not approved for direct discharge overboard.
Obviously more expensive than either system on its own.
Less smell in the tank due to a lower bacteria count?
Fully macerated solids, less chance of blockages into or out of the holding tank?

Not exactly like that, but Raritan's Hold 'N' Treat system is one way to deal with No Discharge Zones even with a treatment system (either Electrosan or Purasan) onboard.

In that system, waste passes through the holding tank on it's way to treatment... but the last step can be turned off while in an NDZ, so effluent stays in the holding tank.

Check their website.

If it happens the toilet is electric, solids are likely fully-macerated as they leave the toil anyway. If you have odor from the holding tank.... that's a different problem. Read Peggie's book.

-Chris
Old 29-10-2018, 06:09   #32

Boat: Jarkan King 40 12m

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
I'd seriously look at a new Planus toilet, or maybe Tecma. They are considered by the moboers to be the dog's nuts. They do require a fresh water supply, but that has its advantages too. This is not what I do, but what I would probably do.
I have 3 Tecma's on my boat, switchable to raw or fresh flush, no problems for 5 years. Best marine toilets I have ever owned.
Bruce K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 13:08   #33

Boat: Stuart 47

To clarify my previous post:
I meant an Lectrasan Unit (by Raritan) upstream of a holding tank.
Waste is Macerated, Reduces bacterial count then into holding tank. With a reduced bacterial count, will the smell and management of a holding tank be easier/less smelly?
Toccata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 14:10   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Electric Toilets

From owning an RV for years, they have two very different schools of thought.
1. Sterilize the waste, most often used chemical seemed to be formaldehyde.
2. Culture if you will waste “eating” bacteria, you actually add the dried bacteria to your waste tank.

If you decide to switch from the sterilize to the bacteria method, you have to be very diligent about cleaning your tank very well and even then it may take some time to get rid of all the chemicals and get the bacteria growing.
The bacteria method takes a very good ventilated tank.

I tried both, and it’s my opinion that the bacteria method was far superior in reducing odor
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 05:08   #35

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata View Post
To clarify my previous post:
I meant an Lectrasan Unit (by Raritan) upstream of a holding tank.
Waste is Macerated, Reduces bacterial count then into holding tank. With a reduced bacterial count, will the smell and management of a holding tank be easier/less smelly?

I knew what you meant. IMO, no.

The additional unit would add complexity; not by itself a bad thing, but generally more complex = more management.

You also wouldn't be able to discharge direct from the holding tank afterwards... without retreating. IOW, you'd be spending lots of money for the treatment system, and then not actually getting the main benefit.

If you already have odors, you have a different problem. Loose connections, permeated hoses, insufficient tank venting, expired vent filter (if you have one), inappropriate tank treatment products, etc. Peggie's book addresses all that and more.

-Chris

Tags
electric, oil