Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2019, 11:59   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
Drop in replacement for manual Jabsco?

Not looking to start a toilet war but want some advice.

I am sick of my manual Jabsco twist and lock toilet. It is going on year 4. I have replaced the joker valve each year. Also the bottom flapper valve. Still having problems will backflow. Jabsco said to put in a 1 way valve. I didn't need that in year 1 or 2.

As I am about to purchase a rebuild kit to replace the joker and flapper, and probably the pump for $70, I am wondering:

Is there a different manufacuturer that makes a model that will exactly it it's place that is more reliable? So I can just take out the Jabsco from the bottom, and install the new brand? I have read a few of the toilet war threads, but not sure what if any models will drop right in. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190413_132233.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	338.8 KB
ID:	191891  
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 13:27   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Drop in replacement for manual Jabsco?

Hi, jbinbi,

fxykty has just completed installation of an AirHead (a composting toilet), and at least in his boat, it seems to have gone smoothly.

Lavacs are good heads, but probably impractical for no discharge areas. We have had many problems with our Jabsco, many flapper valve replacements, whole pump replacement, etc., and i couldn't recommend one.

I think ultimately, the composting heads are the better way to go.

Here's a link to a composting toilet thread: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tc-201172.html

Ann
Old 12-05-2019, 13:43   #3

Boat: Hanse 348

Thanks. Not interested in a composting head. Was hoping Raritan made a model that drops in.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 14:24   #4

Boat: Volkscruiser

Not sure any other toilet has that same footprint so I think you will need to fill those bolt holes in the fiberglass under the manual pump. A Jabsco electric toilet could work in the same space, but you would need to run a couple of wires for the motor and switch. I would also replace the hoses as well so you have a completely fresh start.
You can get a Jabsco electric pump replacement for the manual pump but it is so expensive I think it is better value to buy a real electric toilet.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 14:57   #5

Boat: Beneteau 393

https://raritaneng.com/raritan-produ...e-toilets/phc/

Raritan PH Superflush
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 15:46   #6

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

Instead of rebuilding the pump, just replace the whole assembly; they are about $84.00 on Amazon. The Joker valve is a perishable expendable part, so a periodic replacement is to be expected. I've read that the Jabsco Joker valve is actually more durable than Raritan's.

Fair winds,
Leo
Leo Ticheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 15:54   #7

The answer is yes. "Drop-in replacement" may mean one of two things: the holes in the base line up AND/OR the outlet hose lines up.

Most folks don't realize the holes are meaningless, they don't matter, they're lag bolts.

The output hose DOES matter. Since most new toilets come with 90 degree swiveling elbows, it usually works if you have "some" wiggle room on the pedestal.

Raritan PHII or the LBA using your old bowl.

Head Replacement 101 - Installation of PHII Head Installation of Raritan PHII head w/Flix
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 20:34   #8
Marine Service Provider

Is there a different manufacuturer that makes a model that will exactly it it's place that is more reliable?

Yes...the Raritan PH SuperFlush Raritan PH SuperFlush It uses the PHII pump, which has been the top rated manual pump since Raritan introduced it in 1982. On sale at Defender for +/-$300 depending on whether you choose the smaller "standard" or "household" size bowl. Raritan designed the base with a mounting bolt pattern that's an exact match for the Jabsco manual toilet. There are a couple of differences in the plumbing connections...1. the flush water inlet fitting is on the front of the Raritan, so you may need a slightly longer inlet hose. 2. It may be necessary to replace the straight discharge fitting with a 90 or 45...Raritan will send you one. You might want to spend a little time with the owners manual for it: Raritan SuperFlush Owners Manual.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 08:18   #9

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

The whole Jabsco Compact toilet unit is on sale at Defender today and tomorrow for $119
Old 13-05-2019, 08:56   #10

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

I replaced 2 Par electric heads with Raritan SeaEra heads and the lag bolt holes all lined up. The hole in the floor where the water hose came through had to be enlarged to allow connection to the pump. I believe the Par and Jabsco are the same unit.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 18:48   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We have 2 Jabsco Quiet Flush heads. They should have the same base? Anyway, except for joker valves each year (yes, each year) and a pump on each in 11 years, they have been pretty much flawless.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 20:39   #12

Boat: Catalina 42

The Raritan Fresh Head is a direct replacement (mounting bolts and discharge) for the Jabsco. This would be an option only if you are interested in converting to a pressurized fresh water supply. I did this swap a few weeks ago and only had to cut just under an inch off of the discharge hose to get the Raritan to fit. The water supply conversion was easy.
neflier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jabsco, men