Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2015, 04:34   #76
Registered User
 
El Pinguino's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Punta Arenas ahorra
Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord
Posts: 3,959
Re: Do I need a holding tank? (legally speaking)

Nope ... human poo.... the sludge from the bottom of the settling ponds.

Last year up in the top end of NZ a truck load of human **** up on the highway ( made the TV news.... such is life in Unzud)... they said it was going to 'landfill'.... bollocks.. it was off to be spread on some of McCain's finest...

Back on track... globally a shitload of raw sewage goes into the sea every day... boat people are just a soft target is all.
__________________

El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 04:39   #77
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Do I need a holding tank? (legally speaking)

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Nope ... human poo.... the sludge from the bottom of the settling ponds.

Last year up in the top end of NZ a truck load of human **** up on the highway ( made the TV news.... such is life in Unzud)... they said it was going to 'landfill'.... bollocks.. it was off to be spread on some of McCain's finest...

Back on track... globally a shitload of raw sewage goes into the sea every day... boat people are just a soft target is all.
I think you been listening to 'myths'

Dynamic Lifter Standard Pellets - Yates products
__________________

__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 04:46   #78
Registered User
 
El Pinguino's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Punta Arenas ahorra
Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord
Posts: 3,959
Re: Do I need a holding tank? (legally speaking)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I think you been listening to 'myths'

Dynamic Lifter Standard Pellets - Yates products
Well they would say that wouldn't they...

Before they started dumping it at sea 'doon the watter' Glasgow Corporation used to dry and bag all the glaswegian turds and send the result down to England where it was sold as 'Atlas Fertilizer'
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 05:09   #79
Registered User
 
El Pinguino's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Punta Arenas ahorra
Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord
Posts: 3,959
Re: Do I need a holding tank? (legally speaking)

Biosolids .. Australian and New Zealand Biosolids Partnership - Questions & Answers (FAQ) about biosolids in Australia and New Zealand

Bloke died in WA last year after incorrectly handling some in a domestic environment.

Try re-constituting some Dynamic Lifter by wetting it and letting it sit for a few days.... doesn't smell like any chickenshit I've ever dealt with....
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 05:22   #80
Registered User
 
transmitterdan's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Boat: Valiant 42
Posts: 4,028
Re: Do I need a holding tank? (legally speaking)

A candidate for the greatest thread ever ... then again, maybe not.
__________________
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 05:32   #81
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 4,036
Re: Do I need a holding tank? (legally speaking)

The most significant thing we've done to extend and improve human life is to build sanitary systems. Human feces IS special to us b/c it carries pathogens and parasites that likes humans as hosts. This is why disease spreads so rapidly when sanitary systems are damaged, such as after natural disasters.

The solution to pollution is dilution. Absolutely. One hiker shits behind the tree; no problem. One hundred hikers take a dump in the same spot in short succession; big problem. Any environment can accommodate a certain level of pollution with no problem. But at some point you hit limits.

For cruisers it means if you're hooked in a small protected anchorage with little flow, especially if it is a popular anchorage, then dumping your crap into the water is probably a bad idea. Off shore, in areas of good flow, or one where few people go; no problem.

Why is this so hard?
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 05:47   #82
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Do I need a holding tank? (legally speaking)

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Biosolids .. Australian and New Zealand Biosolids Partnership - Questions & Answers (FAQ) about biosolids in Australia and New Zealand

Bloke died in WA last year after incorrectly handling some in a domestic environment.

Try re-constituting some Dynamic Lifter by wetting it and letting it sit for a few days.... doesn't smell like any chickenshit I've ever dealt with....
Did you notice they make jewellery out of it

Like, "lovely ear rings you have madam", "well thank you, there just some old ****" that's just wrong.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 07:45   #83
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: West Coast FLA
Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch
Posts: 451
Re: Do I need a holding tank? (legally speaking)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The OP didn't ask for an American eco-nut lecture, besides.... Animals and fish have been poopin' in the ocean for billions of years without causing any adverse effects. Plankton and small critters love the stuff, it's what they consider food. Part of the circle of life. Read a science book sometime.
spoken like a true educated idjit. Education does mention "awareness of the surroundings" but most people only look at the 'texts" to pass the test and get the title. common sense isn't taught in schools. it's learned through awareness of ones surroundings and their interactions with it.

I've learned that not all people are conscious and/or openminded. closed-mindedness is something "we" all suffer from in many areas of our lives. But we can all back up and take another look.
__________________
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 10:58   #84
Registered User
 
jkindredpdx's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Portland, OR, USA
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'
Posts: 1,047
Images: 5
Re: Do I need a holding tank? (legally speaking)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The OP didn't ask for an American eco-nut lecture, besides.... Animals and fish have been poopin' in the ocean for billions of years without causing any adverse effects. Plankton and small critters love the stuff, it's what they consider food. Part of the circle of life. Read a science book sometime.
True the OP asked for no lectures, but it turns out he had bad info about the cost of solving his problem effectively... like I built my urine separating composting/desiccating toilet for a couple hundred $US... or the OP can have my old holding tank and some hose for nothing except shipping. Those are two solutions better than pumping sewage overboard. Third option he could post a wanted "used" ad in 35 degrees or a local bulletin board.

If we always got yes/no answers from the forum these threads would be a lot shorter. I come here to learn from others, and sometimes there is a price to pay for that experience
__________________
http://www.sednahr35.blogspot.com/ Jim K.
jkindredpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 11:16   #85
Registered User
 
jkindredpdx's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Portland, OR, USA
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'
Posts: 1,047
Images: 5
Re: Do I need a holding tank? (legally speaking)

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Back on track... globally a shitload of raw sewage goes into the sea every day... boat people are just a soft target is all.
Cholera?
__________________
http://www.sednahr35.blogspot.com/ Jim K.
jkindredpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 02:13   #86
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Boat: Island Packet 40
Posts: 1,376
Images: 7
Re: Do I need a holding tank? (legally speaking)

I have always had the odd moral qualm about dumping untreated sewage from my head (and still do) so tend to only do it when I am out at sea and use shore facilities as much as possible (with the wild life where I cruise I am doing people a favor if I can dissuade them from swimming anyway)

There are a couple of devices available which hold and treat sewage but as they appear to sanitize it by adding chlorine I wonder if we are doing more harm by putting this into the environment (I am careful with my use of bleach for this reason)

I have noticed that when I anchor for a few days in spots where other boats anchor that catfish appear to take up residence under my boat and presume they are there to exploit my discharges (one creatures **** in this case is another's living)

Ethically I am now torn between the harm I do in discharging versus depriving another creature of their living.

Advice please?
__________________
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 02:27   #87
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Posts: 7,334
Re: Do I need a holding tank? (legally speaking)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I have always had the odd moral qualm about dumping untreated sewage from my head (and still do) so tend to only do it when I am out at sea and use shore facilities as much as possible (with the wild life where I cruise I am doing people a favor if I can dissuade them from swimming anyway)

There are a couple of devices available which hold and treat sewage but as they appear to sanitize it by adding chlorine I wonder if we are doing more harm by putting this into the environment (I am careful with my use of bleach for this reason)

I have noticed that when I anchor for a few days in spots where other boats anchor that catfish appear to take up residence under my boat and presume they are there to exploit my discharges (one creatures **** in this case is another's living)

Ethically I am now torn between the harm I do in discharging versus depriving another creature of their living.

Advice please?
Err... remind me of the harm again (in your particular circumstances).
__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 02:27   #88
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Yeppoon, QLD, Australia
Posts: 37
Re: Do I need a holding tank? (legally speaking)

I thought we were all in the poo it's just the level/depth that changes.


Maybe that just applies to the married ones amongst us.


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
Captain Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 02:40   #89
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,515
Re: Do I need a holding tank? (legally speaking)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I have noticed that when I anchor for a few days in spots where other boats anchor that catfish appear to take up residence under my boat and presume they are there to exploit my discharges (one creatures **** in this case is another's living)

Ethically I am now torn between the harm I do in discharging versus depriving another creature of their living.

Advice please?
Raymond,

Just flush and forget, the marine environment not only needs, but requires the organic nutrients. Much of the ocean is a desert, without much life because of the lack of organic nutrients. No nutrients... equals no plankton... No crill.... no whales... Very little life. The ocean needs the waste of other creatures for life to thrive. Just like a land based farm, no fertilizer... no plants... Equals No food.

Most avid environmentalists just can't seem to wrap their minds around this fact, they really need to get out an experience what it's like to be part of the cycle. I'm not talking about dumping plastic overboard. I'm referring to the stuff the fishies and micro organisms that are waiting under our boat to anxiously receive.

If all the whales, marine mammals, fish all stopped crapping in the water... all marine life would perish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	103715  
__________________
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 02:53   #90
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Yeppoon, QLD, Australia
Posts: 37
Re: Do I need a holding tank? (legally speaking)

Yes I just blame it on the dugongs if anyone notices mine.


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________

__________________
Captain Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
holding tank, legal

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Convert Fresh Water Tank to Holding Tank - Stainless myocean Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 5 17-01-2013 09:05
Installing Tank Watch Monitor in new holding tank SV Demeter Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 2 27-08-2012 09:47
Holding Tank Holding Tank Leaff Construction, Maintenance & Refit 17 01-07-2012 06:12
Converting a Water Tank to a Holding Tank royelshort Powered Boats 0 16-11-2011 17:06
Converting a Water Tank to a Holding Tank Ray Tarr Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 3 21-02-2010 18:39



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:41.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.