Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2015, 00:49   #1

Boat: Outremer 55 Light
Dessalator D60 Watermaker

Hello,

I have just bought a 10yo sail boat with a Dessalator D60 watermaker.

I live on my boat and run the watermaker regularly. My only previous experience with watermakers was with Spectra on my previous boat and the operating/flushing instructions for the Dessalator seem to be very different.

I would really appreciate if Dessalator owners could clarify for me....

- how often and for how long should I run a fresh water flush on the D60?
(the previous owner said to flush for 1 min before and after every use but the manual (in French) seems to say to flush for 2 min before use and only once a week)

- what is the salinity criteria used by the D60 to determine Poor Quality and Good Quality product water?

- my D60 is currently making water with a salinity of around 470ppm....is that considered “normal” for a D60 or does it indicate that the membranes are well into their usable life?
(my Spectra made water with salinity around 280ppm with 5yo membranes)

- any info on price of new membranes for a D60?

I'd really appreciate any info as I need to understand my D60 better than I currently do.

Thanks in advance
Barrie
s/v Blue Note
Cruisin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 06:47   #2
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Dessalator D60 Watermaker

Hi Barrie. To flush the D60, while it's running, turn the pressure knob fully anticlockwise. It should flush itself for a minute then stop. We usually had around 300ppm with ours. You can try a cleaning product to freshen up the membrane. Check what desolator recommend.
Run it every 4 or 5 days to keep it fresh or pickle for longer periods. The dessolator pickling system is very easy with the pickling cartridge.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 07:01   #3

Re: Dessalator D60 Watermaker

No problem if you are around 500 ppm
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 17:50   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Hi Barrie. To flush the D60, while it's running, turn the pressure knob fully anticlockwise. It should flush itself for a minute then stop. We usually had around 300ppm with ours. You can try a cleaning product to freshen up the membrane. Check what desolator recommend.
Run it every 4 or 5 days to keep it fresh or pickle for longer periods. The dessolator pickling system is very easy with the pickling cartridge.
Thanks for your reply.
My D60 does not have an automatic flushing valve, just a manual change over valve so I have to start and stop the fresh water flush manually.

I have a couple more questions if you don't mind....

- With your automatic flushing system....does that mean you do a 1 minute fresh water flush after every use of the watermaker?

- While your automatic system is flushing, is the pump running or stopped?

Thanks again
Barrie
Old 23-05-2015, 17:53   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
No problem if you are around 500 ppm
Thanks....how high do you think the salinity can go before you need to do something about it?
Old 24-05-2015, 05:40   #6
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Barrie, the auto flush is when you turn the pressure gauge all the way anticlockwise. The pump continues for 1 minute and the salinity light cons on. Send me your email and I'll check if I have the English manual on my PC to send you
Old 24-05-2015, 06:19   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisin Cat View Post
Thanks....how high do you think the salinity can go before you need to do something about it?
If you are getting the proper volume of fresh water and your watermaker is around 500 ppm then you have no problems. The Government standards vary from place to place but I believe WHO standards are 1000 ppm so 500 ppm is very good fresh water and you could be well above that and still have good drinking water.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 00:03   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
If you are getting the proper volume of fresh water and your watermaker is around 500 ppm then you have no problems. The Government standards vary from place to place but I believe WHO standards are 1000 ppm so 500 ppm is very good fresh water and you could be well above that and still have good drinking water.
Thanks for the information
Old 25-05-2015, 00:16   #9

Quote:
Barrie, the auto flush is when you turn the pressure gauge all the way anticlockwise. The pump continues for 1 minute and the salinity light cons on. Send me your email and I'll check if I have the English manual on my PC to send you
I do not have an auto flush water flush function on my D60.
Whan I turn the pressure control knob all the way anticlockwise, the pump continues to run, the salinity light does not come on and there is no fresh water being taken from the fresh water tank even after 5 min.

With your auto fresh water flush, does it run after every use of the watermaker?

A copy of the manual in English would be very helpful...I'll send you my email address in a private message.

Thanks
Barrie
Old 25-05-2015, 07:49   #10
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

OK email sent with the manual
Old 26-05-2015, 19:54   #11

Boat: Mason 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisin Cat View Post
Hello,

- what is the salinity criteria used by the D60 to determine Poor Quality and Good Quality product water?

- my D60 is currently making water with a salinity of around 470ppm....is that considered “normal” for a D60 or does it indicate that the membranes are well into their usable life?...

Thanks in advance
Barrie
s/v Blue Note
Hi Barrie

I am using a 120v cat pump to produce drinking water. Before I got my el cheapo tester, my friend's tester gave 215 ppm. After he left, all my 3 tester $10 each, gave 420 ppm reading . Imagine, $10 to test the water from a $ 1,500 machine !

FWIW at 400 + ppm I can't taste any salt and I am still alive

Maybe these tester have to be calibrated.

Eric
ericoh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 00:54   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericoh88 View Post
Hi Barrie

I am using a 120v cat pump to produce drinking water. Before I got my el cheapo tester, my friend's tester gave 215 ppm. After he left, all my 3 tester $10 each, gave 420 ppm reading . Imagine, $10 to test the water from a $ 1,500 machine !

FWIW at 400 + ppm I can't taste any salt and I am still alive

Maybe these tester have to be calibrated.

Eric
Hi Eric,
215 to 420ppm is a big difference!
Yes testers should be calibrated but to do that you need a "calibration" fluid, actually several batches of calibration fluid at different salinities to do it properly. It is possible to make your own by calculating, weighing and mixing salt and water but not many people do. I checked my tester against a few other boats and they were all different but within about 20% of each other, which is a pretty big difference
Barrie
Old 13-10-2016, 02:43   #13

Boat: Fusion 40 catamaran

Quote:

Hello monte,
Sorry to be a pest mate but would it be possible to get the desolator D60 manual also emailed to me. I have the unit but no manual.
thanks very much in advance,
cheers
flatop
flatop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 05:58   #14

[QUOTE=flatop;2234202]Quote:

monte, thanks for your message. No need to send me the manual....the electronics malfunctioned mid ocean so I stripped it all out and rewired it for completely manual operation. It's much more reliable now!
Old 13-10-2016, 11:25   #15

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Hi guys, pardon me about the sad news but unfortunately Monte is no longer with us. Thus "Eternal member" on his profile. Take care.
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker