Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-04-2013, 08:46   #1

DRAWING VACCUME ON HOLDING TANK

Greetings,
I am the owner of a 1978 35 foot Ta Yang ( Fantasia ) Bruce Bingham design sailboat.
I am not able to empty the holding tank due to a blocked vent line? We have tried low pressure down the vent, just builds pressure. Have tried running a chase wire to clear blockage. The wire gets a long ways towards the tank and then seems to encounter an elbow or other impediment to further travel.
I am told tat the holding tank on this vessel is placed in the full keel. I have not been able to get a visual on it. When I trace the vent line from the through hull it dissapears into some rigid foam insulation in the aft hanging closet sole. It kinda goes towards the Bilge but not visible on the other side of that bulkhead.
I would like to get to the point of termination at the tank. Can someone please enlghten me on the tank location, and or possible solutions ?

Thank you in advance.

Stephen Farmer
S/V E L F Adventures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0166.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	404.5 KB
ID:	59737   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4379.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	425.2 KB
ID:	59738  

Old 23-04-2013, 15:45   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Re: DRAWING VACCUME ON HOLDING TANK

Stephen, have you tried to trace the discharge line from the head or the line from the deck fitting for the pump out? Our Mariner 40 built by Ta Yang had a holding tank in the bilge just outside the head door under the floorboards, It was a separate tank made from fiberglass and it was directly behind the water tank. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 08:09   #3

Thank you for the feedback and sugestions on this missing holding tank issue. They put a 100 gallon tank in this vessel and I still have not actually seen it.
Yes I have traced the discharge line from the head and as it leaves the Y valve takes a dive forwards and down below the sole and towards centerline from the starboard head location where there is not access via inspection plates or hatches. The direction it travels seems like that which you described in your post. It sound as though your vessel constrtucted by Ta Yang is layed out about the same..
The 180gallon fresh water tank is located directly below the companionway ladder and that takes up the space at that level of the hull all the way aft to the engine compartment bulkhead. Of course there is a inspection/maint hatch cover giving full access to the Fresh water holding.
That leads me to believe that the sanitary holding tank is probably located in the keel below the fresh water holding tank. I will investgate this today. To gain access I will probably need to empty and remove the fresh water tank.

Any other suggestions before I get involved with this unwelcomed chore ?

I am curious to find out more about your vessel. Thanks again for your shared knowledge.

Stephen Farmer
S/V E L F Adventures
Old 24-04-2013, 09:19   #4

Boat: Alberg 30
Disconnect hose from the backside of the toilet. That will let you suck out at least.
I've cleaned my tank by pumping hard on the toilet while the vacuum was connected when my vent line plugged, flushed tank with sea water, then disco toilet output hose while tank is under vacuum from the pump, maybe a little dribble of sea water.

Less messy, and you could replace all head hoses at the same time to extend the life of everything and not be working with a full tank.
Old 24-04-2013, 09:43   #5

Good strategies, I like it. Glad I recieved this info in a timely matter before i started in on the removal of the F.W. Tank.
Your knowledge and insight are appreciated. Thank you !

I will repost here as to the out come ( pun intended ).

Steve Farmer S/V E L F Adventures​
Old 24-04-2013, 12:53   #6
Marine Service Provider

Steve, The Sea Trek Blog in my signature was our Mariner 40. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 24-04-2013, 12:53   #7

Boat: 34 Irwin
Check your vent line at the opposite end. I had the same issue. Turned out the vent had a screen the corrosion had clogged.
Old 24-04-2013, 14:43   #8

When we first got our boat the vent line was apparently plugged at the connection into the holding tank. Turns out there was a small diameter stainless elbow connector from the vent line hose into the tank. The elbow was plugged. Result was nearly a catastrophic explosion of the full tank. As the head contents were pumped into the tank, the residual air became pressurized and the tank actually swelled up.
Fortunately we caught it just in time, removed the offending elbow and replaced with a 1 inch diameter plastic fitting and larger diameter vent line. You might want to check the tank end of the line because that is where sh1t happens!!
Old 24-04-2013, 15:36   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjs View Post
When we first got our boat the vent line was apparently plugged at the connection into the holding tank. Turns out there was a small diameter stainless elbow connector from the vent line hose into the tank. The elbow was plugged. Result was nearly a catastrophic explosion of the full tank. As the head contents were pumped into the tank, the residual air became pressurized and the tank actually swelled up.
Fortunately we caught it just in time, removed the offending elbow and replaced with a 1 inch diameter plastic fitting and larger diameter vent line. You might want to check the tank end of the line because that is where sh1t happens!!
I believe that's what he is trying to locate. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: