Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2019, 00:59   #1

Diesel Heater Issue

Hi, first I will say yes! this is a cheap Ebay Diesel heater, it didn't cost much, worked for a while and has now stopped. But I would like to fix it if I can. I'm just that kind of person, a stubborn tinkerer

So it got sooted up from running on minimum but now we have cleaned it out but it still doesn't run

It fires up while the glow plug is running but then dies, the roar goes away and I can see misted fuel out the exhaust. (note exhaust is very short 40cm/15 inches approx.)

So my question is, if the fuel is being supplied (mist out exhaust), it starts (glow plug working because it roars in the beginning, unevenly) combustion intake clear (tested by blowing through), why is it going out?

Open to any ideas taking it apart again tomorrow.
Warby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2019, 04:21   #2

Boat: Island Packet 370
Re: Diesel Heater Issue

Have you checked for things like blocked exhaust and thermostat?
njoynthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2019, 04:55   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

You don't put a time scale on this event, but somehow it ceases getting air, or more likely, used up the little bit of air it had to begin with. Mist out the exhaust and your blowing it out eliminates that side, so look on the intake side. Bird's nest? damper closed?

Is this a concentric pipes in/out arrangement?
Old 20-09-2019, 08:40   #4

A bit of a maybe here... some of those heaters have a flame detect sensor that takes over command after the unit has completed its start up process. They are optical based and if the viewing window is sooted over blocking the view of the flame they will shut off the fuel pump.
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2019, 08:41   #5

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

What is the voltage supply AT THE GLOW PLUG during startup?

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2019, 08:58   #6

It may have sensors that are stopping ignition. ?
I know it's easy to use the on board diesel for these furnaces, but if you use kerosene many many problems go away and it burns real clean.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2019, 09:14   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Yes, sounds more like a safety inhibit function.

Do you have this in an ammeter? If so run the start up cycle while watching the ammeter. VERY roughly should run 2-3 amps for a few minutes while it is coming on line, then at some point you should see it kick up to something like 8-10 amps, that would be the glow plug firing, once it lights the current will drop back down.

If you are not seeing the glow plug current increase then it’s not working. If you are and it’s not firing then it’s likely some safety inhibit signal.

I don’t suppose you have a manual with any trouble shooting?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2019, 19:21   #8

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it.

So I took it apart again. It had sooted again from just my starting efforts. Cleaned and checked everything visually. It only has a temp sensor by the way. I fired it up and it roared a little bit (proof of burning) and then stopped, maybe 10 seconds. It kept pumping fuel so I hit the off button which runs through a shutdown period 9fan still blows). As soon as I hit the off button it fired up again a bit for a few seconds.

I asked my wife to watch the ammeter for the boat and it seemed to draw 8 amps but hard to tell with the solar panels fluctuating.

So it fires up (10 seconds) dies and fires up briefly when turned onto off cycle. I think it a voltage issue.But I've had enough of the silly thing for now and going to put aside, summer is coming

Thanks for all of your help!
Old 20-09-2019, 21:48   #9

It's gotta be voltage at the glow plug, I will check again, can't help myself!
Old 21-09-2019, 00:01   #10

Boat: Riva 48

The roaring is usually caused by insufficient air (check in flow). The premature flame out is usually caused by improper fuel pickup where the pump needs to work too hard. These heaters try to start twice before giving up, so let it try to sort itself out before killing power.

In my case, I changed the flow plug, rerouted the fuel pickup (now it takes fuel from the Racor filter) and it has worked flawlessly the last couple of months.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2019, 00:04   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I've repaired a number of diesel fired boilers and similar devices. A common problem is a piece of dirt deflecting the nozzle spray. Often it starts but goes out because the nozzle isn't making a correct fan spray pattern. Sometimes they will start and go out several times before the igniter times out. If it's a standard oil nozzle, I'd change it. I rarely have had success in cleaning a nozzle. The mist may be from fuel in a now hot combustion chamber evaporating and being blown out the exhaust.
Using a 2 micron fuel filter solved the problem for most people.

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2019, 09:44   #12

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warby12 View Post
It's gotta be voltage at the glow plug, I will check again, can't help myself!
Make sure to connect both of your meter leads at the glow plug itself to check for ground resistances on the way to the unit.

Lepke has a good point as well about the spray nozzle.

I managed to buy the last remaining Ardic heater spray nozzle in existence about 18 years ago. Knock on wood, it's still working, and I even kept the old one in case I figured out how to repair it somehow.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2019, 11:49   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warby12 View Post
Hi, first I will say yes! this is a cheap Ebay Diesel heater, it didn't cost much, worked for a while and has now stopped. But I would like to fix it if I can. I'm just that kind of person, a stubborn tinkerer

So it got sooted up from running on minimum but now we have cleaned it out but it still doesn't run

It fires up while the glow plug is running but then dies, the roar goes away and I can see misted fuel out the exhaust. (note exhaust is very short 40cm/15 inches approx.)

So my question is, if the fuel is being supplied (mist out exhaust), it starts (glow plug working because it roars in the beginning, unevenly) combustion intake clear (tested by blowing through), why is it going out?

Open to any ideas taking it apart again tomorrow.
considering everything else in the thread I say it is the flame sensor being sooted up
Clean it and you should have good operation .

On many models and makes the glow plug doubles as the flame sensor .

After this for future reference and for everyone running an air heater ( regardless of manufacturer) run the unit on full blast for at least 30 minutes for every 2 weeks or so of operation to burn out the built up carbon soot that will cause flame out issues .

This link will download the manual for the 5kw version but its applicable to many different models.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...B15zKMMZBLPAvm
Old 12-12-2019, 12:08   #14

Boat: Morgan, OutIsland, 41

This may be a stupid suggestion but is your fuel pump mounted horizontally or vertically? If it is vertical it may be that air bubbles are forming in the fuel line.

Try running the fuel pump vertically.

Just a thought.

Thorne
Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:21   #15

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

You mentioned that you've cleaned it due to sooting. Did you take it apart fully and clean the whole unit, including the little screen that sits around the glow plug? Ignition issues can also arise from that screen getting sooted up. There's a great 12 part series on youtube that goes all the way through these heaters.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, heater