Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2018, 13:25   #1

Boat: Sceptre 36
Demand Water Heater

Is there a Demand Water Heater (propane) which is acceptable for marine use? Found a diesel one but cost prohibitive. I sure miss my old Paloma and hot morning showers.
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 10:38   #2

Boat: 1961 28' Grenfell Express Cabin Cruiser
Re: Demand Water Heater

I installed an on demand water heater in my Winnebago (propane) and I'm not thrilled with it. I suspect water pressure is the issue and I need to up the pressure to improve performance. You will read about cold spots with some and mine has that in spades. And the heat seems to come and go, either the water isn't hot enough, or I'm scalding my hand, and which point, it goes back to tepid.

When you find one that you feel is suitable, review, review, review it, before purchase.

I do have a home on demand water heater - natural gas - which I quite like

I'm trying to remember which brand I have but recall is evading me.
rsn48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 13:33   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Demand Water Heater

Well, Rex, I used to crew with the guy who was nearly killed by an early Hot Walter installation that later got a late of court and press time. He only survived because he'd been down in the luxurious hot shower for a suspiciously long time, and the skipper was an MD.

The real question is not just the certification, but the heater MUST be installed in such a way that no combustion products can get below. That can mean installing the heater on the outside of the cabin, or a sealed aft locker (like a propane locker) or...the electric ones make monoxide problems impossible. Not entirely a bad idea.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water