Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2018, 05:14   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Eberspacher/Espar Hydronic 10 vs M-II

I am still struggling to get my heating system ready for the Arctic.

I have the old Hydronic 10, which has been fairly troublesome over the years. I replaced a burner tube for a boat buck two years ago, and now the ECU is dead (for the second time -- replaced five years ago, also for a boat buck). Eberspacher no longer support this heater and you can't even buy the overpriced and trouble-prone ECU any more.

I have another one in spares which I already took apart for a water pump, and the ECU might work. Alternatively, I have found an electronics shop which repairs PCB's and other electronic devices which MIGHT be able to repair the ECU. In addition, I found a used one for sale for a decent price. So for a few bucks I might have two working ones and a third in spares -- that should more or less do the trick I would think.

But what gnaws at me is whether this is just a bunch of old junk that I'm wasting my time on, and that I would be better off just tossing it and starting over again with the newer M-II version.

The Eber dealer who pronounced my old one dead, tried to sell me one of these as "much more reliable". I don't trust him, but I could see its being more reliable. The ECU from the old Hydronic 10 looks like early Cold War tech -- like something stolen off a crashed sputnik. The new one might really be better. Moreover, Eber themselves claim that the service life of the M-II is now double -- 6000 hours vs 3000 hours.

Does anyone have any relevant experience, or tips? I would be very grateful as I try to make this decision.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 06:48   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Eberspacher/Espar Hydronic 10 vs M-II

Try to feed it clean 12V power, separate circuit from the alt, starter, anything causing spikes and surges.

Maybe negotiate for some critical spares at his cost bundled with the new unit.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 07:03   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Eberspacher/Espar Hydronic 10 vs M-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Try to feed it clean 12V power, separate circuit from the alt, starter, anything causing spikes and surges.

Maybe negotiate for some critical spares at his cost bundled with the new unit.
I don't have this issue -- house bank is 24v and completely separated from engine and generator battery banks and charging systems. There are 440 amp/hours of batteries which is a huge damper, and no spikes or surges.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote