Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 22:27   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seidelmann 30T
Electric Toilet Question

OK, I've done some pretty exhaustive research and I'm leaning toward the Raritan Sea Era electric toilet. I'd love to get the Marine Elegance, but it's just too pricey. It seems that the main differences are that the M.E. has that nifty 4 button switch, looks a little nicer and it's made of porcelain, while the Sea Era has a single push button switch, looks more like a boat toilet and has more plastic. Does that sound right?

Also, I'm concerned with noise, but I don't want to get the freshwater flush version (I just don't have enough freshwater aboard, plus my pressure water pump sounds like a jackhammer and its right under our v-berth). Our head is right next to the v-berth. So, is it right that the main noise culprit of the Sea Era is the raw water intake pump? So if I get the remote mounted intake pump I can mount it farther away from the v-berth in the salon (that'll be 2 bulkheads away from the v-berth.) That way, the only noise at the toilet will be the discharge pump plus the swishy-flushy noises. Even if the two pumps make the same amount of noise, at least I'll have 1 of the pumps farther away from the sleeper, thus theoretically cutting the noise in half.

Is there a big noise difference between the Sea Era and the Elegance? Or do they both use the same pumps?

Also, is there any reason why I couldn't mount the intake pump upside down or sideways against a vertical bulkhead?

Thanks for the help,
Chris
chrisferro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 22:48   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Electric Toilet Question

Can't compare to the Sea Elegance, but can compare the Sea Era to the old Jabsco vertical toilet conversion.

I have the regular sea water integral pump model. It is less noisy than the Jabsco. The Sea Era uses a diaphragm supply pump instead of an impeller pump, and so it sounds like only one 747 taking off instead of two taking off simultaenously

To be honest, I was never really bothered by the sound the of the Jabsco, and the Raritan is better. The advantages of electric toilets are so great, that a little noise just doesn't bother me. It's the sound of freedom -- from sewage problems.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2012, 13:19   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seidelmann 30T
I've finished my Sea Era installation. It's fantastic - I'm very pleased. Much quieter than I thought and the single push button switch works very well: just hold it in for a couple of seconds until the bowl is clear. I highly recommend it!
chrisferro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2012, 14:17   #4

I've had a sea-era for a month now and am pretty happy too. A few quirks, and I'll be installing raritan's timer switch as well so a button press will give you x seconds of flush. It's noisy, but I've never had an electric before so I'm judging against manuals. I've gotten used to the noise.

Maybe too much information but the noise has a benefit. If you need to do .. something... that is going to generate a lot of noise for a few seconds, hold the button down while you do it. Noise is masked.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2012, 15:41   #5

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Boy a little noise is way better then the Eco friendly composting heads folks are useing ! man saw one on a boat we looked at and the bugs were everywhere around it ! UGGG Nasty !! Give me a little noise anytime !!!
Old 15-09-2012, 21:32   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Boy a little noise is way better then the Eco friendly composting heads folks are useing ! man saw one on a boat we looked at and the bugs were everywhere around it ! UGGG Nasty !! Give me a little noise anytime !!!
We had a Nature's Head for about a year. For that year, it was great. Then we got a bug infestation that was absolutely disgusting. No more composting heads on boats for me. If you're lucky enough to never get a bug infestation, then maybe it's a different story. We're neat freaks too.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric