Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-08-2010, 22:01   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I don't know what page it's on, but somewhere over here in page 12+ I think there's a guy giving first hand two-people-liveaboard reviews and saying it's pretty legit.

composting toilet report - SailNet Community

I was on the fence until I read that review. Apparently it's good for "80 uses" before you need to dump it out, which for my wife and I is what.. 1 1/2 - 2 months? He was saying it was about two months for him too.

This site was pretty good too:

Composting Toilet

In short, I think I'm ready to have the problems of a composting toilet rather than the wet systems. I'm tired of changing out hoses every couple of years. I'm tired of the smell. I'm tired about worrying about a holding tank cracking. I'm tired of worrying about my daughter throwing anything other than waste or spartan quantities of "proper" toilet paper overboard.

As long as it's not a five gallon tub of wet **** I'm pretty sure whatever I have to do every 45-60 days is nothing compared to the knuckle busting wet system maintenance.

rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:33   #17

Boat: On the hard for now - 2 dinghies
Rebel Heart,

Excellent bit of info.

My wife and I have been interested in composting toilets for years. We live in VT and they've been around on land since the 1980's in homes and camp grounds. We also have friends who have an Air Head and love it. However, they live aboard at a marina.

We spent the last 4 years aboard our sailboat and had talked to the owner of Air Head about one for our application. We seldom used marinas so didn't use a land head often and tended to the visit more remote areas. Sadly, we came away thinking it wasn't the right answer for us.

My only suggestion is to talk to the people at Air Head directly and give them a full accounting of your current and future cruising plans/applications. Then go with their recommendations. Our feeling was that if they didn't think the system was right for you they wouldn't try to sell you one.

Watercolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:04   #18
Marine Service Provider

What I don't understand about these units is why no spare compositing bin. Everyone seems to have a spare urine bottle, think they may even come with one, but that's the easy part. Easy to dump that overboard. Not to mention just peeing overboard when no one is we don't all do that. But it's when that compositing bin fills, that you're in deep ****...pun intended.

Guess you could always convert the old holding tank into an extra compositing bin. But there is still the question of where to dump it, when you're a full time live aboard and out cruising?
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:05   #19

Boat: Camano Troll
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
I took the easy way out that I believe satisfies all requirements except those mentioned by others regarding the great lakes.

My macerator is powered via a circuit breaker but in series with the breaker I have a key switch. The key is kept in a safe place so there is no way to energize the macerator without my knowledge.

This much for sure, a key switch for the electrical power is far easier to lock and unlock than a padlock on a mechanical valve located in the bowels of the boat.

That's what I have. The boat was built with a push button for the macerator. No valve to lock. I replaced it with a key switch. I don't leave the key in the switch.
Sent from my laptop using Windows 7
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:04   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Originally Posted by marshmat View Post
.......... I'd probably follow CaptainForce's setup pretty closely, possibly with the addition of a valve between the tank and tee (in case the macerator requires servicing).................
Marshmat, 'good point and wise observation. I must admit that, in order to sketch the system in 2-dimensions, I distorted the layout. The tube extracting waste from the tank comes out the top of the tank and the T and macerator are level with the top of the tank so the hose fitting at the macerator can be remove without distress. The top of the head is also above the waterline and the anti-siphon valve, not needed as the through hull valve is not left open, has it's joker valve plugged. Thanks for pointing out this need for me to clarify, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:58   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In regards to the two composting bins, the real "work" is in emptying the primary bin. If you want to put it in a second bin, go for it. If you want to dump in the trash, go for it. My plan is to toss on my disposable gloves and dump the mess into one of the clay-based bio bags. They break down within a week or two. On land it will go in the trash, at sea overboard.

The USCG isn't going to want anyone dumping compost in a no discharge zone, so really it's shoreside disposal in port and sea at sea.

It would be interesting to make a compost bin on a boat. that you could toss this stuff into, and other organic wastes. One step at a time, for me.

rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: