Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2014, 17:13   #1

Boat: 38' Pearson Invicta
Dickerson Newport Diesel Heater Fuel Connections

We are installing the above mentioned cabin heater and have two questions about the fuel connections. First is the overflow line. Do we need to run this line back to our main fuel tank where our fuel feed is coming from? In the manual it states that under normal operation it will just drain a few drops of fuel when heeling. If more comes out there is a problem with fuel feed manifold. If so could we use a collection cup instead of running a line all the way back to the tank?
Second is that the feed line is 3/8" flare fitting and manual suggests solid copper line before connecting to hose. Can we assume the tube and then hose size will also be 3/8"?
Appreciate any help here. Starting a cruise south next week and wife says she needs a heater before we leave!
Thanks Brian
Noreastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 18:33   #2

Re: Dickerson Newport Diesel Heater Fuel Connections

I have a Chesapeake version and was advised to run the overflow line to an empty plastic pint milk jug with an opening in the lid just enough to put the line in. The main reason being that the amount should always be insignificant and does not warrant the extra complexity of running that line to the tank with possibility of rapturing somewhere or just getting bacteria in that line as it may not be flushed too often with fresh fuel.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 18:15   #3

Boat: 38' Pearson Invicta

Island Time, thanks. If we us 1/4 " id hose from tank to the 3/8 " copper tubing will it be large enough for the supple feed?
Noreastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 19:28   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreastern View Post
Island Time, thanks. If we us 1/4 " id hose from tank to the 3/8 " copper tubing will it be large enough for the supple feed?
Not sure. But it's I think it's not the hose diameter but the needle size and angle in the metering valve that controls the amount of fuel going in. After taking mine apart I figured out that the only difference between the models is the needle and the float in the oil metering valve which makes for a different BTU output. Otherwise they're pretty much the same.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 08:45   #5

we have a 'dickenson' [sp] cooking stove, and have a container under the stove for the overflow, using a 1/4" rubber hose. hope you have the propper fuel pump that is an 'on demand' so it only works when the stove needs fuel, with the correct pressure, ie, up to abt 2Lbs! any questions, just call them in vancouver, bc...clyde
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 09:06   #6

Boat: C&C Newport 41

as noted, use 'drip cup'

once after forgetting to re-install it before pushing back, i tied a balloon on the end of the end of the overflow.

while you might be able to get away with 1/4", i have never used anything but 3/8"

-s
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 16:43   #7

Boat: Cal 46-3, 46' ketch

Boat diesel heaters use very small amount of diesel fuel per hour. Almost any size fuel line is more than capable of supplying enough fuel to the unit. While my diesel heater is a different brand and 16,000 btu capacity it's factory fuel line is only about the size of a ballpoint pen refill. Never had any issues and a lot easier to bleed. I don't recommend going THAT small only because the fittings and that small hose is hard to find... if not provided in the manufacturer's kit.
W3GAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 19:40   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

1/4" line stands a much greater chance of plugging than a 3/8" line.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 00:09   #9

Boat: Sutter England Carter 1 ton,37 ft

I used a small plastic coke bottle with a small hole that I made in the cap to push the plastic overflow line into, it's a tight fit ,after a year of use I only got about 6 drops in the bottle

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Cephious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 00:15   #10

Boat: Sutter England Carter 1 ton,37 ft

The most important thing with these heaters is to make sure that you install a small fuel filter on the line before the fuel control. I used a small filter from a local hardware store , lawnmower type. It is even better if your filter has a water trap , these heaters have a little float bowl and if any water gets in there you will have all sorts of issues..but the heaters are great, awesome

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Cephious1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel, newport