Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2013, 13:32   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: DIY replace dead AB compressor unit?

Shantycrew, I have reviewed the pictures and recommend the following:

STEP 1.
The circuit board inside stainless box will no longer be needed. I am assuming the refrigerant lines are still intact?

Disconnect all small spade wires from Danfoss control module and connect the white three pin connecter to compressor. Connect a fully charged battery with correct polarity to Danfoss module’s Large + terminal and Large negative – terminal at top of module. It is very important the polarity is correct and you do not use any of the boats wiring for these jumper wires.

Now with module connected to compressor and power direct from a fully charged battery place a short wire jumper from module terminal C to T. There are No other wires to be connected to module. Compressor should now run if module is good. Because these compressors are so quite you may not hear it run. If compressor does run let it run for 15 minutes to see if there is some cooling in evaporator. Because the cooling fan is not connected limit run time to less than 20 minutes or find some other fan any thing will do that moves air over condenser coil. If compressor does not run you can be sure the module is bad and a replacement is needed.

STEP 2 will depend on first getting compressor to run and producing refrigerant flow to be active.

STEP 3 will be to rewire system without the AB non marine, not required circuit board.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:30   #17

Boat: Hardin Sea Wolf 41ft

Ok richard, Thanks for that, Sounds like a good way to prove the unit so I'll have a go and tell you what transpires
Old 06-01-2014, 14:58   #18

Hi Richard, thanks I followed your advice to see if we could get any action out of the old SC machine, but to on avail, looks like a dead compressor but worth a try. Now we need to look for a replacement.
But at least we tried.
Old 06-01-2014, 15:37   #19
Marine Service Provider

Out of maybe 1000 BD compressors in 25 years I have found 2 faulty compressors while I trashed way more than 200 modules. You need to try another module before spending money on a new unit.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:59   #20

Now that's interesting, Richard. This is how I went about your fix, and maybe I did something wrong. I disconnected all the wires from the board, I think about eight. The little three pin plug was still connected to circuit board. I looked at a schematic that I had of the unit and found the terminals C&T which seemed to bypass the stat, and made up a jumper lead. I then connected up to the positive and negative tabs a wire that came from the old fridge feed that showed a DC voltage of just under 12 volts, about 11.8, I think. Now I know you said to not use any of the boats wiring, but I didn't have a battery that I could easily use so thought this would do, is this where I went wrong? Also the tab that the positive wire goes to has suffered from corrosion, or a bad arcing connection that has burned it out and left very little of it to connect to so I connected to it with a small crocodile clip crimped to the end of the positive wire, I am trying, and like you would love not to throw away a whole unit just because a bit of it has broken down.
The thing is if I'm not hearing any running noise, even with a screwdriver on it and pressed to my ear, and no apparent cooling going on, so should I spend money on a new module, which I suppose is the electronic bits that used to be in the steel housing, only to find that it really is broken beyond repair.

Thanks for any other advice you could give me, I really don't want to spend almost a thousand dollars if I don't have to.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:45   #21
Marine Service Provider

After 25 years of troubleshooting Danfoss BD compressors I have developed step by step procedures to eliminate causes that confuse the control modules microprocessor that generally result in a service technician giving up. It is a fact that Adler Barbour’s add on circuit board in their CU100 and CU200 units have problems. See Tech Tip #1 on my web site.

The test I gave you was to eliminate all trouble areas involved with compressor failure to run. If compressor could be made to run then was there adequate refrigerant in system. It sounds like you bypassed the electrical on unit but not boats wiring. 11.8 volts is basically a dead battery with aged wiring as for as control module is concerned. I have had cases where a new system was purchased and new system would not run this is why it is necessary to by pass all boats wiring, fuses, breakers and branch busses.

If you complete the program I gave you another module will get compressor to run. Then if there is no cooling with compressor running it is time to think about replacing complete system as chances are evaporator assembly has developed leaks.
Old 10-01-2014, 14:06   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

That was a great step by step trouble shooting instruction. Will save that in my refer manual for future reference, just in case.

And yes 11.8V could be the problem. I was showing 12.5-12.6 at my controller with old, small gauge wiring and was having intermittent problems. Per your recommendation put in a new 10 gauge wire, new crimps, straight to the DC panel and all was good.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 14:43   #23

Found a guy in Salinas Puerta Rico, where we are who came out to the boat Thursday who was a refridge repair man. He said that the compressor is fine. He says he can make a repair that bypasses the electronics of the AB and get it going again. He also said that it was down on coolant fluid. He said it would be easier to fix if I could get it off the boat so yesterday I struggled in a tight hole to undo the pipework. Very tight, very sweaty work but eventually managed to get the unit out after about 2 hours without any damage. He's going to do a fix and recharge the evaporant when it goes back in, so fingers crossed. I checked out your page Richard, very comprehensive stuff, but maybe beyond my skills at this moment in time, but will file for future use. In the meantime I'll post again when Curly has done his fix and tell you what occurs. Oh and I'll redo that wiring with 10 gauge just to be on the safe side, and get that battery up to speed.
Old 11-01-2014, 16:49   #24
Marine Service Provider

Well, sounds fishy to me no one could tell that it was low on refrigerant if compressor would not run. You underestimate you ability to find and fix what may have been a simple problem. What he told you is there is two problems with your system it has a refrigerant leak and an electrical problem. I will not give him a 10% chance of getting your system’s problem solved as he can not run compressor or find the leak and repair it without your evaporator.
Old 11-01-2014, 19:05   #25
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

I have to agree with Richard....I see problems coming that I sure hope won't cost you more money and time at the end of the day.

We will keep our fingers crossed for you....
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:05   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
I have to agree with Richard....I see problems coming that I sure hope won't cost you more money and time at the end of the day.

We will keep our fingers crossed for you....
The repair guy asking to have the compressor removed does worry me also. Really too bad the OP didn't at least run a good wire to the compressor to test a low voltage problem before pulling the unit.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:42   #27

OK guys, I take your point, will tread lightly with this. Still have the machine, although now I have your apprehensive comments I will be very wary, will ask how he expects to fix it without being connected to the evaporator.

Tags
compressor