Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2016, 20:30   #1

Deckwash system

I still have a few questions relating to my salt water deck wash system:
1. I've bought a new 6.0 gpm deckwash system. The "installation manual" says the pump "is self priming" and can be located "2 or 3 feet" from the water source. Is that the maximum distance or is that the maximum vertical lift, or does it make any difference whether it's horizontal or vertical? What about height above water line? If its mounted below waterline, won't the line be primed anyways? If its mounted 3" above the waterline, but 10 feet from the thruhull, will the pump only have to lift the water 3", so it won't matter how far it is from the thru-hull?

2. The pump has some sort of proprietary snap fitting for the inlet and outlet hoses. Are these safe enought for mounting below the waterline or is that too risky?

3. If I want to be able to remove the hose from the deck fitting when not in use, do I need to have a check valve, or shut off valve, at the deck fitting, or in the hose, or not at all? The Jabsco deck fitting looks like its just an open valve and the check valve is in the hose fitting, not the deck fitting. If there isn't one in the deck fitting, won't the pressure switch on the pump think I've pulled the trigger on the hose gun whenever I unhook the hose?

Thanks.
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 20:44   #2

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch
Re: Deckwash system

You should list the make/model of the pump you bought for better help. As a general rule you'd be better off putting the pump close to the source, and then run your pressure side as long as you need to.

We have a saltwater washdown pump with deck fitting on our boat. We mounted our pump just above the waterline, per the instructions, I assume to keep nastyness from growing in it, but when we run the pump after not using it for a while the water in the line is pretty nasty.

Our deck fittings came with the boat, they have a plastic bayonet type fitting that goes on the hose, so that you don't get water out of the deck fitting unless the hose is attached.

We put ours amidships so that we can use it on the bow for the anchor/rode or at the stern for cleaning the dinghy (followed by a freshwater rinse), and it comes in handy when cleaning fish as well.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 20:48   #3

Jabsco Flush Mount Deck Fitting

This is what we have. The check valve is in the deck fitting.

As for the snap fitting, if it's a speedfit/pushfit setup those are actually better than traditional hose and hose clamps. Way easier to work with, but ya gotta use the plastic tube instead of the regular hose. I'm sure you can get an adapter, but those fittings are pretty cool... if I ever had to replace the hose in my boat I'd use that stuff.
Old 16-05-2016, 18:26   #4

Okay, thanks. The check valve in the deck fitting makes sense. The Jabsco website seemed to me to be saying it was in the hose fitting, which didn't make sense. Still not sure how close I have to be to the inlet, other than the closer the better. The JABSCO website is not very helpful, at least as far as I could find.

I also have another question, but will make it a separate post.
Old 16-05-2016, 19:31   #5

These pumps like to push water, not pull it. So mount it as close to the thru-hull as you can, and mount it just above the waterline if you can.

You're much better off pushing the water 20ft than pulling it 10ft and pushing it 10ft.

My Shurflo blaster pump is rated about half the power of yours, and it's a few inches above the waterline in the engine room, about 5-6' from the actual thru-hull.

BTW I picked up a cool thing at Home Depot, it's a poor man's pressure washer... it's a telescoping wand that fits on the hose that goes from 3' to 6 or 8', with a high pressure nozzle on the end. Really works great for washing the anchor as it comes over the bow roller.
Old 16-05-2016, 21:53   #6

thanks again! I'll definitely try out the pressure wash wand.

Tags
deck