Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2011, 22:16   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We sail a range of sail and power yachts (usually 45-60'). This season, a 55' power catamaran.
Drinking Water from Watermakers

Is it the case that drinking water only from watermakers is bad for your health because of the way in which the watermaker de-mineralises the water? This can lead to the water leaching all the minerals from the cells in your body, which is harmful and potentially fatal?

In which case, what do people suggest? We are putting a very good watermaker with all the filters on our new build motor yacht which we will be living on for up to 6 months at a time. Should we only use this for washing, cooking, laundry etc.? Should we only drink bottled water or 'normal' water from marinas?

Or is this not a serious worry? There have been many posts on this and several threads but no conclusive comments! It was mentioned to us by a super yacht captain who thought that continuous drinking of only watermaker water was not good for you. What do you think?
escapeyachting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 23:06   #2

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Re: Drinking Water from Watermakers

I'm no doctor but I think the basic consensus is that 'hard' drinking water may provide certain minerals. Distilled water doesn't leach out minerals from your body and most of what you need comes from what you eat. You can also take multivitamins.

Best course of action is to speak with your family doctor!
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 23:14   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Is the water from a WM as low in mineral content as distilled water? I didn't think it was.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 23:19   #4

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Water produced by a watermaker has no ill effects what-so-ever. Neither does distilled water. Neither one causes any minerals to leach out of ones cells. As Muskoka says, most minerals one absorbs comes from the food one eats, not the water one drinks.
Old 24-10-2011, 23:37   #5

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

I trust the drinking water coming out of my water maker more than some of the water I get from certain fuel docks and marinas. As others have stated minerals are not leached from the body with watermaker water and most of our minerals come from fruits and vegetables we eat. There are a variety of vitamin suppliments than will provide us will all the minerals we need.
Old 25-10-2011, 01:21   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We sail a range of sail and power yachts (usually 45-60'). This season, a 55' power catamaran.

Thanks for these posts. I think we will need to get a proper medical opinion rather than generalised impressions. According to
http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_...ineralized.pdf - the World Health Organisation concludes on pages 16-17: "demineralised water that has not been re-mineralised, or low-mineral content water - in the light of the absence or the substantial lack of essential minerals in it - is not considered ideal drinking water, and therefore, its regular consumption may not be providing adequate levels of some beneficial nutrients."
Old 25-10-2011, 01:27   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal Cruising 46 - SATORI

Back in the Sea of Cortez in 1988/9 a friend was having some health issues and sought medical care back in the States. The Doc said she needed to drink at least one beer each day to supplement the lacking minerals in RO water. After she started drinking beer, no problems.

Works for me.
oldcal46skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 02:50   #8

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapeyachting View Post
Thanks for these posts. I think we will need to get a proper medical opinion rather than generalised impressions. According to
http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_...ineralized.pdf - the World Health Organisation concludes on pages 16-17: "demineralised water that has not been re-mineralised, or low-mineral content water - in the light of the absence or the substantial lack of essential minerals in it - is not considered ideal drinking water, and therefore, its regular consumption may not be providing adequate levels of some beneficial nutrients."
Note the word MAY....if you have an inadequate diet this could well be the case...and WHO is mostly talikng about countries where sanitation is not ideal, basic nutrition, also not ideal...and the water...well you wouldn't drink it !
I have no problemns drinking the water from the RO on my boat, I drink beer too, and eat a healthy dose of vegatables, fruit and meat...and I'm doing fine...

You guys worry too much !!
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 03:23   #9

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albro359 View Post
Note the word MAY....if you have an inadequate diet this could well be the case...and WHO is mostly talikng about countries where sanitation is not ideal, basic nutrition, also not ideal...and the water...well you wouldn't drink it !
I have no problemns drinking the water from the RO on my boat, I drink beer too, and eat a healthy dose of vegatables, fruit and meat...and I'm doing fine...

You guys worry too much !!
100% agree and its good to read such negative rumours on cruising and watermakers getting rebutted.
We and lots of cruiser pals ONLY drank our own watermaker produced water - once for a period close to a year - and zero ill effects. Whilst many sailing alongside using land water and you'll not be suprised in the eastern Med that many of them got bad tummies.
IMHO if your regular food products do not contain enough minerals to meet your bodily needs, then maybe change your diet before dimissing a watermaker.
Cheers
JOHN
Old 25-10-2011, 03:30   #10
Marine Service Provider

We were not dismissing watermakers! As we have no experience with them, we just wanted some advice, that's all! We are glad to hear that no one has had any problems with drinking water from watermakers and look forward to many years of doing so...
Old 25-10-2011, 04:22   #11

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcal46skipper View Post
Back in the Sea of Cortez in 1988/9 a friend was having some health issues and sought medical care back in the States. The Doc said she needed to drink at least one beer each day to supplement the lacking minerals in RO water. After she started drinking beer, no problems.

Works for me.
I think that should be the final word on this subject and we can close this thread. Works for me too!
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 04:28   #12

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

I look at it this way, drinking distilled water is totally unnatural, something your body was never intended to make use of in the natural world. But most likely harmless.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 04:38   #13
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

You'll be fine. You're far more likely to run into health issues in the food you eat that's been washed in questionable water sources as you travel. As others have said you'll get all the needed minerals from the foods you eat and the other liquids you'll consume. Measuring the mineral loss in RO water and claiming that it has an negative effect on your body is the same as saying since salt causes high blood pressure and can lead to heart attacks you should avoid ocean activities. Having a cheeseburger and two beers at Nippers will cause your body more damage than all the RO water you'll ever drink.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 04:43   #14

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

On another watermaker thread someone mentioned they dumped a cup of salt water into their water tank to regain some of the minerals.

I like the beer method better though. Especially Guinness, which surely has more minerals. . . .
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 04:52   #15

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

isn´t rainwater just distilled water?
plenty of people drinking that before the invention of the watermaker?
Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drinking water, safety, water, watermaker