Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2011, 17:01   #16

Boat: Pearson 40
In order for the heat dissipation to be effective, the internal fan needs to run at least at the medium plus level. That means lots of noise.

We have a fan blowing the heat across the stack which helps, but the internal fan is much more effective. The $50 -$60 sticker price for the fan is about 4-5 times more than a similar unit with metal blades would cost.

It has to fit just right, though, so one does not have a choice really....

The heat that comes out the stack on deck is about 2-3 times the heat fanned back in the cabin with the fan on high....
silverp40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 10:09   #17

Boat: Sceptre 36
As promised:

Hi Rex,

We ran the propane unit all day yesterday and the fan was not effected. Most of the heat is coming from the top half of the heater. You can touch the bottom of the heater where the fan is installed so I don't think there should be any issue. I had it running for a good 8 hours and was still able to touch the fan without feeling any heat. The 3" boxer fans price is $19.99 plus shipping. Let me know.

Kind Regards,

Michelle Parry
Dickinson Marine/ Sig Marine
Dickinson Manufacturing
407-204 Cayer St. Coquitlam, BC
V3K 5B1 Canada
Tel: 604-525-6444 Ex. 302
Fax: 604-525-6417
dmfgpurch@telus.net
www.dickinsonmarine.com
www.sigmarine.com
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 17:15   #18

Fan for Dickinson Marine

Quote:

"The 3" boxer fans price is $19.99 plus shipping. Let me know."

Forget the naysayers, not everything gets more expensive every year - the fan for the Newport heater is an example that dropped by 68% in one year!!

Here is what is cost last year:

Note that shipping is also not cheap - unit weighs about 3 ounces and it ships in a roughly 4"X4" box.

A few years ago the hood/rain cover developed a few rust holes after 1 year of installation. The price quoted then was $141 but when I sent pictures they let me have the cover at cost - $75 plus the Big shipping. When asked whether the cover is 304 or 316 stainless, the reply was that if it were made from 316 they could not possibly sell it -it would be way too expensive to manufacture....whew.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Imported Photos 00181.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	398.9 KB
ID:	22813  
Old 14-01-2011, 17:51   #19

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind
I have a dickerson alaskan diesel heater that works great tied to the dock or at anchor. It works under sail too -most of the time- sometimes the wind gusts blow the damn thing out and smoke out (choke,choke) the salon - which is always exciting!
I've been sailing, fishing, delivering, living on boats for 45 years and I havent found the perfect stove yet. I havent tried a propane heater yet -cooking stove, of course but not propane heater.
How about condesation? Out side of blowing myself up, this is my main concern.
The nice thing about diesel is the dry heat they produce -along with the fumes. And you're not likely to blow up. I would prefer wood but it's too much of a hassel to keep it supplied and no one that I know of builds one out of stainless that is worth a damn (except me but I'm too lazy to do it)
Now, as far as fans go - I think I've got that one licked. I shelled out $40 for a fan called "oh, too cool!" West Marine had one on sale.
It's a foot sqaure, has a good base and a handle, runs on ac/dc/batteries/w -hi & lo settings. I have it hanging, laying flat in my sky light and it silently blows all the hot air back down tho the floor where it belongs. It runs so quiet that I forget to turn it off. Of course I can't hear worth a damn -Jimmy ear!
I'd sure like to hear more about propane heaters. I'm on a 48' boat with alot of room to heat up down below. Do they make one big enough to do any good?
I'm not too worried about blowing myself up - I figure if it was gonna happen, it would of long ago when I was young and stupid (as apposed to being senile and stupid?)
Have fun!
Adios Amigos!
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 19:29   #20

Here is a link for the Sig Marine/Dickinson units

Welcome to SigMarine.com - Products - Direct Vent Propane Fireplace

These might be a bit small for your size boat and the location, unless you can confine the heat in one area of the boat, for example salon. Also check the fuel usage to see if your tanks can accomodate it.

Ours keeps the salon at about 52 F when it's 27 F outside at a low setting with twin fans running. Runs at sea except in rough stuff when the backdraft wants to blow the flame out...

Cheers
Old 15-01-2011, 06:30   #21

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW
rex let us know when youve tried out the new fan i think the general consensus here is the dickinson propane unit is great with the exception of the noisy fan would love to find a good replacement that is quieter
michaelmrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 13:32   #22

Boat: Sceptre 36
Just finished installing the new fan. It appears to move as much air as the original. On low, it cannot be heard at all, on high it is barely audible, I thought I had screwed up the wiring and it was not running. Very happy.

A few notes for anyone who wants to try some options. The new fan came with new mounting screws and rubber washers (the original did not have rubber mounts). The old fan had enough dust on it to perhaps affect balance. It may be worth while to try putting in rubber washers in the existing mounts and clean the existing fan to improve balance. Otherwise, $20 plus shipping from Dickinson. I am very pleased with the $20 option and will now sleep soundly at negative temperatures without the annoying roar of the fan.
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 13:54   #23
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Rex:

Thanks for the post. I'll be doing the same.