Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2015, 16:15   #1
Marine Service Provider

Do any of you know how to cobble up a DIY...

... "stove timer" controller for a LectraSan? A guy on sbo.com is asking where to get one, I suggested he upgrade to a L/S that's a bit younger than 35, but he doesn't want to do that. I recall seeing a post somewhere a few years back from someone who's done it, but I can't begin to remember where or even exactly how long ago.

Thanks!
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 16:50   #2

Boat: center console
Re: Do any of you know how to cobble up a DIY...

Rotary with Wall Plate

By using this website, you agree to our Terms and Conditions
Home|Help|Returns|Careers|Settings

How about one of these, from McMaster.com, mounted in a plastic electrical box? Look under timers.
Cheers
Larry
1affiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2015, 20:06   #3
Marine Service Provider

Thanks for the suggestion, but that controller is more than just a timer. Here's how it worked: The user flushed the toilet, then started the treatment cycle by turning the dial to the start position, which was (and still is in the current ElectroScan version) a 2.5 minute process. For the first 30 seconds, only the mixer and macerator runs...then a relay starts the treatment cycle by turning on the electrode pack which runs for two minutes then shuts everything off. It's a 12v gadget for which there is no existing substitute. Raritan discontinued it in favor the EC (electronic controller) version, finally stopped supporting it in the early 90s.

Frankly, I'm surprised there are ANY left that still work...or maybe he just bought the boat with a geriatric LectraSan that came with a non-working controller. The only person at Raritan who knew how to repair the old dial controller or cobble up a replacement retired several years ago, so unless somebody who's done it or can figure out how to reverse engineer one turns up, he's gonna have to come up with a different plan. I don't know whether it's possible to retrofit an MC (microprocessor controller that was the successor to the EC version) controller to a treatment device that old, but that MIGHT be one option. I've suggested that he call Raritan to check that out.

Meanwhile I'm having fun doing a little work again, at least for a little while.
Old 28-06-2015, 20:51   #4
Marine Service Provider

Someone on the cruisingsailors.com board came up the solution: Holt Marine Systems has a replacement timer kit. It's not cheap though...so all other suggestions will still be welcome.

HoltMarine Systems - Timer Switch Kit
Old 28-06-2015, 21:26   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

A quick search on ebay comes up with a dual relay timer for $14.

12V DC 2 Channel Multifunction Self Lock Relay PLC Cycle Timer Time Delay Switch | eBay

Add a box for the board with a single pole momentary contact switch with a 0.1farad debounce capacitor and it should be good to go. Program function 18 looks like it would work.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 09:03   #6

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post

12V DC 2 Channel Multifunction Self Lock Relay PLC Cycle Timer Time Delay Switch | eBay

Add a box for the board with a single pole momentary contact switch with a 0.1farad debounce capacitor and it should be good to go. Program function 18 looks like it would work.
sailorchic, you crack me up! ya make altering a board sound equivalent to changing a lightbulb... I was thinking Raspberry pi and arduino which would cost over $50
Old 29-06-2015, 09:20   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
sailorchic, you crack me up! ya make altering a board sound equivalent to changing a lightbulb... I was thinking Raspberry pi and arduino which would cost over $50

It oddly is much like changing a light bulb. There is 4 terminals at the bottom for +, - and two inputs (switches). So add a pushbutton and the little Chinese relay board will do all sorts of timing thingy's with the built in program functions. Pi and arduino's would work too but a bit overkill. I like the new Pi, very nice.

For those that would roll their own. a few 555 timers, a hand full of PNP and mosfet's, you could make one from parts and a prototype board for $10 ish. Pretty easy.

But then everyone read's electrical and electronics tutorials all the time, right. I might be a little strange... Really I'm just a normal engineer that sails and has cat.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 09:26   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
I'll pass this on to him...I have no idea what his electrical skills are, but the price does beat the sox off the Holt Systems price of $145. If he doesn't have the skill to do it, I'll bet he can find someone who does for a lot less than that!

Otoh, if the number of people who can't even be bothered to do their own google search before posting "does anyone have a source for (something readily available from at least a dozen sources)" is any indication, maybe not.

Thanks all!
Old 29-06-2015, 14:14   #9

Boat: Seafarer36c

I don't think it matters very much if you run both motors at the same time, it might even be better. Just wire both motors and the treatment plate solinoids together then use the wall timer as shown. Put a sheet metal screw into the plate to keep the knob from going past 2.5 or 3 min.
Maybe it's the crap from our boat but the macerator system in an electrasan is not very effective with the auto timer system, running both mixers at the same time and the plate for a longer time could be a better deal, more chlorine and smaller parts right?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote