Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2019, 00:50   #1

Boat: 45' CC ketch
Domestic water heater on sailboat?

It looks like it is time to discard my old 40 lt marine water heater. It leaks like crazy and is generally no good any more. Too old. I am investigating options but marine heaters all start at 500+ Euros... However, I found a domestic heater with a heat exchanger for gas etc heating, and a 60 lt model is 150 euros. So the question is:

Is there a real reason for not using a domestic water heater (220v\engine heat exchanges) on the boat? Sure, marine one would most likely be more robust etc, but for the price of marine water heater, I could have a new domestic one every 3 years for example.

Is there a serious reason I should stay away from saving 400 Euros on water heater?
Sea Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:13   #2

Boat: Endurance 35 Ketch
Re: Domestic water heater on sailboat?

I don't think there is much difference apart from the price tag. However, may be worth speaking directly to a tank manufacturer. Try these guys
https://www.coppercylinder.co.uk/hor...lorifiers.html
The manufacture and sell both domestic and 'marine' tanks
ferrofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 03:06   #3

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

Quick marine water heaters are pretty reasonably priced in UK, eg. https://www.marinesuperstore.com/mar...iABEgKCwPD_BwE
I have one which is now about 10 years old and apart from a new electrical heating element no problems. Difficult to see how you could save much by going for domestic version.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 03:14   #4

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

There are some further thougts to consider.

• Most domestic hot water tanks are rated for gravity head pressures and not for a pressurised water system like marine versions
  • The insulation on marine versions usually has a hard cover for handling and support
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 03:22   #5

Boat: Endurance 35 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapanui View Post
There are some further thougts to consider.

• Most domestic hot water tanks are rated for gravity head pressures and not for a pressurised water system like marine versions
  • The insulation on marine versions usually has a hard cover for handling and support
Umm??, I guess that possibly depends which country you are refering to, almost all new build UK housing stock (and most refurbs) uses unvented mains pressure domestic hot water calorifiers in favour of vented (gravity fed) domestic hot water cylinders. Mains pressure to uk housing is normally stepped down to between 1.5 and 3 bar so using something like a Jabso par max 4 shouldn't present any problems so long as the correct pressure relieve valves and expansion tanks are fitted.
ferrofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 09:09   #6

Boat: Bristol 32

What about no tank , heat as needed, gas water in the line heating system?
Captain Parry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 09:29   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I have a USA 50 gallon domestic electric water heater on my powerboat. It's at least 10 years old. My diesel stove has a water coil that also heats it. Many small ships and commercial fishing boats use domestic water heaters. Depending on your water source, they need to be flushed yearly. I only use watermaker, heavily filtered water and have no sediment issues.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 05:07   #8

Boat: 45' CC ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Parry View Post
What about no tank , heat as needed, gas water in the line heating system?
IMO too much trouble with gas. I have enough with changing campingas cylinders for extraorbital prices in Europe, adding hot water to it would be way too much for me
Sea Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 07:15   #9

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

I often heat 1 gallon of water on the stove to a comfortable shower temp.
Get in the shower and wet myself down. Soap up. Use the rest of the water to rinse off...always more rinse water than I need. Easily applied w a 1 gallon jug.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, heater, sail, sailboat, water