Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2019, 09:17   #46

Re: Dometic CFX 65W 12V Electric Powered Portable Cooler (Fridge Freezer)... Trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
I have had Dometic sales people that didn't even know their units were multivoltage.

I asked Dometic for the RAL number for the color of the top of the CF120 so I could match the new countertop in my galley. Their colors are "trade secret". Ha!

If you hard wire your Dometic to a battery or other constant power source, just install an in-line fuse for your protection. Using a cigarette lighter socket is a no-no, too much current loss from the weak connection and corrosion.
Dielectric Grease.

Old 18-02-2019, 14:53   #47

Re: Dometic CFX 65W 12V Electric Powered Portable Cooler (Fridge Freezer)... Trouble.

Richard this is the type of controller on the newer Danfoss compressors. The 240/110V AC is on the same board as the compressor driver. They all have a TVS on the 12/24V DC input s does the older modules. The compressor is run of 27V 3 phase.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BD35 COMP Wave form.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	410.8 KB
ID:	186192   Click image for larger version

Name:	BD35F COMP.1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	423.0 KB
ID:	186193  

Name:	DANFOSS 101NO500 CONTROLER..3.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	324.4 KB
ID:	186194   Click image for larger version

Name:	DANFOSS CONT CR110.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	186195  

Name:	DANFOSS.  101NO500.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	446.0 KB
ID:	186196  

DeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 18:49   #48

My guess is a voltage drop. Powered Portable Cooler (Fridge Freezer)... Trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetePetePete View Post
I have a new Dometic CFX 65W 12V Electric Powered Portable Cooler (Fridge Freezer)...

Took it out for a quick 3 night "test" and here is the issue I'm having.

The unit has three settings for battery run-down safety. High, Medium, Low. The higher you set it, the sooner the unit will cut-off... the lower you set it (for deep-cycle batteries) the lower the voltage can go before it cuts off.

The first night, over night, I had it set to "lo" -- my Victron read 12.9v, all was good. I woke up that morning and it was off. My Victron reads 12.4v. The cut off is around 10.x V IIRC.

Ok. So I test all the house house batteries. Then I test the actual female plug (which is newly installed by myself with 10ga wire and everything heat shrunk, crimped, etc. perfectly)... and I get 12.4. I check the plug... not loose. No issue.

Then I have a brainstorm. This thing has an app that you can connect to the cooler... great! I look at the top of the app and it says my voltage is 10.2v

...hmmm... I check everything again. No way, It's 12.4v...

I'm working with tech support at Dometic, and I'll be doing some tests on my end with a brand-new battery and voltmeter right in-line, etc... but I'm wondering if anyone had similar issues. I previously had an Engel, but I wanted something bigger and after my Engel 40 died, I took that as an opportunity to go the 65. I only got 2 years out of the Engel.
My guess is a voltage drop when the compressor starts. Hook a voltmeter to the wires near the low voltage safety shut off. If it drops just for an instant to the preset voltage, it will trip the safety switch. The voltage while running isn't relevant, only the lowest which will be during the period of high amperage which is during the start. A larger battery or larger wires to the compressor may resolve the issue.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 09:34   #49
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBe View Post
Richard this is the type of controller on the newer Danfoss compressors. The 240/110V AC is on the same board as the compressor driver. They all have a TVS on the 12/24V DC input s does the older modules. The compressor is run of 27V 3 phase.
DeBe, If you would like a couple of failed Three pin or four pin modules Email me your address and I will send you some. Thanks for your analyses I certainly can not find fault with it. The energy resulting changes are as expected and not three phase cycles at 120 degrees overlapping as with conventional industrial three phase current. It is my understanding that when 12 volts is supplied to the newer module the actual pulsating AC current TVS is not 27 volts. Neither of my module test stands have the ability to measure modified AC voltage delivered direct to BD compressors.

In the last few years there are some new anomalies in reported LED codes on variable speed BD compressors where LED codes three, four, five and six flashes are accruing. Compressor runs and gets warm but no cooling correction again is boats wiring not voltage spikes but amperage variations bad power ground or even poor power wire circuit resistance. Because of the sensitivity of module’s boot up circuit bypassing wiring to find and correct problem the same as low voltage spikes is the best way. Without equipment to verify my belief I feel the dirty pulse phase current is disturbing and dropping intermittent phases preventing compressor from maintaining adequate refrigerant differential pressure.

DeBe maybe you can get another response from someone younger. OzePete is the one to convince because when I mentioned the evolution from DC brush motor compressor that were life limited to Brushless unlimited life compressors his negative, as always, comments had something to do with silk purses and a female swine’s ears. He also still believes Low voltage spikes do not exist in a boat’s wiring between battery and Danfoss BD control module. I did a low voltage spike search in my computer and found 56 hits. It is true that sustained voltage drop can be measures with a volt meter but when the duration of a low voltage DC spike reaching the control module is in micro seconds voltmeter is of no value and module will always go into a fault mode preventing compressor from starting. Although you can not read my 56 emails on voltage spikes and Danfoss modules you can search my inactive forum for Low Voltage Spike information.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 14:31   #50

They are 3 phase 120 deg, its just I can only can show wave form on one winding , don't have a 3 channel CRO. This is the block diagram of a Danfoss 101N0500 controller what is used on newer fridges.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DANFOSS  101N0500 Block diag.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	186261  
DeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 16:23   #51

Well. I should have listened to the CF crowd.

More time wasted. They sent me the new wire. The new wire, which is the red-tipped plug is actually LESS stout than the old one. The voltage reading on the app with the red tip is 10.7vDC, battery at 12.0vDC. The voltage reading on the app with the original black tip is 10.9vDC, battery at 12.0vDC.

