Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 15:16   #1

Location: Working on the new boat getting ready for first shake down cruise. Currently on the east coast of the US.
Boat: Peterson 44.
Electric or Manual? Fountains as Toilets Don't Work!

Oh my gosh! Our wonderful weekend out sailing the Hauraki Gulf went slightly astray when our head decided to pack it in. Instead of pumping out and then blocking any back flow it now pumps out and fountains! NOT A GOOD LOOK! Thank goodness for a porta potti backup.

So my skipper is head down and bum up in the head at the moment trying to work out if it is fixable or not. Being an old head from America and us living here in NZ it may become a need to make the decision to buy a new one and here is the question. Electric or manual? What does everyone think of electric ones? Which ones are recommended as the quietest, easiest to maintain regularly and access all the bits? Obviously one that is available to buy here in NZ would be a BIG choice factor. Or should we stick with a manual?

Now another odd question - can anyone tell me if it is possible to change the orientation of the base of the toilet to the seat of the toilet. So instead of the normal electric toilet with the motor section at the back of the toilet, can we put it at the side and then place the seat in the normal position? ie:- the base sitting East West and the seat sitting North South? The seats all look like they are just bolted onto the base so because we are short of space we wondered if that is feasible?

Any and all help and suggestions are appreciated. Skipper now calling me from the depths - must go and help. Fiona
S/V Willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 15:27   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
So my skipper is head down and bum up in the head at the moment trying to work out if it is fixable or not.
Cheer up! All that can be made by man can be fixed by man (it's jot sexist just an old epression). You have a clogged flap some place. Close through hull and search and destroy.

Quote:
So instead of the normal electric toilet with the motor section at the back of the toilet, can we put it at the side and then place the seat in the normal position?
I don't think so. You rotate the whole head or you don't.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 21:54   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
The Admirals REALLY like the electrics. We have 2. We are very happy with the freshwater plumbed units.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 22:03   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I have an industrial grade manual one that has swallowed many things you are never supposed to put down a head. Its expensive but has paid for itself in reliability.

Its a Wilcox-Crittenden Skipper model.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 04:17   #5
CLOD

Boat: none
I have an old electric Newport head. Works good, but is kind of loud. Sometimes needs a little plunger help. It's motor is on the side and the bowl can be rotated around the base. So there must be newer models that do this also.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 14:03   #6

Location: Working on the new boat getting ready for first shake down cruise. Currently on the east coast of the US.
Boat: Peterson 44.
Thanks everyone for the replies. Ray has managed to locate the offending flapper valve and replaced it. The good news is there was a spare onboard and the even better news is that despite it being an American yacht with a groco toilet there is a distributor here in Auckland. Popped down yesterday and picked up two spares - took no longer than an hour there and back and a chat! Mr Have-a-chat was thrilled and so am I. Toilet now doing what it should - or at least appears to be. We are in the marina so can't use the head but it seems to be pumping the water through the right way, so next time we go out we shall try it again. This time with snorkels and goggles. Thanks again! Fiona
S/V Willow is offline   Reply With Quote