Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2014, 12:36   #46

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'
Re: Efficient Hhome Frigde/Freezer on a Boat?

Cruisingcat: How many watts of solar do you have?

__________________________________________________ ____________

That's one big issue, isn't it? I note the avatar and the handle - a cat owner. I'm in a monohull - not nearly as much real estate for laying out the vast solar panel farm he can. Everything here is about our desires and our realities. Given the amount of energy involved it means one should be clear on what one wants and what one has to power it.

I am leaning towards having 2 separate units both powered by danfoss comps and evaporator plates. I plan on 6" equivalent insulation for both so they will have optimal insulation. I am looking closely at aerogel as a way to reduce the footprint while maintaining the efficiency. I really need to limit the loss and potential for condensate as I am fitting this into a wooden boat and don't want the moisture lurking about in my timbers and frames. I like the idea of the multiple units as it will allow me to turn off one or the other or have them as possible refrigeration or freezer option as required. I plan on being really off grid for long periods. I am a novice in regards to figuring out if I can actually pull this off but it is fun fantasizing about it. Imagine that - when I was younger I fantasized about pretty girls and fast cars. Now I fantasize about a cool drink with ice in the cockpit with my favorite girl - my wife. I like it better this way.

Tags
freezer