Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2014, 07:12   #1

Downside To Deforming Head Hose?

In particular I am looking to heat gun some 1-1/2" Shields VAC HX to make a connection with a 1-3/4" fitting. My question is whether anybody can explain to me what this real downside of this is?

I read specs on similar hose, also a coextruded type, which I believe advised specifically against heating. This doesn't make any sense to me as heat is a part of the manufacturing process. Is it possible that this advisement is just CYA by the manufacturer?

Elsewhere on the boat similar connections have been made which if I had to guess are five or ten years old and show no signs of failure.

Also, any thoughts on the best head-hose lube? I have used lanolin in the past but wonder if there is something better?

Cheers
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 08:12   #2

Boat: Irwin 40
Re: Downside To Deforming Head Hose?

Heating and stretching the hose can cause thin spots which could lead to leaks. It is hard to heat evenly and will not stretch evenly. That said if you keep an eye on it you may never have any problems.
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 08:21   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

Hot water works better than a heat gun for some reason. Maybe the even heat but it tends to not split the hose as often. Silicone works better than Lanocote.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 08:28   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

There is an "expander" made to expand exhaust pipe so that one can fit over the other, should work well for this purpose should you desire to expand the pipe.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 08:40   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
There is an "expander" made to expand exhaust pipe so that one can fit over the other, should work well for this purpose should you desire to expand the pipe.
Great tip, you saved me a lot of potential micky-mousing around. Most appreciated!
Old 19-06-2014, 09:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Great tip, you saved me a lot of potential micky-mousing around. Most appreciated!
The problem with that tool is the hose will shrink back to it's old size before you can get it on. It's not really made to expand the exhaust pipe but to remove any deformation in the female part of the exh pipe joint. If you could get the hose to take a set with heat while the expander is inside, maybe.
Old 19-06-2014, 09:29   #7

This is exactly what I had in mind before a64Pilot told me what it was, so thanks for that!

I have used similar tools for different materials and purposes. It should work. Might be best to do it in steps. I have plenty of hose to mess around with. Pictures if it works out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AU083.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	83427  
Old 19-06-2014, 09:52   #8

Boat: Liberty 458

Fit the right size hose to the right size fitting using the right technique.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 10:03   #9
Marine Service Provider

This is the right tool for the job.

Vetus Hose adapter.

Lloyd
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 10:05   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCloud1937 View Post
This is the right tool for the job.

Vetus Hose adapter.

Lloyd

This is certainly a better method,much less chance of a bad outcome, even if it does put another joint in the system. I have expanded hose in the past though, sometimes auto parts stores will loan tools for free.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 10:17   #11

Agreed about the using the right size parts, also agreed about putting another joint in the system which was my point to wanting to try expanding it.

The fact that there is another successful connection elsewhere on the boat made at the same size with the same materials gives me pause to consider it worth the attempt. I've got the hose to play around with and there is a car shop down the block that will loan me the tool.

I am worried about the hard spot on the end of the tool causing a thin spot in the hose but figure by taking my time, doing a couple steps, and moving the tool around I might get decent results.

The guy before me did it, my guess is he did it in a similar fashion and five or ten years later no problems, so we will see what happens.
Old 19-06-2014, 10:29   #12
Marine Service Provider

Well it's a fairly big risk if this is a below the water fitting, and or a head hose.

The risk of a properly sized hose and a couple of non serrated AWB clamps per fitting, is the least likely failure mode.

Lloyd

Quote:
Agreed about the using the right size parts, also agreed about putting another joint in the system which was my point to wanting to try expanding it.

The fact that there is another successful connection elsewhere on the boat made at the same size with the same materials gives me pause to consider it worth the attempt. I've got the hose to play around with and there is a car shop down the block that will loan me the tool.

I am worried about the hard spot on the end of the tool causing a thin spot in the hose but figure by taking my time, doing a couple steps, and moving the tool around I might get decent results.

The guy before me did it, my guess is he did it in a similar fashion and five or ten years later no problems, so we will see what happens.
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 20:48   #13

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
In particular I am looking to heat gun some 1-1/2" Shields VAC HX to make a connection with a 1-3/4" fitting. My question is whether anybody can explain to me what this real downside of this is?...
Since you haven't provided enough information, it isn't possible for us to judge the downside potential.

But I am really curious why you seem to often look for a way to Mickey Mouse something, rather than repair it correctly?
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 21:11   #14

[QUOTE=Terra Nova;
But I am really curious why you seem to often look for a way to Mickey Mouse something, rather than repair it correctly?[/QUOTE]

If you ever go cruising , perhaps you too will join the Mickey Mouse Club. It becomes a way of life. Sometimes despite your best intentions.
Old 19-06-2014, 22:14   #15

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

BTW, a few drops of liquid dish-washing soap are usually all the lube that's needed.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head