At this point I am starting to feel like a sucker. I sold an Engel to buy this thing and I've spent a ton of time that I could be spending with my family fighting it out to get a stupid freezer to work.

I've sent a Dometic a bit stronger of an email that I'm done wasting my time with this thing... I'm not really interested in going to some "service center" or other waste of time. I bought this thing on January 10th 2019... it was on the boat for 3 days, and stopped working after the 1st day!

I'm pretty pissed off right now.
Old 19-02-2019, 16:49   #52

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...JPqNBLiKunPJ_4

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...tZwbUHwZN9R_fW

Here's a picture of it with the factory supplied wire...

And a picture of it with alligator clips right to the input side of the DC.

I'll let you figure out which is which.
Old 19-02-2019, 17:01   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetePetePete View Post
They sent me the new wire. The new wire, which is the red-tipped plug is actually LESS stout than the old one.

At this point I am starting to feel like a sucker. I sold an Engel to buy this thing and I've spent a ton of time that I could be spending with my family fighting it out to get a stupid freezer to work.

I'm pretty pissed off right now.
Don't get mad, just put in for the refund due you.

Worst case pay for the shipping.
john61ct is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 17:19   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Don't get mad, just put in for the refund due you.

Worst case pay for the shipping.
I'm going to wait and see what they say. Since it's been only a month and I've been working on this for over a week... I hope that they'll simply ship a unit that works like it should and I can put the old one back in box. I don't think that's unreasonable. At least I wasn't out in the Crooked Islands when it happened. Although, you likely don't want to hear my wife right now, "So, what if it craps out and we're on the second day of a two week run."

Yeah.
Old 20-02-2019, 07:03   #55

Wow! I really got scammed. I got a form letter back from Dometic. Basically, they want me to waste yet MORE time with this piece of junk, lugging it to a "service center". LOL.

What a scum bag of a company. The thing is a month old, used for 3 days, of which ONE day it worked.

AVOID DOMETIC FREEZERS!!!! I should have kept my Engel!!!
Old 20-02-2019, 07:20   #56

Hold on. Shortly after posting this I received another email that they are going to swap it.

Hopefully we're on the path to getting one that works consistently. Now I just need to my wife to stop asking, "How long will it work." :ugh:
Old 21-02-2019, 14:34   #57

Boat: Adams 35ft, round bilge steel, SV Saaremaa

Petepetepete,
I have the same model CFX65 fridge/freezer and it is hard wired to the house batteries and connected by an Anderson plug. It works perfectly and has been in use for a couple of years. When we go on a trip in the boat it is tied down on the port bunk in the saloon and that is the biggest drawback on a modest interior sized Adams 35, ie taking up a lot of room. We also use it in the back of our 4WD when we go off to the bush, camping in outback Australia.
We use it as a freezer to supplement food storage since the main refrigerator does not freeze as well. We have been very happy with the way it works and the fact that it is very efficient drawing little current.
It sounds like yours is a dud, probably made late on a Friday afternoon! Great that they are replacing it although bloody inconvenient!
Old 21-02-2019, 15:03   #58
cruiser

Boat: "Arapaho"

Quote:
Originally Posted by micknor51 View Post
Petepetepete,
I have the same model CFX65 fridge/freezer and it is hard wired to the house batteries and connected by an Anderson plug. It works perfectly and has been in use for a couple of years. When we go on a trip in the boat it is tied down on the port bunk in the saloon and that is the biggest drawback on a modest interior sized Adams 35, ie taking up a lot of room. We also use it in the back of our 4WD when we go off to the bush, camping in outback Australia.
We use it as a freezer to supplement food storage since the main refrigerator does not freeze as well. We have been very happy with the way it works and the fact that it is very efficient drawing little current.
It sounds like yours is a dud, probably made late on a Friday afternoon! Great that they are replacing it although bloody inconvenient!
Spot on Mick, 90% of all failure to start problems are because of poor power supply, cable, connectors etc as many here have described.
So PetePetePete, a repeat! those crappy cig plug connectors and flimsy cable are most likely the problem and replacing with similar will only provide a similar result. Hard wire with decent sized cable and use Anderson plugs.. Problem solved!

And here is how you can prove if the problem is the power supply or not: Click image for larger version

Name:	Voltage drop testing. 1.png
Views:	46
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	186389

Cheers OzePete
OzePete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 15:36   #59

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Sorry for your troubles.

At one time, we had both an Engel and a Dometic. We were running the Engel as a fridge, and the Dometic as a freezer. The Dometic always gave us problems. Non stop running, low voltage cut-out and so on.

We got rid of it and picked up a second Engel, no problems since.

Good luck getting it sorted out.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 18:54   #60
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzePete View Post
Spot on Mick, 90% of all failure to start problems are because of poor power supply, cable, connectors etc as many here have described.
So PetePetePete, a repeat! those crappy cig plug connectors and flimsy cable are most likely the problem and replacing with similar will only provide a similar result. Hard wire with decent sized cable and use Anderson plugs.. Problem solved!

And here is how you can prove if the problem is the power supply or not: Attachment 186389

Cheers OzePete
Experienced Technicians have proven dozens of times your voltmeter advice will not determine what the cause is or where to look for a solution. Your voltmeter test was done more than once along with replacing the power cord. When unit ran on AC power cord operation was normal. This meant your voltmeter testing wasted a great amount of troubleshooting time earning you another Black Star.

This Fool Proof procedure has generated good results more than 56 times.
Run correct size and correct polarity fused jumper wires direct from a fully charged battery to Danfoss control module DC power terminals in order to bypass all boat’s wiring. Volt meter readings are of no value as long as there is voltage at module, Compressor still does not run electronic module needs to be tested on another unit or sent to me to be run on one of my test machines. I have never charge for my services in my shop or on a boat.

Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, freezer