Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2015, 03:34   #76

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Do I need a holding tank? (legally speaking)

Nope ... human poo.... the sludge from the bottom of the settling ponds.

Last year up in the top end of NZ a truck load of human **** up on the highway ( made the TV news.... such is life in Unzud)... they said it was going to 'landfill'.... bollocks.. it was off to be spread on some of McCain's finest...

Back on track... globally a shitload of raw sewage goes into the sea every day... boat people are just a soft target is all.
Old 13-06-2015, 03:39   #77

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Nope ... human poo.... the sludge from the bottom of the settling ponds.

Last year up in the top end of NZ a truck load of human **** up on the highway ( made the TV news.... such is life in Unzud)... they said it was going to 'landfill'.... bollocks.. it was off to be spread on some of McCain's finest...

Back on track... globally a shitload of raw sewage goes into the sea every day... boat people are just a soft target is all.
I think you been listening to 'myths'

Dynamic Lifter Standard Pellets - Yates products
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 03:46   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I think you been listening to 'myths'

Dynamic Lifter Standard Pellets - Yates products
Well they would say that wouldn't they...

Before they started dumping it at sea 'doon the watter' Glasgow Corporation used to dry and bag all the glaswegian turds and send the result down to England where it was sold as 'Atlas Fertilizer'
Old 13-06-2015, 04:09   #79

Biosolids .. Australian and New Zealand Biosolids Partnership - Questions & Answers (FAQ) about biosolids in Australia and New Zealand

Bloke died in WA last year after incorrectly handling some in a domestic environment.

Try re-constituting some Dynamic Lifter by wetting it and letting it sit for a few days.... doesn't smell like any chickenshit I've ever dealt with....
Old 13-06-2015, 04:22   #80

Boat: Valiant 42

A candidate for the greatest thread ever ... then again, maybe not.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 04:32   #81

Boat: Rafiki 37

The most significant thing we've done to extend and improve human life is to build sanitary systems. Human feces IS special to us b/c it carries pathogens and parasites that likes humans as hosts. This is why disease spreads so rapidly when sanitary systems are damaged, such as after natural disasters.

The solution to pollution is dilution. Absolutely. One hiker shits behind the tree; no problem. One hundred hikers take a dump in the same spot in short succession; big problem. Any environment can accommodate a certain level of pollution with no problem. But at some point you hit limits.

For cruisers it means if you're hooked in a small protected anchorage with little flow, especially if it is a popular anchorage, then dumping your crap into the water is probably a bad idea. Off shore, in areas of good flow, or one where few people go; no problem.

Why is this so hard?
Old 13-06-2015, 04:47   #82

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Biosolids .. Australian and New Zealand Biosolids Partnership - Questions & Answers (FAQ) about biosolids in Australia and New Zealand

Bloke died in WA last year after incorrectly handling some in a domestic environment.

Try re-constituting some Dynamic Lifter by wetting it and letting it sit for a few days.... doesn't smell like any chickenshit I've ever dealt with....
Did you notice they make jewellery out of it

Like, "lovely ear rings you have madam", "well thank you, there just some old ****" that's just wrong.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 06:45   #83

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The OP didn't ask for an American eco-nut lecture, besides.... Animals and fish have been poopin' in the ocean for billions of years without causing any adverse effects. Plankton and small critters love the stuff, it's what they consider food. Part of the circle of life. Read a science book sometime.
spoken like a true educated idjit. Education does mention "awareness of the surroundings" but most people only look at the 'texts" to pass the test and get the title. common sense isn't taught in schools. it's learned through awareness of ones surroundings and their interactions with it.

I've learned that not all people are conscious and/or openminded. closed-mindedness is something "we" all suffer from in many areas of our lives. But we can all back up and take another look.
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 09:58   #84

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The OP didn't ask for an American eco-nut lecture, besides.... Animals and fish have been poopin' in the ocean for billions of years without causing any adverse effects. Plankton and small critters love the stuff, it's what they consider food. Part of the circle of life. Read a science book sometime.
True the OP asked for no lectures, but it turns out he had bad info about the cost of solving his problem effectively... like I built my urine separating composting/desiccating toilet for a couple hundred $US... or the OP can have my old holding tank and some hose for nothing except shipping. Those are two solutions better than pumping sewage overboard. Third option he could post a wanted "used" ad in 35 degrees or a local bulletin board.

If we always got yes/no answers from the forum these threads would be a lot shorter. I come here to learn from others, and sometimes there is a price to pay for that experience
Old 13-06-2015, 10:16   #85

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Cholera?
Old 14-06-2015, 01:13   #86

Boat: Island Packet 40

I have always had the odd moral qualm about dumping untreated sewage from my head (and still do) so tend to only do it when I am out at sea and use shore facilities as much as possible (with the wild life where I cruise I am doing people a favor if I can dissuade them from swimming anyway)

There are a couple of devices available which hold and treat sewage but as they appear to sanitize it by adding chlorine I wonder if we are doing more harm by putting this into the environment (I am careful with my use of bleach for this reason)

I have noticed that when I anchor for a few days in spots where other boats anchor that catfish appear to take up residence under my boat and presume they are there to exploit my discharges (one creatures **** in this case is another's living)

Ethically I am now torn between the harm I do in discharging versus depriving another creature of their living.

Advice please?
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 01:27   #87
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I have always had the odd moral qualm about dumping untreated sewage from my head (and still do) so tend to only do it when I am out at sea and use shore facilities as much as possible (with the wild life where I cruise I am doing people a favor if I can dissuade them from swimming anyway)

There are a couple of devices available which hold and treat sewage but as they appear to sanitize it by adding chlorine I wonder if we are doing more harm by putting this into the environment (I am careful with my use of bleach for this reason)

I have noticed that when I anchor for a few days in spots where other boats anchor that catfish appear to take up residence under my boat and presume they are there to exploit my discharges (one creatures **** in this case is another's living)

Ethically I am now torn between the harm I do in discharging versus depriving another creature of their living.

Advice please?
Err... remind me of the harm again (in your particular circumstances).
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 01:27   #88

I thought we were all in the poo it's just the level/depth that changes.

Maybe that just applies to the married ones amongst us.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Captain Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 01:40   #89
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post

Advice please?
Raymond,

Just flush and forget, the marine environment not only needs, but requires the organic nutrients. Much of the ocean is a desert, without much life because of the lack of organic nutrients. No nutrients... equals no plankton... No crill.... no whales... Very little life. The ocean needs the waste of other creatures for life to thrive. Just like a land based farm, no fertilizer... no plants... Equals No food.

Most avid environmentalists just can't seem to wrap their minds around this fact, they really need to get out an experience what it's like to be part of the cycle. I'm not talking about dumping plastic overboard. I'm referring to the stuff the fishies and micro organisms that are waiting under our boat to anxiously receive.

If all the whales, marine mammals, fish all stopped crapping in the water... all marine life would perish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	103715  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 01:53   #90

Yes I just blame it on the dugongs if anyone notices mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Captain Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holding tank, legal