Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2016, 09:45   #1

Deck wash and cockpit shower

This question is related to my previous one on thru hull size. I would like to have a freshwater supply in my cockpit, for showers etc. Is it better to plumb the freshwater into the deckwash pump, or to tee off from the existing freshwater plumbing to a separate shower head in the cockpit? Thanks
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 09:52   #2

Re: Deck wash and cockpit shower

I would go with the freshwater plumbing and go hot/cold also! If going cold only then either... assuming your washdown is not salt water! One advantage of your normal freshwater system is it's usually always on... that way when get in the cockpit dripping wet from swimming etc, you can fresh rinse without going below to turn on the deck wash and getting water all over.
I really liked having warm water on the stern shower. ... and definitely have fresh water shower setup.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 10:17   #3

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse

At the deckwash pump - i can select salt or fresh water on a vlave. So the deckwash outlet is either or.

The shower is on the transom and plumbed hot and cold/ fresh..... you wont ever regret it .

LD
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 10:18   #4

Okay, thanks. that makes sense.
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 08:21   #5

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamadriver View Post
At the deckwash pump - i can select salt or fresh water on a vlave. So the deckwash outlet is either or.

The shower is on the transom and plumbed hot and cold/ fresh..... you wont ever regret it .

LD
Would very much appreciate a photo of this setup. It is high on my list. Some of the Irwin 38's were actually produced with a swim platform fold down stern, sadly not mine though.
Old 14-03-2016, 08:41   #6

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse

Sure- ill be out there this weekend and take a picture.

Its pretty simple:

The deck wash pressure pump is accessible in the boat under a panel. Its a paramax 4. Before the inlet to the pump there is a manifold that has fresh water and sea water. You flip the one you you want it to draw from.

On my boat the deck wash fitting is in the cockpit ( and Im plumbing another one in the chain locker)

The shower is freshwater, the hot water comes off a T at the hotwater tank and the the fresh water comes from the the fresh water manifold.

Its so nice on passage to be able to hose down the cockpit and deck with pressurised seawater.

I wouldnt have boat with out either of these things.
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 09:13   #7

A 3 way bronze valve would work fine for that "manifold". Just be careful it stays fully one way or another... or you could end up with salt water in your fresh system! Frankly I see no need for a salt water shower. Jump in!

Old 14-03-2016, 09:55   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I bought an excellent shower from Hopcar, (Hopkins Carter) it stows completely hid and is hot and cold fresh water.
I've bought SS faucets from him also and will install freshwater wash down in both ends of the boat so that with one 25' hose I can wash the whole boat if I like.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 10:35   #9

Boat: 1975 CT-41

I took a serious shortcut and put a longer hose on the shower and just pull it through the porthole to use it outside. The shower head has an on/off valve.
Briandownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 15:08   #10

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I would go with the freshwater plumbing and go hot/cold also! If going cold only then either... assuming your washdown is not salt water! One advantage of your normal freshwater system is it's usually always on... that way when get in the cockpit dripping wet from swimming etc, you can fresh rinse without going below to turn on the deck wash and getting water all over.
I really liked having warm water on the stern shower. ... and definitely have fresh water shower setup.
I have a heat exchange manafold for heating fresh water for cocpit shower or sink , however I need to run the engine for ifor a while for it to heat the water, which is seldom at anchor. Does anyone have an effecent alternet heating system?

Thanks
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 15:13   #11

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
+1 for hot shower on the stern...especially on a cold day. Or any day really.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 15:33   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryg View Post
I have a heat exchange manafold for heating fresh water for cocpit shower or sink , however I need to run the engine for ifor a while for it to heat the water, which is seldom at anchor. Does anyone have an effecent alternet heating system?

Thanks
Yeah, it's all about the whole system. I had hot water heater/engine exchanger, hi output alternator and engine drive water maker. So I most often had hot or warm water. I found the heater water would stay warm for 12-24 hours. But if you are solar etc, then, you're gonna have a cold rinse!

Old 14-03-2016, 16:13   #13

Boat: Endeavourcat 30

Quote:
A 3 way bronze valve would work fine for that "manifold". Just be careful it stays fully one way or another... or you could end up with salt water in your fresh system! Frankly I see no need for a salt water shower. Jump in!
There maybe good reasons to not "Jump in".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	240
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	120721  
CapnBazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 16:24   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBazza View Post
There maybe good reasons to not "Jump in".
Probably so... down under!

Old 14-03-2016, 17:34   #15

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
A 3 way bronze valve would work fine for that "manifold". Just be careful it stays fully one way or another... or you could end up with salt water in your fresh system! ....
Seems to me that this system would be contaminating the fresh water (slightly) every time it is switched ?
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit, deck, shower